Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if any of you can recommend good summer riding gear (mainly jackets). Right know I have a JR Phoenix mesh jacket. I have read both good and bad things about it. Some of the bad reviews got me thinking.

I know leather is the best way to go. So, what is the "coolest" leather jacket I can get.

S

·
0 Posts
I have been riding a couple of seasons with a Vanson perforated leather jacket and I love it. Buying Vanson will put a dent in your wallet, but the quality, protective qualities and ventilation it provides has never made me question the purchase. I am looking to purchase a pair of their perforated sport pants this year (money permitting).

S

·
0 Posts
I have the same Phoenix jacket and like it. It's already hot up here in NorCal, and I wore it a couple of times this weekend, and as far as venting goes, it really keeps me cool. But I'm also wondering about leather and perforated jackets. Are they really cool in hot weather? Would I be better off in leather than in something that's not?

S

·
0 Posts
One can get bogged down debating the protective qualities of leather versus synthetic, but the fact that most race suits are still made of leather says enough for me.

As to whether pef leather is really that cool, putting a long-sleeved anything on when it is in the 90s and humid (not to mention sitting on a hot engine at a stop light) means you are going to sacrifice a some comfort for safety. Tight fitting leather is not a t-shirt. But even in the hot summers I am comfortable while riding at speed. Much to my surprise, I actually found myself getting cold in the spring and fall with the perf leather, a problem I solved by buying the detachable Streamliner insert vest.

R

·
0 Posts
Vanson Mark Two Cobra perf with inner zips to close perfs...zippered vents on sleeve and back...pavement tested and approved.....great stuff.
They also come in colors like the Hurricanes.

S

·
0 Posts
That's the ticket. Also nice as the Vanson coats accept either "soft" street armor or "hard" race armor.

H

·
0 Posts
You'd be surprised at how cool a perforated set of leathers is in 85 degree heat...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I totally agree that perffed leather and armor is the safest way to go. However, I had that Vanson Cobra and sold it. Now have a Firstgear Mesh-tex. Maybe it's a humidity issue but I was miserable in hot, muggy weather. I've seen posts from the west, AZ in particular, about getting chilly with perf leather.

R

·
0 Posts
....I've had the jacket in humid 90 degree weather in MN., and the perfs closed up in chilly weather, no problems. Hot and humid will always be hot and humid no matter what you wear. It's the same grade leather as their AMA race stuff, and the **** works. I want comfort, but not at the cost of safety, I like my skin, I'm attached to it.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Yes, a good jacket will always be cheaper than skin grafting.

(and you'll look better too)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nice, almost but not quite brisk morning ride to work the other day. I decided to just wear the jacket of my two piece. It

S

·
0 Posts
i ride the Dainese Talos IV jacket. It has D stone fabric in certain areas, while still being a leather jacket. Lotss of protection, and the D stone is located in specific area for ventlation. It works great. Its over 100 here in the summers. During the winter, its a little cold even with the liner.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I bought a BMW riding jacket called an Air flow II, it has shoulder and elbow armor and tremedous air flow through the body of the jacket. You can't even see the air holes unless you hold it up to the light. It's made out of Tex material not leather. I live in Harrisburg PA and the summers are very humid here , this jacket is great when it's hot. It was a bit pricey but thats cheaper than leaving your skin on the pavement.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Unless you live somewhere where it's always hot or always cold, I think you have to resign yourself to having at least two riding jackets, and if you ride in the rain, possibly three. Now, I've seen some German riding gear that claims to do it all, but I'm skeptical, and it seems overly fussy with various zip-out liners, waterproofing and so on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts