Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've ridden to work almost every day this week... getting ready for my 3+ hour winter commute for school....

Well I figured that taking the same road twice a day would be a good way to let me shake out changes in suspension for the good or bad.

So the other day I decided to jack up my rear a bit. When I bought my bike the adjuster was completely collapsed with no threads showing on either end (it's an '03).

So I raised it about a 1/2 inch (quarter inch either side of the adjusting rod).

The next day I took it slow into work feeling for how it would turn in different, I noticed though some turns I was able to take much faster without feeling any instability.

So on the way home I let her rip a bit. It was like she was on rails. I normally have to ride damn near on top of the gas tank to get any stability in the corners. Now it feels like the front is just glued to the pavement. I just kept giving it more and more throttle to see when I would feel that instability I felt before... It just never came. I finish this little are (for the locals I was coming down 24 from the Caldecott Tunnel).. I get down to the flat area and I was doing around 110-115 indicated.. I was like "HOLY SHIZZA!"...

So the only bad thing I've found about this so far is that I can carry way more speed through turns and I have to watch myself a lot now to make sure I don't get excessive with the throttle....

But all around great mod so far, and I hope I have a similar result from the twisties this weekend.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Proper weight bias can be and is a wonderful realization on a Monster, However with your new found handling and confidence don't forget to access your surroundings and how well your tires have warmed up.

A properly set up bike feels great! It allows you to get even closer to the bikes limits comfortably, and confidently. Enough so, that you have much less warning or margin for error when getting close to yours and your bike's limits, and are more likely to exceed them simply because everything is working so well.

Congrats on the revelation...............Just use your head in its application. [thumbsup]

Ride safe Bro, and enjoy it, just be sure to leave a little for "Murphy". [cheeky] SC. ;)

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
yup. i've always found that i can raise the rear on any of my ducs by about 10mm to drastically improve the handling characteristics for me. ducs are inherently so stable that i haven't found any negative consequences...certainly within my limits.

MAYBE if i were a better rider and riding out on the very edge of the bike's capabilities, i'd notice slightly less stability in turns, but that's pretty much irrelevant to me. i want the bike to handle well for my skills and type of riding.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this weekend a got a few twisties in and the bike felt very good. It was moist and raining a bit so i didn't get to push it very hard but it felt much better the before and I look forward to a dry weekend this week for some better testing :)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If you have a 695 (which I think you do), I don't think they come stock with the height adjuster (which is what you need to do this). I wouldn't suggest you drop the front (changes ground clearance for the worse), so buy the height adjuster and you're good to go.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Kind of a dumb question but I have the front of my bike lowered to accomidate clip-ons but the rear is still stock. I have noticed since installing the clip-ons that I feel like my rear is sliding out from under me. Could I have to much forward lean?? I have an adjustable rear link, just not installed.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nomonster said:
Kind of a dumb question but I have the front of my bike lowered to accomidate clip-ons but the rear is still stock. I have noticed since installing the clip-ons that I feel like my rear is sliding out from under me. Could I have to much forward lean?? I have an adjustable rear link, just not installed.
As it has been stated above, raising and lowering the front isn't the best thing to do. I know people have suggested moving the clip on's under the top clamp, or you can buy the risers which eliminate the need for the extra fork sticking out the top...

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
nomonster said:
Not a dumb question at all. If you've dropped the bike down on the forks you've essentially done the same thing as raising the rear. This makes the forks more perpendicular, quickens the steering, and makes the bike less stable and more prone to headshake. For a relatively big thing like a motorcycle, very small changes (like 10mm) can have a huge effect on handling.

Unless you really like the bike's handling the way it is, I'd do as TCK suggests and get bar risers or put the clipons under the triple.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
nomonster said:
I experienced a period of similar behavior - found it was 'cause I was very slightly turning the bars to the outside of the turn (away from the countersteer) shortly after the bike started turning.

Check during your next ride, perhaps you're doing something like this due to the different sensation/position of the clip ons...

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
There is a tipping point. I raised the rear of my bike one inch and really like it. Then I lowered the front end two rings on the olins forks, about 5/16". I could tell I had taken the bike just over the edge where it handles quicker then before. Just 5/16" - I was a little surprised. The rear slides a little easier than before, but so far, I like it.

LA

·
Registered
161 Posts
EvilSteve said:
If you have a 695 (which I think you do), I don't think they come stock with the height adjuster (which is what you need to do this). I wouldn't suggest you drop the front (changes ground clearance for the worse), so buy the height adjuster and you're good to go.
I have an '06 620 and it sounds like mine could use some adjustment. Any suggestions on where to look for height adjuster?

Also, my googling for a height adjuster returned a parts list for the infamous Motor Cyclist article's parts list ($1500 in upgrades to an M620). Seems like good stuff -> http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0612_2006_ducati_monster_620_surgery/ . Probably pretty relevent to the 695.

Cheers,
Fergus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts