Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just getting the bike on the road for the summer. Its an 03 M800i.e. in partial throttle, no matter speed with the tach at about 4,000-4,500 it kind of bogs/surges and backfires a little. I can hear the back fire through the airbox (open top). I know its fuel injected, so jetting problems are out i assume. Is there anything else I can check. Besides that the bike runs great, strong power all through the powerband etc. For mods, not much. Remus slip-ons and open top airbox. New gas so thats out.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
This is an on going issue with almost all DUCS there are about 300 threads for poping surging and back firing. Mostly the reason is beacuse the A/F ratio under 4500 rpm on a close loop ECU.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry didnt find anything in regards to this. is there some tuning that can be done, or a power commander that can fix it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
sorry didnt find anything in regards to this. is there some tuning that can be done, or a power commander that can fix it?
1. trimm adjustment[dealer or fellow Ducatista with hard/software to do it]
2. TFI controller
3. PC
4. DP ECU
5. Reflash OEM ECU

my 0.02

·
Registered
24 Posts
did it run ok before you stored?
because if so the tunning issues would be out of question, you have to think what will cause the bike to behave this way after sitting for a few months.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the bike over the winter. It had some cosmetic problems and wasn't maintained for crap. I changed the timing belts, plugs, oil etc. It has a full tank of fresh gas, it's only at a certain rpm with little about 1/4 throttle just cruising when it does it.

What's weird is it does not do it when the bike is cold, it starts after about 15 minutes of riding. Also if I keep the rpms up above 5K it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the bike over the winter. It had some cosmetic problems and wasn't maintained for crap. I changed the timing belts, plugs, oil etc. It has a full tank of fresh gas, it's only at a certain rpm with little about 1/4 throttle just cruising when it does it.

What's weird is it does not do it when the bike is cold, it starts after about 15 minutes of riding. Also if I keep the rpms up above 5K it doesn't do it.

close the air bleeding screws all the way in ( take note were they are now) and sync the t/b, then open them 1/2 turn each and go for a ride and see if it's better, the closer the bleeders the richer it'll run, try playing with that.
also making them even does't mean that both cyl will run @ the same co%, this is a very rough test to see what the problem is, if it gets better will be only tunning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts