Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike had some weird thing happen yesterday. I rode home from work in stop and go traffic. Then I get home and my wife and I hop on the bike to go get some food. We hit bumber to bumber traffic again. So we spend about 20 minutes in this traffic and then it happened. I went to pull away from a light and the bike died when I gave it gas. I immediately tried to start it again and it started fine. The minute I gave it gas, it died again. I was puzzled. I told the wife to get off and I was able to get it safely to a Wendy's. Spent about 10 minutes checking it over before I restarted it. It started fine but then died when I gave it gas again. Waited another 10 minutes and it got better. I was able to give it a little more gas before it died. Then it was fine and we rode home.

It was about 70 degrees outside. I was reving high in first gear for about 20 minutes off and on in traffic.

I have some ideas but nothing substantial. What do you think happened here?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I had exact same thing happen last weekend going downhill on the local mountain ride. I coasted to bottom, trying to start it several times. It started when I was at bottom, I only found the fuel line sitting kind of awkward at bottom right side of tank at rear. I think it either had a slight pinch at the line at rear of tank, looked like it was sitting on the line just a bit. Either that or a vapor lock, as it ran fine after that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
you may have had some shitty fuel or a few beads of water in the bottom of your tank. the same thing happend to me on my 916 so I drained the fuel tank on the side of the road & had no problem after that

·
Registered
796 Posts
Does sound like vapor lock, did you try opening the gas tank while it was dead?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Does sound like vapor lock, did you try opening the gas tank while it was dead?
DTM is right. Open fuel cap and if a big "Whoosh" sound
comes out then vapor lock is culprit. I did not have that but I coasted about 5 minutes downhill. I had been riding mine hard Up and Down the mountain, then it sat in the hot sun before starting back down.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't even think about Vapor Lock. I didn't open the gas cap. I will try that next time. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I was puzzled.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vapor lock. I had the same problem ONCE last summer when the bike was running semi-hot. Until now, I always wondered what the problem had been. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts