Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: Question to Shadowchaser re: big rigs and motorcycles

silentbob said:
I agree with everything you posted on page one, except flashing the lights. As you stated the trucker may confuse your intentions.

I always use my lights to signal trucks that it is ok for them to move over in front of me and it seems to be pretty universally accepted. So, I wouldn't want to confuse them as I am about to pass.
Ciao SB, That's exactly why I stipulated that you should be at least two car lengths back, and paying attention to not only the trucks turn signals before you initiate the pass, but also the traffic conditions directly in front of the truck you are passing. To allow an extra margin of safety to cover the ignorance quota which sadly continues to rise amongst the driving population here in America. :-[

It has always been the correct and socially accepted practice of the vehicle being passed to briefly turn its headlamps completely OFF and then back ON, to signal the passing vehicle that it is clear to come back over into the right lane.

It has also always been the correct and socially accepted practice of the vehicle about to initiate the pass to briefly flash its headlamps from LOW to HIGH beam to signal the intended pass.

(The LOW to HIGH beam flash to pass practice originated in Europe with its ancient and constantly added on to thoroughfares. The roads there are much tighter, twisty, and with many more blind curves, and hills, as well as much more access points to contend with. A motorist being passed could really create a problem if they were to suddenly speed up while another is trying to overtake them. This is why so many European vehicles are equipped with a high beam flasher switch to call attention to the intended pass. Even our beloved monsters have a high beam flasher switch which is mounted as a trigger style switch on the leading edge of the left hand grip controls. ;) )

Unfortunately there are a very large number of Rookie drivers in Semis at this time in America. :-[ A small number of these drivers either misunderstand or are simply to LAZY to reach forward to the dash to turn the headlamps off, and then back on again. It is much easier to flash your high beams now that most vehicles have the high beam flashers mounted in conjunction with the turn signal array. :p

Any time any of the older drivers (myself included) are passing one of these Rookies and they pull this lame practice and flash their high-beams in my mirror to let us know it is clear, we always make a point to chastise them in a number of different ways. The most common being to address them on the CB after making the pass in conjunction with not responding with our courtesy flashers which flash our marker lights on the trailer and tractor. The CB statements usually are to this effect: "Well ROOKIE I would have thanked you for signaling me over except that your DAMN high beams in my mirror have blinded me. I'll have to wait for the spots in my eyes to clear before I can see my switches." This lazy practice, and the resulting hostilities have started many heated arguments, but through the wonderful effect of peer-pressure, and community influence always end with the ignorant or lazy party ceasing the practice. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I've been using the come up slowly on a big rig from the driver's side, wait, flash high beam, then pass routine now and it actually feels quite good, like I'm doing something right on the road, thanks sc! [thumbsup]

from what I can tell, it kind of sucks for the car right in front of me in the same lane, but I can tell they definitely see me too when i do it ;D

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Re: Question to Shadowchaser re: big rigs and motorcycles

SHADOWCHASER said:
It has always been the correct and socially accepted practice of the vehicle being passed to briefly turn its headlamps completely OFF and then back ON, to signal the passing vehicle that it is clear to come back over into the right lane.
Yeah, I always do that when I am in my truck, but no bikes have an on/off switch these days so I just flash when I'm on the bike.

So, when a bike flashes its lights, it's harder to know their intentions.

Here's my other ride.

·
Registered
498 Posts
silentbob said:
Yeah, I always do that when I am in my truck, but no bikes have an on/off switch these days so I just flash when I'm on the bike.

So, when a bike flashes its lights, it's harder to know their intentions.

Here's my other ride.

"10-4" I usually don't flash/welcome over trucks while on the bike just for that reason [cheeky] [thumbsup].............I try not to ride behind trucks period.

They obstruct my view of the road, and the rocks, road debris, and turbulance is a pregnant dog! [cheeky] [laugh]

Niiiiiiice secondary ride ya got there. [thumbsup] Whats she running for a power plant and trans?

6X6.......Man ya gotta love those military rigs! >:D [thumbsup]

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
SHADOWCHASER said:
"10-4" I usually don't flash/welcome over trucks while on the bike just for that reason [cheeky] [thumbsup].............I try not to ride behind trucks period.

They obstruct my view of the road, and the rocks, road debris, and turbulance is a pregnant dog! [cheeky] [laugh]

Niiiiiiice secondary ride ya got there. [thumbsup] Whats she running for a power plant and trans?

6X6.......Man ya gotta love those military rigs! >:D [thumbsup]
It has a 478 cu in multifuel turbo diesel. It'll burn diesel, gas, kerosene, and jet fuel. It has a Spicer transmission, Rockwell transfer case with air shift, and Rockwell axles. It carries 5 tons on road and 2.5 off road. I put some custom 20" x 11" rims on it with a set of 395/85 20's. Now it cruises well on the freeway and has plenty of traction off road.

·
Registered
498 Posts
silentbob said:
It has a 478 cu in multifuel turbo diesel. It'll burn diesel, gas, kerosene, and jet fuel. It has a Spicer transmission, Rockwell transfer case with air shift, and Rockwell axles. It carries 5 tons on road and 2.5 off road. I put some custom 20" x 11" rims on it with a set of 395/85 20's. Now it cruises well on the freeway and has plenty of traction off road.
"Multifuel" SWEET! >:D

That sounds like too much fun. Hows the Axle articulation on that thing? She outta crawl the rocks like a dream! [thumbsup]

(Sorry for the Thread jack, but once an avid 4 wheeler always an enthusiast. [cheeky])

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
SHADOWCHASER said:
"Multifuel" SWEET! >:D

That sounds like too much fun. Hows the Axle articulation on that thing? She outta crawl the rocks like a dream! [thumbsup]

(Sorry for the Thread jack, but once an avid 4 wheeler always an enthusiast. [cheeky])
It has the Hendrickson walking beams in the back. The spring pack is attached in the middle to a tube that runs from one side of the truck to the other and pivots on a set of bearings. The ends of the spring rest on the axles. So, the spring handles the static weight of the truck and the axles are free to move up and down without compressing the spring. It's pretty cool to watch. The two rear axles will just walk over obstacles like a giant pair of feet.

You're in SoCal right? You can always come by and take it for a spin.

·
Registered
498 Posts
silentbob said:
It has the Hendrickson walking beams in the back. The spring pack is attached in the middle to a tube that runs from one side of the truck to the other and pivots on a set of bearings. The ends of the spring rest on the axles. So, the spring handles the static weight of the truck and the axles are free to move up and down without compressing the spring. It's pretty cool to watch. The two rear axles will just walk over obstacles like a giant pair of feet.

You're in SoCal right? You can always come by and take it for a spin.
I'm just a severely misplaced Oklahoma boy. [laugh]

I do the continental 48 and am currently in Connecticut, headed to New Jersey, and then Baltimore to pickup my last car.

(Gonna try to catch up with "Statler" there on Sunday since Maya's still on the truck from our Cali adventure.) It'll be neat to see the two White / Red S4Rs Sisters together, and listen to the open Termis roar in stereo. >:D

Just hope the weather holds true to prediction.......supposed to be in the low 50's and I don't have any rain or cold weather gear with me. :p Could improvise with some work gear for the cold, but not the rain. :-X

I get out to Cali Quite a bit. This load I'm filling now is going to Phoenix, LA, and the Bay Area. So I'll get a full tour this trip. Should be out in the AZ, CA. area about the 28th. I'll be spending turkey day at the house in OKC. [thumbsup]

I'd love to see that truck in action, I'll "PM" you if it looks like I'll have time to stop for a bit. ~Steve ;)

[/Threadjack [cheeky]]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would like to know what happened to the courteous truckers of long ago. With the exception of those of you who have posted here, I find truckers now to be rude & drive with little consideration to bikes OR cars! They cut drivers off in order to pass another slow truck, & I have often had or seen close calls with these big rigs. Twenty years ago, one could be on the road & feel safe amongst the trucks. Now, they drive in the left lane, travel WELL over a truck's legal limit, AND over the posted limit & drive like they're in a Mini-Cooper, instaed of hauling 80000 pounds of stuff! Four nights ago, a trucker here in Vegas caused the death of 4 people, & sent 5 more to the hospital when he barrelled into 11 cars @ 60mph, stopped in constrcution traffic. He obviously forgot he needed a little extra stopping room. It's very sad. I miss the days when we could rely on the driving ability of truckers. Now I am fearfiul of them. I wish all were as good as those who have posted here.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mudder-DucS2R said:
I would like to know what happened to the courteous truckers of long ago. With the exception of those of you who have posted here, I find truckers now to be rude & drive with little consideration to bikes OR cars! They cut drivers off in order to pass another slow truck, & I have often had or seen close calls with these big rigs. Twenty years ago, one could be on the road & feel safe amongst the trucks. Now, they drive in the left lane, travel WELL over a truck's legal limit, AND over the posted limit & drive like they're in a Mini-Cooper, instead of hauling 80000 pounds of stuff! Four nights ago, a trucker here in Vegas caused the death of 4 people, & sent 5 more to the hospital when he barrelled into 11 cars @ 60mph, stopped in construction traffic. He obviously forgot he needed a little extra stopping room. It's very sad. I miss the days when we could rely on the driving ability of truckers. Now I am fearful of them. I wish all were as good as those who have posted here.
I can definitely sympathize with you there. :p I am forced to deal with them on a daily basis. :-X

I think that the problem lies with the fact that there are some many under paid rookie drivers on the road today. 90 percent of the total company employed drivers on the road today. (Based on the Owner Operators Association of America's statistics, as well as my own everyday first hand observations.)

These rookies lack experience and etiquette of the older drivers such as myself. Most are fresh out of a Driving school that charged them thousands of dollars to attend, averages only two weeks, and usually is financed at absorptive rates. It teaches them very little practical experience, and just barely enough to pass the CDL testing. Some of the larger companies will train their own drivers in house only to force their continued employment via contracted agreement for their training at a wage rate that averages out to less than the national minimum wage. :p

The companies for general freight don't have much of a profit margin to work with since most of this nations freight charges are still stuck at a 1970's rate. In order to retain the veteran experienced drivers they must pay a great deal more in wages and benefits to keep them aboard. So as a whole they've started to let the older drivers leave, and are currently hiring in lots of rookies. :-[

The Rookies are working for extreemely substandard wages, and are under the gun (only paid by the mile) / obligated by contract to continue their employment for as much as the next three years. This makes for some very crappy attitudes amongst the new drivers, and the over all quality of people stupid enough to undertake this venture with these new types of strings attached are usually less than to be desired. :p :mad:

I rarely get on the CB anymore due to the grade school mentality on there! We have only to thank our economy, and the companies who are trying to maximize their profits by continuing this practice. :-X

I personally wonder just how many lawsuits from the unnecessary loss of lives, and property will have to be incurred before America as a whole does something to correct this problem. :-\

In the meantime I am overly cautious concerning the other trucks on the roads today whether in a car, on my bike, or in my Semi.

People should realize that their best recourse in alleviating this situation concerning the rouge and/or rookie drivers is to report them to the authorities, and their respective companies Safety departments.

All Trucks have a unit number on the tractor, as well as the trailer. (The former being the most important to you as a complainant as well as the company name on it.) The State Police, Highway Patrol, and DOT take extreme interest in aggressive, and/or unsafe truck drivers. One call by your cell phone can ruin a rouge drivers day, or end his/her career depending on their actions. The Individual Safety departments of the Companies that own the trucks take it very seriously as well, and even with minor complaints, if enough of them are reported will terminate the bad apple before he can cause them any further liability. [thumbsup]

I will regularly call in on this type of inconsiderate, and unsafe driver. Whether they are in a truck or a car!

IMO: If more of us were to do this then the bad apples would be removed, and the companies would be forced to better their training regimen, increase their wages, or hire the experienced veterans at a much higher rate. The resulting cut into their profit margins would however cause a long over due rate increase in transportation charges and subsequently the cost for all consumers on all the items we buy and/or consume. :p

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Not that I disagree with you SC but that's what gets a lot of bikers pissed - when someone calls them in.

Aside from that, you've pretty much described everyone on the road, they just happen to be driving a much bigger vehicle around.

<rant>
WTF is wrong with people on the road these days anyway? The left lane is FOR PASSING, not for hanging out because you're scared of changing lanes! Cruise control is a good thing, it helps you maintain a constant speed helping traffic to flow, as opposed to slowing down on every hill BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO USELESS TO REALIZE THAT YOU NEED TO ACCELERATE TO MAINTAIN THE SAME SPEED UP A HILL! If you need to pass someone who's doing 3mph less than you, please, feel free but remember if you're going to get into the fast lane try going *fast*.
</rant>

wow, I think I need a nap.

·
Registered
498 Posts
EvilSteve said:
Not that I disagree with you SC but that's what gets a lot of bikers pissed - when someone calls them in.

Aside from that, you've pretty much described everyone on the road, they just happen to be driving a much bigger vehicle around.

<rant>
WTF is wrong with people on the road these days anyway? The left lane is FOR PASSING, not for hanging out because you're scared of changing lanes! Cruise control is a good thing, it helps you maintain a constant speed helping traffic to flow, as opposed to slowing down on every hill BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO USELESS TO REALIZE THAT YOU NEED TO ACCELERATE TO MAINTAIN THE SAME SPEED UP A HILL! If you need to pass someone who's doing 3mph less than you, please, feel free but remember if you're going to get into the fast lane try going *fast*.
</rant>

wow, I think I need a nap.
You nailed it right on the head ES. The difference being when there is a bad, unsafe, or aggressive driver in a semi the potential for property loss or even the loss of lives is MUCH greater. This is why speed limits and other restrictions for Semis are much stricter, and the fines for breaking these ordinances is much higher as well.

As of February of this year there is a new Federal law which eliminates the ability of CDL holders from being able to take a driving school class to remove points from their records.

It doesn't matter if you receive the points while in your personal car, your bike, or in the Semi itself. If you get a point on your CDL record it stays there for three years minimum.

In states like CA. If you receive just 3 points on your record, you are no longer eligible to drive in the state. Most carriers insurance also stipulates that they will not cover a driver with more than 3 points, so drivers are fired if they accrue the 3 points. CDL driving records are checked quarterly, so if you want to continue your career as a driver you must comply. No ifs, ands, or buts. Total compliance or loss of vocation.

Yes Mate, you do seem like you need a nap. Welcome to what all commercial drivers have to deal with on a daily basis 11 to 14 hrs a day 365 days a year.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Great debate guys! [thumbsup] Thanks SC for posting. It's always a good reminder of these things, even if we're all familiar, I know driving my car I'm guilty of passing on the right and driving way too fast....but of course i NEED a motorcyle! [laugh]
AM

·
Registered
498 Posts
gr8ciehall said:
Great debate guys! [thumbsup] Thanks SC for posting. It's always a good reminder of these things, even if we're all familiar, I know driving my car I'm guilty of passing on the right and driving way too fast....but of course i NEED a motorcycle! [laugh]
AM
Thanx AM! :) Yes you do need your bike! >:D I was an absolute basket case from the time I turned in my old 04'S4R till the time Maya arrived. :p Talk about withdraws. :'( Just ask anyone on the board. :-X I know at least Ash was glad she finally arrived. [laugh]

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of!!!! [laugh] After riding this weekend....i'm totally jonesin!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
SHADOWCHASER said:
Yes Mate, you do seem like you need a nap. Welcome to what all commercial drivers have to deal with on a daily basis 11 to 14 hrs a day 365 days a year.
My ranting isn't directed at you, I'm sure you know that.

I think that any professional (if that's the right word ;)) driver has the same attitude to other traffic. Take NYC taxi drivers (or any taxi drivers I guess but NYC are more relevant to me right now), they have the absolutely no respect for anyone or anything else on the road. I personally think that's because they become desensitized to other people on the road and are basically in a constant state of road rage albeit, a low level of rage. I'm sure truck drivers are the same, they spend so long dealing with the complete and utter morons that drive cars that they're very quick to write off the good driver who messes up once (e.g. not paying attention up a hill and the truck needs to pass and then gets almost by at the top only to have Mr Inattentive speed up again). I'm sure it gets to the point that they basically see anyone else on the road as an obstacle. The root cause for this IMO is people generally being completely oblivious to other people's needs, i.e. totally inconsiderate. Like the guy going 67 in the 65 zone in the fast lane with 15 cars backed up behind him refusing to go any faster because he's passing some other retard doing 63. I'm constantly amazed at the kind of traffic violations people get away with on our highways. I think that people would take lane discipline more seriously if they were ticketed for it. People would think twice about going under the speed limit if there was a minimum speed and they got tickets for it. I personally think traffic would be noticeably better if people *actually* followed the rules of the road.

You've all seen it, you're driving at the speed limit (we're all law abiding citizens here... ;)) and keeping up with the flow of traffic only to find suddenly that everyone's slowing down. You're now going 40 in the "fast" lane, the "slow" lane is going 45 and there's no end in sight. You crest the top of the hill and all of a sudden you're back up to 65. This scenario happens to me at least 3 or 4 times on 87 just about every trip I take. Most of the time, it's someone not obeying lane control or very slow people passing even slower people. On a highway like 87 that causes serious problems because there's only 2 lanes and there's nowhere to get off (~18 miles between exits). I notice it a lot more perhaps because 95% of the time I'm on cruise control going about fast lane speed. I move to the left when I'm not passing and I'll generally get out of people's way who are going faster than me. Once you finally get onto the 3 lane section of 87 the slow lane is generally either empty, has fast people passing in it briefly or has some super slow people in it who are going like 40 in a 65 zone. Most people who want to do the speed limit sit in the middle lane and refuse to move over resulting in fast people going into the ultra slow lane to over take them and the not so fast people refusing to move out of the fast lane.

One of my personal favorites is when you do finally get to an empty section there's that one person who's sitting in the fast lane going a bit over the limit with no other cars in sight and I'm passing them in the slow lane.

We all suffer from the malaise caused but inconsiderate people, we're all likely causing it too, I just think truck drivers have to deal with it a whole lot more and hence have less patience for it than most. I don't personally drive that much (relatively speaking) so I can only imagine how frustrating it is when your income depends on some asshole in front of you who seems to have no idea that there's 30000 lbs of truck behind them and refuses to do the speed limit.

What do I do about it? I move over when possible. I go the speed of the fast lane if I have to move into it. I let people who are faster than me go by. I speed up a little if I can't get out of someone's way. I get by trucks quickly and I thank people, even if it's only in my head, when they're considerate. When I'm on my bike (most of this has been about my travels in the car), I wave at people to thank them as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
EvilSteve said:
My ranting isn't directed at you, I'm sure you know that.

I think that any professional (if that's the right word ;)) driver has the same attitude to other traffic. Take NYC taxi drivers (or any taxi drivers I guess but NYC are more relevant to me right now), they have the absolutely no respect for anyone or anything else on the road. I personally think that's because they become desensitized to other people on the road and are basically in a constant state of road rage albeit, a low level of rage. I'm sure truck drivers are the same, they spend so long dealing with the complete and utter morons that drive cars that they're very quick to write off the good driver who messes up once (e.g. not paying attention up a hill and the truck needs to pass and then gets almost by at the top only to have Mr Inattentive speed up again). I'm sure it gets to the point that they basically see anyone else on the road as an obstacle. The root cause for this IMO is people generally being completely oblivious to other people's needs, i.e. totally inconsiderate. Like the guy going 67 in the 65 zone in the fast lane with 15 cars backed up behind him refusing to go any faster because he's passing some other retard doing 63. I'm constantly amazed at the kind of traffic violations people get away with on our highways. I think that people would take lane discipline more seriously if they were ticketed for it. People would think twice about going under the speed limit if there was a minimum speed and they got tickets for it. I personally think traffic would be noticeably better if people *actually* followed the rules of the road.

You've all seen it, you're driving at the speed limit (we're all law abiding citizens here... ;)) and keeping up with the flow of traffic only to find suddenly that every one's slowing down. You're now going 40 in the "fast" lane, the "slow" lane is going 45 and there's no end in sight. You crest the top of the hill and all of a sudden you're back up to 65. This scenario happens to me at least 3 or 4 times on 87 just about every trip I take. Most of the time, it's someone not obeying lane control or very slow people passing even slower people. On a highway like 87 that causes serious problems because there's only 2 lanes and there's nowhere to get off (~18 miles between exits). I notice it a lot more perhaps because 95% of the time I'm on cruise control going about fast lane speed. I move to the left when I'm not passing and I'll generally get out of people's way who are going faster than me. Once you finally get onto the 3 lane section of 87 the slow lane is generally either empty, has fast people passing in it briefly or has some super slow people in it who are going like 40 in a 65 zone. Most people who want to do the speed limit sit in the middle lane and refuse to move over resulting in fast people going into the ultra slow lane to over take them and the not so fast people refusing to move out of the fast lane.

One of my personal favorites is when you do finally get to an empty section there's that one person who's sitting in the fast lane going a bit over the limit with no other cars in sight and I'm passing them in the slow lane.

We all suffer from the malaise caused but inconsiderate people, we're all likely causing it too, I just think truck drivers have to deal with it a whole lot more and hence have less patience for it than most. I don't personally drive that much (relatively speaking) so I can only imagine how frustrating it is when your income depends on some not a very nice person in front of you who seems to have no idea that there's 30000 lbs of truck behind them and refuses to do the speed limit.

What do I do about it? I move over when possible. I go the speed of the fast lane if I have to move into it. I let people who are faster than me go by. I speed up a little if I can't get out of some one's way. I get by trucks quickly and I thank people, even if it's only in my head, when they're considerate. When I'm on my bike (most of this has been about my travels in the car), I wave at people to thank them as well.
Yeah Mate I know you weren't directing it at me. :) I was just sympathizing with you, and ribbing you a bit also. ;)

It was a very justified rant, and I agree totally with every thing you said, and have also posted in detail above.

Unfortunately the general populace doesn't give a second thought to the act of operating a vehicle on the road. For most its an inconvenience at best, but a necessity just the same. They treat it as if it were their God given right, and don't give a second thought to anyone else on the road. You were very correct in saying that drivers become desensitized in the lager metropolitan areas. The Drivers off all the vehicles do. "Too many rats in a small confined area will eventually kill each other."

What is the answer for the human condition other than our own vigilance? :-\

If I had the answer to that one I would not have to work ever again. ;)

I vote for designated truck and bike lanes similar to the HOV lanes that most states have. That would come at a considerable cost to the tax paying public, and most likely would be voted out for that very reason. :-[

All we can do IMHO is to continue to ride and/or Drive being constantly aware of our surroundings and all of the possible nuts we may encounter. :p

"Murphy"' runs rampant on our nations thorough fares, and I we don't leave him room, he'll take it by force. :'(

Safe Rides my friend. :) ~SC

·
Registered
126 Posts
SC,

I always find it fascinating to hear from people that are really into their work, those rare individuals that try and be the best at what they do. Sure, slackers can drive trucks, but that doesn't mean they even know about all the nuances of doing it right, much less be able to do it right.

I read closely what you wrote & will be making adjustments acordingly.

I like to give a little wave to truckers when passing, trying to spread a bit of positive feeling towards riders. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I was knocked down by a semi (hauling junk cars, incidentally) in a slow speed, maneuvering in traffic kind of accident. The truck was entering the main roadway during a traffic jam, trying to cross several lanes of slow to stopped traffic to make a left turn behind me. He just flat out didn't allow enough room and hit me. Witnesses said the truck driver was on a cell phone during this maneuver. There was also alcohol on his breath.

I was OK; my bike was barely scratched; and his company was very understanding about the price of my forbearance.

One result, however, is a certain skepticism about how great all these "professionals" are. I treat all trucks as if they were driven by sociopathic crack addicts. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only way to be even a little bit safe.

Tommy T.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Tommy T. said:
I was knocked down by a semi (hauling junk cars, incidentally) in a slow speed, maneuvering in traffic kind of accident. The truck was entering the main roadway during a traffic jam, trying to cross several lanes of slow to stopped traffic to make a left turn behind me. He just flat out didn't allow enough room and hit me. Witnesses said the truck driver was on a cell phone during this maneuver. There was also alcohol on his breath.

I was OK; my bike was barely scratched; and his company was very understanding about the price of my forbearance.

One result, however, is a certain skepticism about how great all these "professionals" are. I treat all trucks as if they were driven by sociopath crack addicts. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only way to be even a little bit safe.

Tommy T.
Great Input Tom! I'm very glad you weren't seriously injured by that idiot!

That's really the point I've been trying to get across to folks! Yes the laws are stricter governing trucks, but there are a hell of allot of meatballs out there driving trucks. So while some of my advise on the matter has been extreemely conservative, I wouldn't feel I was helping anyone out by not allowing a little extra for some of the absolutely insane antics I daily see happen on the roads.

I won't park my rig in most truck stops simply because there is a 50% chance that when I return to it that it will have suffered damage induced by either some Rookie not being able to maneuver properly or some Cracker head that just doesn't give a nuts.

Seriously Folks! Don't hesitate to call in on a driver when they are doing something dangerous. You WILL be doing everyone of us (CDL holders included) a HUGE service by calling attention to these individuals. If no one reports it, you can guarantee it will continue until someone gets seriously hurt or even killed.

You never really know who the person is that is driving that truck. It maybe a conscientious veteran with years of experience behind the wheel and a well tempered reactionary mindset, or it could be someone fresh out of a two week driving school that just taught them enough to pass the driving test, or it could very well be an ex-con who could careless about anything or anybody. You just never know until it is too late!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts