Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a Gorilla alarm on my S4R. Any tips on where to put it, how to mount it, and where to put the LED? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I mounted mine on top of my battery (between the battery and the tank). My 2001 has the battery standing upright and there is just enough room, it may not work the same on yours.

I did not mount an LED. My thinking is that I want it to go off. The LED will warn them and they may just jump to the drill the hole in the battery technique... But who knows what's best? Just make sure to set it to the "hardest to set off" setting, otherwise it will be constantly going off....

jl

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey whitedragon...please let me know how that alarm system goes...I saw that one and another one called the Scorpio system (which seems to have more add-ons like motor disable and stuff for theft)...but that's around $200 versus the Gorilla's $80...

Please let me know how well it works and wat are the pros and cons when u get a chance...Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sure will. I looked at the scorpio, but didn't feel the cost was worth it--especially looking at the serious installation.

W

·
0 Posts
I didn't mount the LED either. My feelings are mixed on the Gorrila... I'd just take it back if you can.

Joe

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Whitedragon13: SERIOUS instalaltion for the Scorpio??

I installed mine in under 1 hour, and it only took that long because I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. It's easily the easiest electronic alarm installation I've ever consideed or done.

And it works GREAT.

And, it's TINY.

I have been very impressed with it so far.

Jim G

A

·
0 Posts
Jim..

You have the Scorpio alarm? I was just checking it out in a bike magazine. It cost $299. The key fob looked like a mini palm pilot. Is that the one you installed? I'm considering one for my bike. If it's that simple to install, I may get it quick. The company is right here in Phoenix.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Is there any insurance premium advantage/discount to having an alarm? There are obvious security advantages, just curious on the other end. I know there have been a few write-ups in the Brit mags about bike security and bike theft being HUGE problems over there, to the point where some insurers won't even give coverage for certain bikes and where folks live, even in nice areas. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have my bike stolen.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim-

I only say SERIOUS because the gorilla has 2 wires. The scorpion has a lot more depending on how crazy you get...unfortunately, I'm crazy. So I stopped myself from getting it.

Yes, I'm getting some break on my insurance. Paying $500/year for my S4R

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
AZMNSTR: Yes, that's the Scorpio alarm I have.

I bought:

- The base unit ($299) which is much smaller than a typical cigarette pack. Can be installed at ANY angle, anywhere, as the sensors in it are solid state. Includes the "mini PDA" type remote you see in their ads

- The battery backup option: no added wiring - internal to the main unit, and adds maybe $30. Keeps the alarm working even if someone knows how to disable your bike battery

- The proximity sensor option: adds a "zone alarm" that works really well and whose sensitivity is adjustable. Costs about $30 to add, and adds only one module of size approx 1/2" x 1" x 2" plus wiring harness

- The remote "kill" option, that allows you to disable the ignition circuit if someone has grabbed the bike or is in the process of trying to steal it. Adds about $30 and a another tiny module that is maybe 1/2" x 1" x 1.5" plus wiring leads.

Check out the Scorpio website for more details. The website even publishes the installation manual, so you can see firsthand before you buy how easy it is to install.

The base installation requires tapping into just 4 wires on your wiring harness going to the taillight area:
- Ground wire
- Taillight hot lead
- RH signal hot lead
- LH signal hot lead

This done very easily with the tapping connectors they provide (which are also waterproof). Only issue I had was that to actually snap the connectors shut, I had to use pliers gently, rather than just hand finger pressure. But once they snapped shut, they held like glue.

I found the right colored wires to tap into by using a magnifying glass (no kidding) to view the silly small wiring diagram that Ducati included in the back of the owner's manual. I'm sorry I cannot remember the colors, but if any of you send me a private email to [email protected], I'll look it up for you when I get back into town (I still kept the install notes I made)

If you add the remote kill option, you need to find the black wire that runs from the ignition module to the battery negative terminal - I haven't had time yet to decipher the tiny wiring diagram to find it, so I have not yet added the kill function.

This is a super sophisticated design that was well executed. The remote functionality is nothing short of amazing. It already paid its way last weekend when my 3 week old bike was "approached" while I was in a restaurant, and it chirped and scared off someone. The remote in my pocket both vibrated and sounded its own remote alarm. It works up to 1/2 mile away.

The only negatives I have found so far are:

1. The display on the remote is a little faint and hard to read because of its low intensity and tiny graphics (they cram a LOT into a tiny unit!!)

2. MY wife gets irritated when she provokes it into its "warning chirps" mode as she walks by too close while taking out the weekly trash bin!

I installed my components under the seat. To ENSURE that there would be no presure on them from the seat, I removed the cover that covers the toolkit, but left the toolkit in there. Everything fits fine, and you can put on or take off the seat like normal.

I have been super impressed with the unit and would recommend it very highly.

And if anyone out there can tell me where to find that wire that runs from the ignition module to ground, you'd save me a lot of magnifying glass time!!

Jim G

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I forgot one more advantage to getting the proximity alarm: If you park your Ducati right beside one or more other friend's bikes, your proximity alarm also protects their bikes to some extent of course.

The remote also allows you to arm the alarm WITHOUT the proximity alarm if you are parked in as dense parking or foot traffic area of course. You simply press a different button combination to arm the system.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed the Gorilla last night. I was in a hurry, so I didn't install the LED or the tilt-sensor. Basically, I velcroed it to the bike under the seat, which meant I had to take the tool-box cover off for it to fit. Even being under the seat, it's LOUD.

I 'll tidy up some wires later and install the tilt-sensor.

T

·
0 Posts
2. MY wife gets irritated when she provokes it into its "warning chirps" mode as she walks by too close while taking out the weekly trash bin!
Any feedback on how you get your wife to take out the trash? I'd like to try that Mod on my girlfriend!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
How to get your wife to take out the trash?

Easy. You just get a job like mine where I am usually out of town on business the day the trash needs to go out to the curb!

That is the ONLY way I have found to get her to take the trash out, and I've been looking for other methods for 29 years . . .

Jim G

1 - 15 of 15 Posts