Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read the news about the bicyclists that got hit by a Ford van on Hwy 9 (Saratoga Los Gatos Rd)? The location is near the intersection of Hwy 9 and Ridgecrest (actually on the straight part between Los Gatos and Saratoga) where the road goes from 1 lane to 2 lanes (b/t Quito Rd and Los Gatos).

Here's the link... http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/022004_nw_cyclist_accident.html

one of the cyclists is dead and the other is in critical. i'm sure they'll get the guy soon... he jumped out of the vehicle and took off on foot.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
a friend of mine told me that be back in the '80's, a woman was reaching back to grab a case of music cassettes, plowed into 10 bicyclists driving an SUV on that same stretch of road. I think she killed them all. the community was devested.

I think there should be stiffer restrictions about driving SUV's and trucks. like a new driving class with harder proficiencies. I'm sure you all have see many people driving one of these large weapons while on your bike and have it scare you.

thanks for the post Daffe,

rrockstar. :-[

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... the freeways and roads were not designed with large SUVs as the greatest % of vehicles in mind to begin with. If you check out the concrete barriers and guardrails, they were designed with cars in mind. That would be a good suggestion as far as extra SUV training goes.

Geezer mentioned to me that the guy who was driving the van eventually turned himself in.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
That sucks. I used to bike (bicycle) a lot and can relate to clueless drivers doing dumb things..

don't even get me started on SUV's (I tried very hard not to post the old SUV thread...)

I think instead of an outright speed limit there should be 'momentum limit' (mass x velocity).. so in other words, the bigger your vehicle, the lower your max speed limit..

Not to mention more rigorous licensing tests for truck/SUV drivers over a certain size..

good luck lobbying any of these in though...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... the folks in Washington won't let an anti-SUV bill pass... too much $$$ lost in investments!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think Daffe's right. It's about $$$$$$
I think a reasonable argument can be made for requiring a commercial license for the larger SUVs and the larger PUs as well. They certainly have the power and towing capacity to edge into the commercial weight limits. However, requiring a commercial license to haul the kids to/from school and pick up a couple of grocery bags would put loads of 5 foot tall moms out of USA made $60,000 SUVs (tax deductible to $50,000 if you can claim it for business) and into european/japaneese made $30,000 station wagons!!!!! Not to mention Hummers that are slower than VWs! God forbid!
I guess size does matter!
My brother-in-law, driving a lincoln town car, crosses the double yellow after falling asleep at the wheel and goes headon into a pickup. Everyone survived the crash and intensive care. What does he do? Buys my sister a huge SUV for the family's protection! She's never driven anything so huge! She refuses to drive it and continues in her camry. Yea! So the guy that sleeps while driving is now out in a 4ton SUV. Stupid!
Cesar.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... those Hummers are made by GMC... not Hum-Vee... the Hummers are pretty crappy compared to the other SUVs.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Geezer,

What about a new class of licence in between commercial and regular?

rrockstar

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
hmmm.. like a "Class C - Oversize" or something? It would require special traininig on how to drive a vehicle of that size/mass or something more restrictive... but still ... good luck passing that nationally!

Or we could just wait until gas hits $5/gallon. It'll fix the problem right up..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey, those companies are only feeding the demand and glad to do it!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... one of my patients told me that there's a Los Gatos h.s. student who was given a Ferrarri (brand new '04) for his birthday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts