Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding buddy told me my bike is leaking. He seems to think it is coming from the exhaust. I did notice a slight puddle whenever I park the bike, but I thought it was no big deal since my bike is new. It was sort of bad today, because he could see smoke come out when I am riding. I was wondering if it could be the leaky hinges I read Nate talking about? I don't think it is the oil, because the level still looks ok to me. What else could it be? I did notice that I got through gas like crazy on this bike, but I thought it was due to the larger cc compared to my old m620ie.

If it is a leaky tank, would Ducati replace it since I just bought my bike a few months ago? I do have a dent, but I think that is unrelated. Well, I'm finally due for my 1st 600 mile service so hopefully they will resolve the problem.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
leak + smoke = oil

I am not familiar with ducati engines but i know if you over fill the oil in some bikes the countershaft (the front sprocket) seal will start to leak. another thing to check would be the simple stuff such as your oil drain plug and or filter, find the leak and trace it back to where it starts.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I don't think it is gas leaking, pretty sure symptoms would be VERY different. :eek: Is it cold where you are? Could it just be condensation? What is the puddle under the bike, if it's gas you would smell it, if its oil it would be brownish? If your bike is new, don't sweat it, it'll be a dealer issue.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
MTL-DUC said:
I don't think it is gas leaking, pretty sure symptoms would be VERY different. :eek: Is it cold where you are? Could it just be condensation? What is the puddle under the bike, if it's gas you would smell it, if its oil it would be brownish? If your bike is new, don't sweat it, it'll be a dealer issue.
I would tend to agree with this. It's very common for water to drip from exhaust pipes in cycles and cars. Is the "smoke" bluish or greyish? Blue would indicate oil burning from the heat of the pipe. Otherwise you're probably just observing the results of combustion, and/ or the warmed up water vapor of combustion condensing when it hits the colder air outside the exhaust system. Stick your finger in the puddle and check for viscosity- all will be revealed. Fingers here are crossed for you- best of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MTL-DUC said:
It was pretty cold where I am last night. I do smell something. I bought my bike out of state from Ferracci, but I will get it serviced in NJ. That shouldn't be an issue, should it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
what about the overflow tube from the gas tank? if you feel like you are going through gas like crazy you could be overfilling and losing a lot out the overflow. don't ask me how i know? ;D

does it happen just after you fill up or when the tank is completely empty?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
c_rex said:
I would tend to agree with this. It's very common for water to drip from exhaust pipes in cycles and cars. Is the "smoke" bluish or greyish? Blue would indicate oil burning from the heat of the pipe. Otherwise you're probably just observing the results of combustion, and/ or the warmed up water vapor of combustion condensing when it hits the colder air outside the exhaust system. Stick your finger in the puddle and check for viscosity- all will be revealed. Fingers here are crossed for you- best of luck.
I stuck a piece of paper in the puddle & it looked like brown oil. Quite a big puddle, but when I stand my bike up straight while engine is relatively cold the oil level takes awhile to fill the window, but it still looks like it is within the proper level. I just warmed up the engine a bit per the owners manual to check the oil level, but I got a bit nervous & shut down the engine because I don't want to do any damage to it.

I might have overcompensated & put too much oil in now. I wanted to see if it still leaks. If it does not leak out in the next day, what is the best way for me to drain the excess oil out?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Turkey baster, or drinking straw

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
kopfjager said:
Turkey baster, or drinking straw
+1

I kinda still get the condensation vibe. Put your finger in the puddle, is it oily, greasy. Should be a major difference between oil & water. I am in Montreal (cold, no freakin' cold), and everytime I warm up my bike i get a puddle of water underneath, and water dripping from one can to another (S2R). If oil is burning somewhere, its gonna smell alot. Steam coming from exhaust could be confused with smoke, i guess.

rich

·
Registered
760 Posts
Here's a few more things to be aware of about oil leaks. If that's what it is.

1) When oil is cold it's thick and doesn't tend to leak, unless it's real bad.

2) Where is the oil leaking from? You'll see the dirt and wetness accumulating around/near the source of the leak. Just follow the dirt to the source and remember gravity tends to pull the oil down to the lowest point... If it's not obvious, maybe because it's dirty. Then clean it and warm it up for a while (maybe even go for a little ride not to far away) to see where the leak is coming from. Having someone follow you is also a good idea, but not completely needed.

3) Did you/someone else just do some work? (I'm not knocking anyone here)

4) When oil leaks near/on the rear wheel and you're riding bad things happen. So be aware of this and just don't push it. No knee draggin or abrupt throttle imputs until it's fixed.

5) You'll have to loose more than half the bikes volume (about a liter and a half) before you have a chance of damaging the engine due to oil starvation. (I've done this and the bike was fine other than the broken cylinder stud which caused the leak)

And if you're "smelling something" that's most likely the oil being burned by the heat of the pipe(s)

Best of luck, hope it's painless.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2001cromo said:
Here's a few more things to be aware of about oil leaks. If that's what it is.

1) When oil is cold it's thick and doesn't tend to leak, unless it's real bad.

2) Where is the oil leaking from? You'll see the dirt and wetness accumulating around/near the source of the leak. Just follow the dirt to the source and remember gravity tends to pull the oil down to the lowest point... If it's not obvious, maybe because it's dirty. Then clean it and warm it up for a while (maybe even go for a little ride not to far away) to see where the leak is coming from. Having someone follow you is also a good idea, but not completely needed.

3) Did you/someone else just do some work? (I'm not knocking anyone here)

4) When oil leaks near/on the rear wheel and you're riding bad things happen. So be aware of this and just don't push it. No knee draggin or abrupt throttle imputs until it's fixed.

5) You'll have to loose more than half the bikes volume (about a liter and a half) before you have a chance of damaging the engine due to oil starvation. (I've done this and the bike was fine other than the broken cylinder stud which caused the leak)

And if you're "smelling something" that's most likely the oil being burned by the heat of the pipe(s)

Best of luck, hope it's painless.
Thanks, I feel much better now. The good news & bad news is that the bike is still leaking. Good that I may not have to drain it, bad that I have a problem with the leak.

I have not done any work on my bike at all. I am @ 599 miles, so I am scheduled to bring it in for service on Tuesday. I have just been riding it as per the instructions on breaking the bike in. Been pretty careful with it, but did have a mystery dent somehow.

What is the danger of riding the bike when the oil is over the suggested levels. I may just get the bike trucked to the dealer.

Thank you! I really really appreciate all the advice. At least now I can sleep tonight!
[thumbsup]

·
Registered
760 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
What is the danger of riding the bike when the oil is over the suggested levels. I may just get the bike trucked to the dealer.
That's a whole nother story.

If there's too much oil that will/can cause much bigger problems.

Remember this, "most (if not all) fluids are incompressible" and when somethings gotta give it's not going to be the fluid... usually seals and other (weak links) break/go first. But don't loose any sleep over this. Just check your Oil level, which you've said before was "OK".

This is why you'll/you've read "make sure not to overfill your oil...." in other threads. When the bike is perfectly level (ie: not on a rear stand) and warm, you should see the oil level right between the 2 points in the window.

The 2V engines (air cooled) can take a lot of abuse and keep on ticking, they're very simple engines. And they shouldn't leak. Not to mention, your's is still covered under warranty. [thumbsup]

Sounds like you've already made the right decision to have the bike trucked to the shop. Better safe than sorry. Let them tell you what it was and keep learning for next time.

Best of luck and please post what the leak turned out to be.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2001cromo said:

Remember this, "most (if not all) fluids are incompressible" and when somethings gotta give it's not going to be the fluid... usually seals and other (weak links) break/go first. But don't loose any sleep over this. Just check your Oil level, which you've said before was "OK".

This is why you'll/you've read "make sure not to overfill your oil...." in other threads. When the bike is perfectly level (ie: not on a rear stand) and warm, you should see the oil level right between the 2 points in the window.

The 2V engines (air cooled) can take a lot of abuse and keep on ticking, they're very simple engines. And they shouldn't leak. Not to mention, your's is still covered under warranty. [thumbsup]

Sounds like you've already made the right decision to have the bike trucked to the shop. Better safe than sorry. Let them tell you what it was and keep learning for next time.

It's only a problem if I ride it right? I did run the engine for a minute or two, and I am just leaving it to leak right now. It is still leaking so hopefully it will be perfect level on Tuesday. Does this also mean I do not need an oil change? [laugh]

BTW Was that a joke about draining the oil? Can't I just open something & have it drain out if I need to or should I just leave it for the dealer?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
You have to overfill a lot before it will damage anything. If you can still see any part of the sight glass being empty you're fine. How much oil did you add?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ducpainter said:
You have to overfill a lot before it will damage anything. If you can still see any part of the sight glass being empty you're fine. How much oil did you add?
I did a LOT! I can't see any empty when I put it upright, but the bike is off & still leaking. I'm not going to turn it on with all that oil in there.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Does your manual really say check the oil after running the engine?

How soon after stopping the engine did you check it?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shooter said:
Does your manual really say check the oil after running the engine?

How soon after stopping the engine did you check it?
I woke up the night after my friend told me about smoke coming from bike and checked my bike. I found a puddle of oil. I started bike up a bit to warm engine, then I think I checked like right after I stopped the engine, then again 10 to 15 minutes later.
It was very very low so I didn't know if it was bad to keep the engine running. I shut it off & I then turned it off & poured like half a container of oil in. I came back & it was too full & still leaking, so I just left it now. I keep moving the bike to see if there are fresh oil stains and there still is. It looks like it is leaking from engine.

This is what manual says:

Checking engine oil level (fig. 54)
Engine oil level can be checked through the sight glass
(1) provided on the clutch cover.
When checking oil level, the motorcycle should be
upright and the engine warm. Allow a few minutes for oil
to settle to a steady level after stopping the engine.
Oil level should be between the marks near the sight
glass.
Top up oil level with SHELL Advance Ultra 4, if low.
Undo the filler plug (2) and top up to correct level. Refit
the plug.
Important
Engine oil and oil filters must be changed by a
Ducati Dealer or Authorized Workshop at regular
intervals, as specified in the routine maintenance chart

Attachments

·
Banned
33 Posts
I think you answered your own question on what to do, "I bought it a few months ago". Go back to the dealer. If they don't help you for free, they are a bad dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2001cromo said:

UPDATE
Dealer picked up my bike yesterday with truck & noticed the extensive oil stains on my garage floor. (BTW I can't seem to get rid of them if anyone has tips)
He asked me if it were from my bike and I said yes.
Got a call today and it turns out the cover was loose. He said he was unsure if it was the dealer or from the 1st 600 miles. (Actually, I only had 599 miles. ;))
No wonder! It seemed to me like the oil was coming out from everywhere!
Well, I'm going to pick up my bike tomorrow & I hope it's all squared away!
[thumbsup]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts