Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so some of you may have read my better lighting thread, but I have been looking for something better than stock. I found the osram/silvania silverstar at my local pepboys for $20 and said what the heck I will try it. Although photos do not do it justice, I have included some anyways. The first one is what I have been riding with for the last week thinking to myself "This light sucks all of a sudden, I can't see a thing"

(could not get photos to upload on the DML so these will work though)

Last couple weeks of night riding with this......
Yes that is it folks. Come to find out the plug from the bulb had come undone, and I have been riding with only a parking light. I don't suggest doing this.

Stock light.

You can see the yellow tint to it and it is not very focused.

Silverstar.

Ok you can see that the light is whiter and slightly brighter. The camera does not pick it up correctly though. In real life it is noticably brighter. Dietrich and I parked his bike next to mine, his with the stiock, mine with the silverstar and there was a noticable difference looking from the front also.

In short it is worth the $20 and 1.5 minutes it takes to change the bulb. Are you going to feel like you have a HID system, no, not at all, but the light is white not blue and doesn't diffuse as much so keeps the light where you want it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks so much for posting those pics as I too have the Silverstar and like them a lot. Definitely worth the $20. [thumbsup] Maybe if you have a camera that you can manually control, you will get a better shot of actual light shown because the auto cameras will compensate for the available light. Have you tried the blue light? I might try those next just to have a different look.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No these are the only ones I tried. I would spend the time on better pics if it was a high dollar purchase, but for $20 even the amount of light the photos show is enough for me. I just wanted to take a couple quick photos while I did it and before it rained on me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put an HID kit on my BMW R1150R (same basic round headlight as a Monster) & I think its the best mod I've done & worth the $$. I can ride to 80mph on a dark deserted freeway & not be over running my light. Lots of light to the sides too, & never have had people flashing brights at me, so must not bother others. Can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I want a high intensity black light so I can also use my bike at a rave of mine ::)
until then I'll get one of these....been waiting now I'm convinced.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
C Fresh said:
Come to find out the plug from the bulb had come undone, and I have been riding with only a parking light. I don't suggest doing this.
Dude, you were running how long with just the parking light? ???

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lifes_an_ocean said:
Dude, you were running how long with just the parking light? ???
3 short night rides in the city(drive home from work), cars headlights and street lights the whole way, so you can barely see your stock light either if there are cars next to you(3 lane road), I just noticed it when I was pulling up to cars at stop lights and I could see the bike's light reflecting, but could not see any illumination on the car.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I was wondering if taking out the metal bulb shroud would give extra light. The lense is already fluted so I don't see a purpose for it. Anyone try this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts