Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All - Do all my own mechanical work and plan to do so on my first Duc. I have a 01 S4 and want to know what you feel the best Service Manual, Repair Guide is? How many are available?

Same time, any particular tools I need to add to my tool box to work on my Monster? Example, I can see I need a new socket to remove the rear wheel axle bolt...

Thanks in advance

Ray

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
options-
Haynes Guide
Desmotimes Desmoquattro service and mod guide
ducati shop manual

i use the first two when i work on my bike...im not very mechanical, so i like the haynes the best...it is step by step with lots of pics (there isnt a model specific to your 4V tho)

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BOUGHT IT - Thanks guys!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi !

I would appreciate any feedback on this book . Have the same bike and the same ambition !

I already own the Lt Snyder book wich I find pretty usefull but something specifically written for my bike is interesting.

So let me know what you think of it !

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the manual in the mail the other day and had some time to study it. Here are my initial observations:

Pros
Official Ducati Manual
Details of operations include part no. of special tools needed
Drawings of special tools needed included on one page
Calls out some operations that can be done in the frame or out (interestingly enough it doesn’t do that for cam belt replacement)
Nice schematics that call out the disassemble order

Cons
Everything in metric – you need to do the conversions
No pics of a lot of operations just text

I might still buy something more illustrative to supplement this Factory Service Manual later...but then there is the internet and this forum if I get stuck or have questions...

Ray

·
Registered
203 Posts
I recently purchased an electronic manual off of ebay. It was $8.00. It is pretty detailed and I am happy with it. Mine is for a 696, but he does have others.

Here is the ebay store http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cyber-wares/

I am no way affiliated with this. I just purchased one!

Jim

·
Registered
238 Posts
Received a few days ago the ducati shop manual and I'm really glad I did buy it.

I find it very usefull because of the "step by step" progression they give you for any of the job you would like to do.

This book in addition with the Snyder desmoquatro puts you in confidence for any maintenance or modification work you intend to do.

A "must have" for any DIYers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts