Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
Start wide.
Scan the road, look through the turn; look where you want to be.
Drag the rear break untill you're comfortable.
Relax your hands, bend your elbows, squeeze the knees.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Exactly...I have a DVD-some motorcycle cop put it together. He cuts a mean 360 on a Goldwing that makes me embarassed....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,

One thing to add to the other good suggestions is ride the clutch a little. You will get the feel of the clutch, it takes a few times. It smoothes out the engine and stops the motor lugging for really slow turns. I have a 620sie with a wet clutch, not sure about dry clutch.

Missy

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The best way is to take weight off the rear tire by standing on the pegs, & then goose the throttle while holding some front brake & slightly turning the wheel. The rear end will begin to slide around, leaving a big black mark on the road. As the bike begins to point in the direction you want, release the front brake, but stay on the gas & sit back down on the seat. The rear tire will slowly hook up & you'll go down the road in a cloud of smoke - really cool!!
Or, you could do what I do & tip toe around in a 3 point turn, trying not to tip the bike over.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The best way I know of to practice is to go to a large empty parking lot and ride towards a parking spot, on the line, then turn and come out three places over. Work at it both directions. When that becomes easy, do two and a half, then down to two if you can.

Please excuse the ASCII art, but this is the general concept:

+------
<--
|
+------
|
+------
|
+------
-->

Go in on the line, turn before you get to the end of the parking spot, and come out on the other line. For a good U-turn, you need to be able to come back out two lines over instead of three.

Practice stringing together a bunch of left and right turns using the row on the other side and you should have it down.

Then you just need to remember to do it the same way when you need to do a U-turn somewhere.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Too add to all of the suggestions, I've found that flicking the front wheel to the outside of the turn just before entering the U also helps.

Rocky

T

·
0 Posts
I prefer the down motocross method. ;)

Get off the bike and just walk it around ;D

B

·
0 Posts
One thing I've seen mentioned in this thread a couple of times, but not explained, is what's called counter steering.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
One thing to add on counter-steering...it only works above like 10-15mph.
below that speed you turn the wheel the way you want to go.
(this sounds weirder than it is)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I was taught early on that with Monsters, it's just best to wait until another one comes along in the opposite direction and swap bikes :-X

I like Norms first method, though.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Norm said:
The best way is to take weight off the rear tire by standing on the pegs, & then goose the throttle while holding some front brake & slightly turning the wheel. The rear end will begin to slide around, leaving a big black mark on the road. As the bike begins to point in the direction you want, release the front brake, but stay on the gas & sit back down on the seat. The rear tire will slowly hook up & you'll go down the road in a cloud of smoke - really cool!!
Or, you could do what I do & tip toe around in a 3 point turn, trying not to tip the bike over.
you sunofa... you made me spill my cofee :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Slow down, sit up straight, look into turn, and lean outside of the turn. I do that for close quarter U's, but in long sweeping ones, I just watch out for traffic and lean all in.

J

·
0 Posts
If you're riding a Ducati - just don't U-turn
Our steering stops SUCK!!! :mad:

A

·
0 Posts
I didn't expect to see all these explainations, i.e.: paragraphs which even include diagrams. ???

My suggestion is simple..TURN THE HANDLEBARS TO THE LEFT OR THE RIGHT!!

·
Banned
897 Posts
AZMastiff said:
I didn't expect to see all these explainations, i.e.: paragraphs which even include diagrams. ???

My suggestion is simple..TURN THE HANDLEBARS TO THE LEFT OR THE RIGHT!!
But yur drivin' a Z28... or was that the other guy ???

1 - 20 of 42 Posts