Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Monster 750D (search for "monster750" in the member bikes gallery to see it if you like) it has about 20,000 miles on it and I am trying to save up the money to buy a big bore kit for it. I was wondering if any of you have done this upgrade. I would like to know a good place to buy one for a reasonable price online and what is involved with installing it, like how much of it is bolt on and how much I would need a machinist to finish the job. Anyone have any input? ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will email them and see if they have one for me.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
It's a really simple install, you don't even have to remove the motor in a Monster. Just make sure that you stuff a couple of shop rags in the hole with the conrods to keep little bits from falling in. Once you pull the heads off, the cylinders just lift off of the pistons (make sure that you have a separating type ring compressor tool). Have fun.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Heed Reckless's recommendation on the ring compressor. DAMHIK...

I don't know whether the big-bore pistons come with the 3-piece oil rings or the OEM style 1-piece cast iron oil rings.
I'm fairly certain that you can break the OEM cast ring by just looking at it hard.

Here's a pic and a link, this tool is the bomb, only $45:

Cool Ring Compressor

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Get quote for parts to do big bore. Then get quote for labor. And if you're doing it yourself, then figure 12 hours at what you normally get paid... Now, I've heard of 900SS engines selling for as low as $600.

The only time it makes sense to hop up 750 or smaller Ducati is if racing class doesn't allow you to install 904cc engine. (in which you then put in 944, 966, FCRs, ad nauseum)

:) Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts