Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have spent a couple of days reading all the old posts about headlights, but wwith varying results. I have noticed while riding at night that unless there are no other cars around you can't even see my headlight on the road. I want something better, but like the look of the stock headlight, so just want a different bulb. I have read about the high wattage bulbs causing load problems and melting wires. What are people using as a bulb that is noticably better and with no problems? I don't want the blue look, but a more white light is a good thing. It may be that my headlight needs to be adjusted, but I don't think so, as on the desert roads at night the light is fine, in the city it is not.

So PIAA or Hella? +30? +50? 80 or 100 watt?

It looks like this is a pretty common question (FAQ.....hint, hint).

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I just recently put in a Sylvania Silverstar. It was cheap enough at pepboys so I figured Id give it a try. Definitely a brighter whiter light. It was actually bright enough that it made me want to readjust my headlight cus now I could see it wasnt lighting up the road as it should have been stock.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
+1 on the Silverstar. Brighter and whiter.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
+1 more. They definetly cast a mroe white light that's nicer to ride behind.

AS for going over the spec wattage on the bulbs.. careful on that one.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
HyperM3 said:
I just recently put in a Sylvania Silverstar. It was cheap enough at pepboys so I figured Id give it a try. Definitely a brighter whiter light. It was actually bright enough that it made me want to readjust my headlight cus now I could see it wasnt lighting up the road as it should have been stock.
you guys got a part#?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Changing the bulbs helps, but I'm thinking adding driving or fog lights might be the best way to really improve the lighting.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
The stock light is inadequate on a monster, and unbelievably, it's even worse on the ST# line.

I'm looking at a hardware upgrade from www.ducatidesigns.com
I'll augment this hardware setup with a pair of H9 Piaa superwhites... should be like two sunbeams shooting out of the bike!

I think changing the bulb is a short term cost effective band-aid, but the best bet to really FIX the problem is the go towards different hardware altogether.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
ducati culture said:
I got three letters for ya............. H I D [thumbsup]
you know of a kit?

·
Registered
449 Posts
ducati culture said:
I got three letters for ya............. H I D [thumbsup]
True HIDs (that use ballasts) are very effective when they utilize a projector lamp designed for it, but used in lamps without it the light is bright without being focused - they can act to blind oncoming traffic without lighting up the road or objects beside the road any better (I've tried and seen both on cars, projectors make all the difference). That said I'm not sure how you could keep the monster look and retrofit an HID projector lamp in its stead, so I'm thinking the little add on lights are a good solution.

Just found this with a quick search, looks interesting:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/DrivingLights.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

·
Registered
449 Posts
C Fresh said:
The danielsternlighting site is interesting, but does he sell anything or just criticize bulbs. He talks about H4 +30 and +50, where do you find these bulbs, and who makes them?
Yep, he sells stuff, see this page:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Just so you know, I have never bought anything from him and can't give you any first hand experience - however, I have seen supporters of his post on car forums.

·
Registered
177 Posts
try an 80/100 bulb and add a relay. That shouldprevent any overloading of the headlight switch. Try doing a search using the terms H4 and relay. There have been some good posts on this a few months back.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
GIR said:
True HIDs (that use ballasts) are very effective when they utilize a projector lamp designed for it, but used in lamps without it the light is bright without being focused - they can act to blind oncoming traffic without lighting up the road or objects beside the road any better (I've tried and seen both on cars, projectors make all the difference). That said I'm not sure how you could keep the monster look and retrofit an HID projector lamp in its stead, so I'm thinking the little add on lights are a good solution.
agreed. i mentioned this before in some other lighting thread and ppl started crying bloody murder. sure it'd be nice to flood my entire field of view with light but not so nicey to oncoming traffic. i would love to find projector housings that still resemble the stock headlamp. i don't particularly care for the dual set-up. i did see these. but i'm afraid you get what you pay for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-IN...9QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33710QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

12bux but 21bux for shipping?! [laugh] ::) then again, it's so cheap, it might be worth a shot. worse comes to worst, i'll find a way to mount some driving lights like all stealth like.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
If you're in a cold weather zone, you could just change the wiring & fuse too. Good winter project since you'd have plenty of time to shake out the gremlins. 14 gauge wire would be sufficient.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Take a look at this thread about replacement headlight reflectors... Harley and Moto Guzzi... Both appear to have better projector designs.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=59384.msg728457#msg728457

Did find out that the HD reflector required fabrication to fit the stock Duc housing. Of course, if you bought the HD housing, you'd just have to figure out how to mount to the triple.

For the time being, I have a SilverStar in my stocker... and it does work better than the stock bulb. Have a set of driving lights on a shelf awaiting a clever bracket design. And someday I'd like to replace the entire assembly and install HID. Maybe I can write a letter to Santa.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts