Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, just wondering what you would all suggest in this price range for a helmet. Ive been using the Shoei brand, but its an old helmet, my dads from ages ago, and was thinking its time to upgrade. Any ideas? I was thinking the HJC carbon one, but im not an expert when it comes to helmet details.. any tips?

thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Go to your local and try them all on. Even the ones slightly out of your budget.

Then, try newenough.com to get them for less.

If your local has the same one at close to the same price, pick them up from the local. Otherwise, order from newenough.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How old is the one you've been using? I've noticed the new Shoeis don't fit quite the same as the ones from the early 90s. Still, a lot of people like the Shoei RF-1000. Scorpions get good reviews from nearly everyone I've talked to as well.

Still, I feel that comfort is most important since pretty much all helmets rated DOT and SNELL (I always get both) are equally safe regardless of price. I even got a cheap HJC DOT and SNELL rated for $80 and it still fit pretty well and felt better than my dad's old RF-700 from '91. Do like slowpoke says: go to a local store and just start trying everything on. Try on the mid-grade helmet of all the more expensive brands (Shoei and Arai) and then try on the top level helmets of the lower priced brands like Icon and HJC and see which you like. Prices on line tend to be a little lower than prices in the store.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I prefer Italian lids (Suomy/AGV/X-Lite - got 'em all) and Arais but don't let price/brand dictate what you get. Generally, you do get what you pay for - but focus on overall quality, fit/finish and value. Look for DOT/Snell rating. But really add all that together plus "looks" (its gotta look good too you) and go for it.

Step 1 - Go to local shop and try on ALL brands (decide what you like)
Step 2 - EBAY

The Suomy Vandals look pretty hot right now...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What's the best helmet?! Why the Arai Quantum 2 Hacking model in Silver/Red, size Medium, of course! Wait a minute, I just happen to have a brand new, never been worn one of those for sale for $300! Full list is $580. What a coincidence!

Seriously, I love Arai's, but it always comes down to fit on your head (i.e., more round or more oval). Arai's fit more oval heads better. Shoei used to be more round, but I understand they changed their fit a few years ago to go more oval. I'm an oval and the Shoei's still don't fit me well. In my opinion, Suomy's fit more like Arai's, but for a tighter fit to the chin guard and smaller opening overall.

Any of those are good helmets. I'm not a big fan of the cheaper helmets like HJC. Not because I think they're any less safe, but I think the liners and ventilation on the top line helmets are much nicer and more comfortable. However, again, fit is the key more than anything.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
erkishhorde said:
Still, I feel that comfort is most important since pretty much all helmets rated DOT and SNELL (I always get both) are equally safe regardless of price.
not necessarily true. DOT and SNELL are MINIMUM requirements. that's like saying that a tercel and an H1 are equally crash-worthy just because they both meet federal impact standards. i dunno about you, but if a tercel and an H1 are going head-on, i'd much rather be in the H1... [thumbsup]

on topic, the scorpions seem to get great reviews, fit (my head) well, and have features rivaling many of the more expensive helmets. check out www.helmetharbor.com for some pretty nice impartial reviews and decent prices.

G

·
I have an HJC sy-max...it's full face, but opens up full face too as well as the visor. It's great, comfortable, and fairly quiet.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I have a shoei x-11 and just picked up a scorpion exo-700. both fit great. the scorpion liner feels better, but it's heavier (duh). I often with I'd just bought an RF-1000, but the awesome vents in the x-11 make it worth it for the $450 I paid for it at helmet harbor. ....

Try on everything you can and work from there to get color and price you want (online will help with this).

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I've had great success with buying over the internet and/or from shops that sell via ebay. I bought a Shark RSR2 for 350.00. I bought my Spec1R from MRI for 250.00 shipped. I'm eyeing an AGV GP PRO (XR2 here in the States) for 300.00 shipped. I love my local shops and get what I can there, but they don't carry these 3 brands and generally can't compete with the helmet prices like they can other items.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just have to stress what has been said. Go to a shop with a good selection of different lines...2 or 3 different shops if you have to, and try on helmets. The best helmet in the world may not work for you if it doesn't fit correctly and isn't comfortable to ride in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Definitely try them on and find the ones that fit your head the best. Search the internet and Ebay for good deals. I know Ebay has some great Suomy Ducati branded helmets for good prices. Also some of the DML sponsors and other internet sellers have great deals on some closeout helmets. I got a GREAT price on an AGV and a Suomy. I got the AGV XR2 for less than your price range and a Suomy Spec1R Ducati in your price range. Both retail WELL above your range.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Definitely check out Shark helmets if you can. Great helmets at great prices. They've got some really unique designs, (graphics and ventilation). The downside is that you may have a more difficult time finding a shop near you that carries them, so that you can try them on first. In my experience the Sharks fit very similarly to the Suomy's, but like others have said, head shape does/can change things.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just picked up the new Suomy Vandal "Cult" from the dealership and it is pretty sweet. Lots of heads have been turning when I ride by....not sure if that is the bike or the helmet or a combo?!?! The inside of this thing is SUPER soft material. Not too bad either for $360. I will post pics when I can

1 - 20 of 22 Posts