Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a big bore kit (Fox performance ~1100) and/or cams. Anybody done the big bore kit on there S4?

Anybody running any other cams besides SPS? What about the SP? Anybody running anything more extreme? ;D

Looking to do some engine mods at the 6000 mile service (late spring/early summer).

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
OK, you had me going there for a minute....I read the ~1100, thought you meant ~1100 cc. Thought 'Judas Priest, how could they make it so big?'

A 955cc vs the 916cc will, by itself, gain you no more than about 2.5 ft-lb of torque and 4 HP.

Infoage1 did the SPS cams (I think) on his Foggy.

Kinda OT, but for myself, I'd put the $1100 into an Ohlins shock and get the forks revalved. Not the question you asked, I know..

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I'm interested in everyones opinion. I asked a similar question about heads before and I believe Infoage stated that big bore kit is the cheaper and more bang for the buck. (sorry if I'm wrong)

I'm wondering if anyone has done the big bore kit on a S4 here?

I'm looking for the next step of the evolution of my bike (wheels are ordered).

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
No I didn't know that. That's what is so great about this list.
Ignorant people such as myself can become educated by the wise. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
i could be wrong but the foggy just gets the new ecu , full header exhaust with air filter . this may be an idea you may like foggy123 . call BCM and ask about high comp pistal piston for your S4 , will work nice with a set of SPS cams . i have a set of SPS cams and they make a noticeable improvement in h/p . i have 114.6 at the r/w so it's only money ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Also, do not the Foggy S4s come with SPS cams already? This would be a bonus if buying one used, IMHO.
i remember the original press release indicating foggy s4's would come with sps cams. but the fact is they didn't. full system, open airbox + matching ECU. the excuse i heard was that the EPA was giving ducati a real hard time about the hotter cams being included with the bike, but i personally believe that dealers pushed back because of the labor involved in swapping/degreeing the SPS cams on delivery. if somebody buys a $15k bike, are you going to charge them labor for installing the bits provided by the factory? not likely. is it a lot of work to swap/degree the cams? enough that i wouldn't wanna do it for free.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
i remember the original press release indicating foggy s4's would come with sps cams. but the fact is they didn't. full system, open airbox + matching ECU. the excuse i heard was that the EPA was giving ducati a real hard time about the hotter cams being included with the bike, but i personally believe that dealers pushed back because of the labor involved in swapping/degreeing the SPS cams on delivery. if somebody buys a $15k bike, are you going to charge them labor for installing the bits provided by the factory? not likely. is it a lot of work to swap/degree the cams? enough that i wouldn't wanna do it for free.
I've been tracking the S4 Fogarty pretty hard since day one (for obvious reasons), and I have not seen even one reference to suggest SPS cams were ever part of the Foggy package for any region, or even contemplated, for that matter.

http://www.bikenewsonline.com/news/2001/ducati_041301.html

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/motorcyclenewsdetail/id=157/newsarticle157.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like Strada exhaust and S4 intake.

"You can identify which cam is which. O is horizontal cylinder, V is vertical. A (aspirazione) is inlet, S (scarico) is exhaust."

From Doug Lofgren

SP cams were marked
"the intakes are stamped "U1", and the exhaust are stamped "A", do not confuse the exhausts with stock "A1" cams they are not stock....there is a difference, "A1" cams cam in any stock street bike 4V motor, these are "A""

From Ben Fox

Corsa 431 and G Exhaust are marked "431" and "G". I'm told a little too aggressive for a S4. :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts