Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Had a good search around but couldn't find anything.

I've managed to install my new grip heaters (heat demons) under the grips and have tucked the cables away. Now looking into where the best place to get power from is. What is the best place to get a keyed power source that can handle a bit of current?

Dan

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, it's going to be 103°F here in Texas today. Heated grips are the farthest thing from my mind right now as far as riding is concerned. I guess the southern hemisphere is a different story. Ideally, if you want to do it right, you should probably install a dedicated fused relay. With the high current side tapped right to the positive side of the battery. Then you can tap into just about anywhere to run the switch to the relay with minimal disturbing of the factory harness. Hopefully the grips are set up to accommodate an outside relay. If not, setting the relay to kick on and run power to the switch for the heated grips whenever the bike is on shouldn't hurt anything. Then perhaps disconnect from the battery or just pull the relay in the summer months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally, if you want to do it right, you should probably install a dedicated fused relay. With the high current side tapped right to the positive side of the battery. Then you can tap into just about anywhere to run the switch to the relay with minimal disturbing of the factory harness.
Yeah, was hoping to get away with a bit less effort, but I've gone ahead and bought a relay box and planning to switch it using the tail light 12v wire. I think I'll put the relay up where I'm going to put the switch near the instrument cluster. I should print a little plate to mount the switch through with my printer, but I think I'll end up just zip-tying it for now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts