Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has been sitting for about a year since I've been busy renovating my home. I've managed to take it out a for a few rides but for the most part it has been collecting dust. With winter approaching again I was wondering if I should "winterize" the bike. Drain the gas? Lube chain? etc. Also - I'm due for a 12k tune-up which will probably be done this winter so I didn't want to completely mothball the bike.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
All those are good ideas, but I'm lazy, I just make sure I go start my bike and let it run till it's warm every 2-3 weeks over the winter.

Justin

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats typically what I do as well, but i have ridden so little the past year I though it might be something worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Well if it's been really sitting a while, it's probably a good idea to change timing belts, and do a full service on your chain.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's my take:

Starting up the bike and letting it run (even until warm) can sometimes cause more harm than it does good. The bike must get to sufficient operating temperature and stay there for quite a while to burn off any moisture. This includes moisture in the crank case, but especially in places like exhaust pipes and such. Overall it is usually more adviseable to leave the bike sitting if you can't get it out for a nice long ride.

I personally would change the oil/filter (even though it has not been running), add fuel stabilizer and let it run through the carbs (i.e. take the bike for a ride), ensure the chain is lubed well, keep the tires inflated and get them off the ground if you can (front/rear stand) to avoid flat spots. Moisture can accumulate in the tank as well, so top the tank off before storing. Add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and spin the motor over by hand to coat the cylinder walls. You can also buy "fogger" sprays commonly sold in marine stores to coat the cylinders.

Once you've got the bike ready, just let it sit through the winter. Don't forget to remove the battery and bring it inside to a utility room or something. Cold weather does a number on batteries. Buy an automatic trickle charger, hook it up and forget about it.

-Danimal

·
Banned
897 Posts
Danimal said:
Here's my take:

Starting up the bike and letting it run (even until warm) can sometimes cause more harm than it does good. The bike must get to sufficient operating temperature and stay there for quite a while to burn off any moisture. This includes moisture in the crank case, but especially in places like exhaust pipes and such. Overall it is usually more adviseable to leave the bike sitting if you can't get it out for a nice long ride.

I personally would change the oil/filter (even though it has not been running), add fuel stabilizer and let it run through the carbs (i.e. take the bike for a ride), ensure the chain is lubed well, keep the tires inflated and get them off the ground if you can (front/rear stand) to avoid flat spots. Moisture can accumulate in the tank as well, so top the tank off before storing. Add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and spin the motor over by hand to coat the cylinder walls. You can also buy "fogger" sprays commonly sold in marine stores to coat the cylinders.

Once you've got the bike ready, just let it sit through the winter. Don't forget to remove the battery and bring it inside to a utility room or something. Cold weather does a number on batteries. Buy an automatic trickle charger, hook it up and forget about it.

-Danimal
+1
There is some benefit to changing the oil and fliter after everything else is done, You have fresh oil in the crankcase with no combustion by-products etc. Also, the fogging oil will coat the valves and seats as well as the combustion chamber, preventing condensation from leaving deposits there as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.