Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm new to this forum and biking in general. Picked up a 696 this past August and have about 4k miles on the road between this an others. Love the 696, but I'm thinking of getting a big brother. Here's wear all of your expertise will be appreciated. Which one? I'm looking for a more performance and prefer the lightness of air cooled, which rules out a streetfighter. I also do not like the extra inch or so seatheight of the streetfighter. My initial thought is a 1000S4R or RS. I have a good lead on a R, should I hold out for a RS? Help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
The 07S4R and S4RS are both liquid cooled 4-V testastretta motors
the difference between them is the suspension Showa vs Ohlins on the RS

Maybe a S2R 1000 if you are looking for air cooled and something different looking from your 696.

'Best' is subjective....but I would make a case for the 00 M900Sie (and thats not what i have ;) )
My wife rides a Hyper 1100. that bike rips...lots of fun. might be something else to consider

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff,
Thank you for the input. If I could bother you a bit more. I was looking at a '06 s4r which does not appear to be the testastretta engine and rated at 117bhp. Is this a real downside? Is there a downside to the liquid cooled bikes, maybe I'm misinformed? How does the Hyper compare in ride to a Monster? Sorry for asking you for Duc lessons. I really do like the frame of the older Monsters, with the extension of the trellis instead of the new cast aluminum subframe, which is what is drawing me in this direction. I would like some additional power from the 696, but don't need Streetfighter strength. Any input appreciated. thank you.
dave

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
The S4R has the 996 engine in it, just like the ST4S....yes, liquid cooled. Liquid cooled varieties are usually equipped with more power and are 4 valves per cylinder.
Air cooled choices limited to the S2R1000 and new Monster 1100. They hyper is, arguably, a bit more comfortable/less reach to the bars but the seat height is higher. I've ridden them all...performance arguably similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the clarification. I do prefer the Monster bar position. Still looking for that perfect bike.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I owned a M750 and now a S2R800. Riding a friends 696 is what made me upgrade to the S2R which I think is a very similar feeling bike to yours, but in my opinion, the double stack exhaust and single sided swingarm with the classic red frame, are better looking. I'd have to make the case for just keeping your 696 and riding it a lot. Get good tires and comfortable gear. Maybe an exhaust (you know, for safety). The water cooled bikes are a whole nother thing. Super fast yes, but more complex, maybe too much power and in my mind, sorta go against the whole monster concept, visually and mechanically. If I was in the position to have two bikes, the 2nd would be WAY different, either balls out, like a 748 or comfy like a ST4/multi. The bike you have now is pretty much perfect if you ask me. it does something very few bikes can - it lets you flog it at 100% nearly all the time you're riding. this reminds me of when i felt the need to "upgrade" from a first gen miata to a mr2 turbo. the later was of course way WAY faster, but not at all more fun. All i could do with it was up the boost, and up my speeding ticket expenses. the miata felt great at low speeds and I could flog it all day. just my take.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rmm,
great advise. often, we do get caught up with excessive power which many of us cannot utilize. my problem with the 696 is as you describe. I just prefer the appearance of the older frame/subframe. i would really like to spend some time/money dressing it up a bit and prefer to do so to the "ultimate monster", just not sure what this one is. I guess I'm torn b/w the S4RS or maybe a S2R. I also agree with you about getting something completely different. Would like to get one cruiser and one sport bike, just need to go one step at a time! Input appreciated, please keep them coming.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
My first Monster was an S2R800. I loved that bike, but found myself wanting a bit more.

My current ride is an S2R1000. I stayed with the Monster because it's the most beutiful bike ever made ;) In my opinion you can't beat the clean look of the 2V motor in a naked machine. I just don't like the radiataor hanging off the front of the 4V bikes. You don't notice the radiator under a fairing, but on the naked bike it stands out like a sore thumb. IMO

But now that I'm accustomed to the power and torque increases, I again find myself wanting more on some occasions. My dealer loaned me a Streetfighter S while my bike was being serviced. WOW!! I can't say enough about this bike. If I had the disposable income I would already have one in the garage.

In the past he's loaned me his personal Hypermotard S as well. Liked that bike (sweet suspension), once I got used to the riding position. I had to revert back to my dirt bike days, but once that was done the suspension on the S just felt so smooth.

I loved my Trail 90 as a kid as well. But you get my point I think. The best bike is up to you. And that might change from day to day. My advice would be to find one that you feel like you can't live without and make that your daily ride.

Ride well and be safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Problem is, there is NO perfect bike. Riding a bike at ITS limits on new roads is FAR more fun IMO than finding yourself over your head on bike than can get you there faster than you can imagine.
If you want to go fast, get a bike for the track. If you want to have fun on the street keep what you have. Week long stays in the hospital asking; "What happened?" over and over again, not fun.
I'm not saying that's going to happen to you. I'm just saying...

think Track Days...

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I agree there is no "perfect bike". I look at it as finding a "perfect" match the for the kind of riding you like to do. For me, its canyon-carving and IMO the 696 is an excellent choice. It is extraordinarily light, has a tight suspension, loves to lean, and the rider is in control of the bike, not the other way around. All in a package no other sport/naked can compare to as far as style goes.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Ahh the "perfect bike". My dad once told me never to look for the perfect bike and if you find a really good one keep it. I've got an 04 Fz1, inline 4, which I use for my touring bike. Light weight, upright seating position, more power than I can use, great breaks, light (well 450's) which was light before I got my 696.

I have to admit, after riding my cousins KTM Duke I'd take a look at the Hyper's. Especially the 796 that Ducati is making in 2010. They have surprisingly good seating positions, torque like the 696, good breaks, quick through the corners, but the seats wellllll...they suck!

IMO you should have multiple bikes, a one up back road screamer (my 696), a light weight two up back roader and one up tourer (my Fz1, although I want the '10 VFR real bad) and a two up tourer (I don't have that yet). That way whatever the occasion you have the perfect bike for it.

Good luck in your bike search and keep us informed and pics please :)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
A stable of bikes like you describe would be a wonderful thing indeed. This requires room - I have a small two car grarage and I may be able to fit my two cars and maybe two bikes and an absolutely necessary snowblower and even a small motorcycle trailer, but that would be stretch. I have often compared bikes to women, every time you see a beautiful one you want to take it home! Currently I have just the one bike and one wife. My bike lends itself to having the ability to change thru mods...my wife?...I'll leave that one alone. And, oh did I mention money? Bike= an outlay of cash, motorcycle insurance, depreciation, and maintenance products. Wife = an outlay of cash, health insurance, depreciation, and maintenance products...am I getting off topic?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
...btw on a more serious note I really like the hypers too. The best feature outside of performance is the beautifully exposed ducati air cooled engine,like a work of art with a beautiful trellis frame! But the narrow seat brings back memories of my dirt track bike days and the resulting numb butt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
S2r?

.. But the narrow seat brings back memories of my dirt track bike days and the resulting numb butt.
Well with the size of the tank, I don't think you can go far enough for your but to go numb! ;D

Ah a bike for every occasion... wouldn't that be a kick... maybe better than a woman for every occasion...

Have you tried the S2R? If I hadn't been looking for an M900 to Hot Rod I would have bought one of those and two sets of Woodcraft clip-ons. One standard set to put under the top clamp, and a pair of inch and a half risers to put above the top clamp for the times I want to go for a ride back East.

When I was in Grad school I had an NT650 Hawk, it was my daily ride, my track day bike, my touring bike I rode Cross country and back on. I didn't have much room at my apt but I had a couple different seats a couple sets of clip-ons and a set of dymags for track days or showing off.

My point is that there are lots of things you can do to ONE bike to make it be what ever you need it to be.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Have not tried the S2R. Unfortunately, the closest Ducati dealer to me is 400+ miles away and there in not an opportunity to try any other Ducati, at least not locally. So like my wife, I'll have to make the best of the one I got! PS. I guess I should apologize to any female readers but when it comes to analogies between bikes and women I just can't help it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
S4rs so far 14000 trouble free miles and have taken 1400 mile trips with it. Good for guys with 29" inseams. I do have the Ohlins. A good rider on a S3RS can stay with anybody in the twsities. I am over 70 yo and love the light weight also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 07S4R and S4RS are both liquid cooled 4-V testastretta motors
the difference between them is the suspension Showa vs Ohlins on the RS

Maybe a S2R 1000 if you are looking for air cooled and something different looking from your 696.

'Best' is subjective....but I would make a case for the 00 M900Sie (and thats not what i have ;) )
My wife rides a Hyper 1100. that bike rips...lots of fun. might be something else to consider

jeff h
monsterparts.com
I second the 00 M900 i.e!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
scotty68

S4rs so far 14000 trouble free miles and have taken 1400 mile trips with it. Good for guys with 29" inseams. I do have the Ohlins. A good rider on a S3RS can stay with anybody in the twsities. I am over 70 yo and love the light weight also.
Did you buy it new? How many miles per year do you put on? Have you needed any valve adjustments? I think the 696 is comfortable too. Have not yet done more than an 800 mile trip but I find the stock seat to be reasonably comfortable. My only complaint is that my wrists/palms get numb after a while - maybe that is because of the more aggressive riding position...the lean is not as much as a full blown sportbike but a slight forward lean to the handlebars nevertheless. I am probably older than most posters to this forum...not 70 yet but hope to be riding a Ducati when I am! Probably the main reason I like the light weight is that I can move it around my garage so much easier than heavier bikes I have owned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I found the wrist/hand thing too on my 696 - as well as "the boys" getting uncomfy on long rides! Times I prayed for a stop light for adjustment - especially after hitting a bump! I changed bars to Rizoma - they are just a touch higher and have adjusted the riding position - still aggressive position but that tiny change has made the 696 that much more comfy on longer rides.

I too love my 696 and have the odd time thought about - bigger bike (CC) - but at the end of the day - I need my licence and unless I'm planning on doing track days - more power will only cost me more insurance and more speeding tickets - I have to work hard to keep the 696 resonably over the speed limit now.

On onther note - what RPM - do you usually "cruise along at" - seems to me 4000- 5000 is a good range - not too much noise (I can hear my IPOD) - but the bike seems to like 6000 + a little more.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Antrim...If I am cruising a long stretch at 4000 - 5000rpm in 6th gear, I am going about 65-75mph. However I recently swaped out the stock 15 tooth font sprocket for a 14 tooth, so I am sure I will be cranking more rpm for same speed. As for the Rizoma handlebars, I am taking a serious look at them. This winter all my mods were below the seat including H-Competition Rhodan Box exhaust system, Competition Werkes fender eliminator, Integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber everything, and the new sprocket with chain/case guard. Soon I hope to figure out how to post pics on the forum and will post a couple.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts