Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone! I'm new to the board, but have always been a HUGE Monster Fan...Huge literally! Thats where my question comes in. I am 6'2" and about 300lbs :-[...I carry my weight tall and have been "judged" at 250-260lbs by looks? So I'm not a Fat Albert BUT I am no PeeWee Herman? I am working on loosing some belt holes over the course of the next 6 mo. to a year...at least 50lbs. Fingers crossed!! Just to give you an idea...Anyhow, here are my questions.

1. Monster 620 Dark- I have been told by the local shop that the 620 would be great for begining, but eventually get tired of the lack of needed power? Power to "Weight" ratio...

2. Monster 800- Too much? For a new rider I was thinking that it may be a little too much to straddle for now, until I get the techniques down?

3. Reliability- Although I do live in Portland, OR...Rain...Rain...I would ride as much as possible. Is the Monster a dependable mode for around town and then the mountains to the coast on a monthly basis? Of course I am looking to purchase pre-owned to get my feet wet, and I am doing all of my homework, but what should I look for? 1999-2002 years

Well, Thank you to everyone that replies!! Look forward to hearing from ya'

Mondo-ster

·
Registered
796 Posts
With your size I would not recommend a 620, not at all. I dont think the 800 would be too much for you, just make sure it is a comfortable fit. As for reliability, its a touchy issue. I have owned many bikes and I would not consider a Ducati to be the most reliable. That said, I LOVE my monster!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
If you're looking for used, consider a 750. It's a good bike for a beginner. And take the MSF course. You'll thank yourself.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
99+ M900
I am 280 and my 01 M900 ROCKS!!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Summertime I am 240.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
the 620 is probably a little small, be sure you like the riding position on all monsters at your height. As a new rider you can learn a lot in the dirt, no rain worries, take a AMA trailriders course and flog a cheap dirt bike (preferably a four stroke, Iv'e tought several people on my $1200 klr 250) then take the MSF. You will love the 800.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 6'4" @ 230 pounds and my 620 does me just fine. It's my first bike too. I can get hurt on it just as quick as I can an 800. :) A friend of mine has a M800. Don't get me wrong, there is a power difference but after riding both one right after the other, it's not significant enough for me to worry about. I'm not sure what another 70lbs would do to performance on the 620. I wish I could loose about 30-40 myself ;)

With that in mind, I agree with the others here. I don't think the 800 would be too much. If you think it might be, just don't twist the throttle as hard.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If it's just to get your feet wet and you're after a pre-owned, a 620 should be fine. If you feel 620 is too small and you want so save some cash, a pre-owned 750 may be a better choice over a 800.

Reliability is good as long as it's properly maintained. A Duc asks for more attention than a typical Japanese bike, so be prepared.

Taking the MSF course may help you with insurance costs as well.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The 2002 and up air cooled use a different rear suspension setup that is better than the 2001 and before bikes, much better. As far as bike size I sold a 620 to a guy that was 6'4" and at least 220lbs. and he loves it. He was a beginner though never riding a bike before a MSF class. He is now planning to move up to a 1000 or an S4R, after almost 1 year on the 620. He also plans on keeping it, too. So if this is any help........

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Go with the 800. You may want to ride a passenger. I am not sure what the max payload for a 620 is. I rode my niece today. She is no light weight. 15 years old and 5'9". Not a fat girl, but heavy. I myself run over 250 at 5'11". I am sure between the 2 of us we passed max payload. And it really slowed the bike down.

http://www.racedayphoto.com/vid/Face.WMV

I tried to scare the bike bug out of her today. It did not work. I am sure glad I rode today. Its already snowing here again. 4" tonight

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
2001 monster S4. GReat bike. A 620 is gonna take some time to get up and go with you. Trust me, I weigh alot. Had one. been there done that, then got a S4

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
What ever you get, have a profession suspension shop (not your local bike shop) redo the suspension for you. Personally, I would get the 1000.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone!!! I can't the believe the responses!! This is great...I am going to go to the dealer this weekend and look around, hopefully find something nice to shoot for...Unfortunately, the pre-owned bikes (Dark 750) are gone nearly after being put out on the floor!! So I will have to be on my toes in the coming months!! I called my insurance company today and they quoted me a premium I CAN'T BELIEVE!! Makes it even easier for my wife to give me the big thumbs up!!! Sure glad she's on my side! Well, I hope to be cruising the boards for tech info soon ;)

Thanks again...

Mondo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts