Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my 696, the gearing is perfect for around town riding. 2nd gear riding around corners puts the engine at about 3000 rpm.
Since I got the 1200, 2nd gear same speed puts the engine at around 2000 which is too low and bog down coming out of the corner so I have to clutch in and slip a little coming out of the corner.
1st gear is just too much.
Anyone has done the conversion yet?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If the problem is only the city ..... think about riding in Urban mode ... then 1st gear will be perfect ..... or ride in sport mode and use 2nd gear

1st gear feels too much but remember this machine yellow line is 9.500 rpm
Just my thoughts ...

Cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I had my 696, the gearing is perfect for around town riding. 2nd gear riding around corners puts the engine at about 3000 rpm.
Since I got the 1200, 2nd gear same speed puts the engine at around 2000 which is too low and bog down coming out of the corner so I have to clutch in and slip a little coming out of the corner.
1st gear is just too much.
Anyone has done the conversion yet?
Hi Jason,

Urban mode works OK for me in the city. You can go up 2 teeth on your rear sprocket and it will make 2nd and 3rd gear a bit smoother in the lower RPM's. This will also shorten 1st gear though. I had an older Monster s4 that I did this too and 1st gear was very short but 2nd and 3rd were perfect and it was worth doing. On my Monster 1200 it is not as bad as the S4 was in the low RPMs but going up on the rear sprocket will get you what your looking for. You will most likely lose a little top end but not much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jason,

Urban mode works OK for me in the city. You can go up 2 teeth on your rear sprocket and it will make 2nd and 3rd gear a bit smoother in the lower RPM's. This will also shorten 1st gear though. I had an older Monster s4 that I did this too and 1st gear was very short but 2nd and 3rd were perfect and it was worth doing. On my Monster 1200 it is not as bad as the S4 was in the low RPMs but going up on the rear sprocket will get you what your looking for. You will most likely lose a little top end but not much.
I wish the urban mode has smoother throttle response.
I find the smallest throttle movement makes the bike jerk forward and back at lower speed when the road surface is not smooth. I look like a bobblehead.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Jason,

I wish the urban mode has smoother throttle response.
I find the smallest throttle movement makes the bike jerk forward and back at lower speed when the road surface is not smooth. I look like a bobblehead.
Not sure how long you have had your Monster but after some time in the saddle you will get more precise with the throttle. These high torque twins are not as easy to ride at lower speeds but much more exciting to ride than inline fours.
Believe it or not the older ones were MUCH harder the rude at slower speeds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure how long you have had your Monster but after some time in the saddle you will get more precise with the throttle. These high torque twins are not as easy to ride at lower speeds but much more exciting to ride than inline fours.
Believe it or not the older ones were MUCH harder the rude at slower speeds.
I had a 696 over a year just traded it in for a 1200.:x
Been riding since 08. I had an R6 which also had electronic throttle body and it was also choppy especially between on and off throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts