Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't come up with much, so I will ask (sorry if this is a repeat tread) what is the best choice in Clip ons? thanks tommy

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
IMO the thing to keep in mind is how they mount.

The "redlines' just go RIGHT on, and on almost ALL monsters you don't have to fart around with the top tripple (raising the forks in them) to get them installed.

There are a virtual ASSLOAD of clip-ons out there that will install with no problems if you raise the forks up a bit. (99+ ss clipons, woodcraft, vortex)

Also, if you have the COFFIN type master cylinders be aware that you may or may NOT be able to slide your controlls as far inward as you would like. (Rizoma)

This probably just added confusion..sorry. ;D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I looked long and hard at the Redlines. They look good and are definately the lowest cost option. I didn't think you could mount them under the tripple. So if you don't have 3cm of exposed forks above your tripple you will probably have to slide the forks through a bit.

In the end I ordered Cyclecats. They go on under the tripple with no messing around and they have a range of adjustable positions. I'm still waiting on delivery but when I get them installed I will post.

NB: Keep in mind that whatever you choose you will have to ensure your levers, lines and mirrors still fit or buy some new ones.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Be aware that the Redlines have a tendency to loosen up over time and may be a pain to readjust. There may be a point when you'll understand that you should've gotten the CycleCats.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Be aware that the Redlines have a tendency to loosen up over time and may be a pain to readjust. There may be a point when you'll understand that you should've gotten the CycleCats.
Care to elaborate? Do you mean the bolts back out or what?

Install with LockTite, mark the clamps and fork tubes so you can monitor for any slight rotation.

I have over 10,000 mi on mine. Haven't had any problem yet.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
There are two problems. First the bolts come loose, which you solve with Loctite. However, at some point, even with the bolts tight, a gradual swivel starts to occur. At first it's just a bit to adjust occasionally, then it inevitably becomes more frequent. Now I'm sure there are ways to remedy the problem with shims, roughening the surface or applying some kind of epoxy, and if you don't it's easy to damage your forks by over tightening or your tank if you don't pay attention to the change in angle. The root cause for this is very likely insufficient contact area (which is an advantage in other ways, for an over-the-triple set).

Could be seen as nothing more than a nuisance, but quality it's not.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Hmm.
I own the same clip-ons Don owns and so far (200 miles) they've been great. I know it's a short term thing in my case, but it would seem if installed properly, these clipons would be just fine. If you or anyone else can elaborate on why one should stay away from these, I'd like to hear it.
T.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have CycleCats. Very nice, very tight, very expensive... I went under the clamp, and find the riding position comfortable for my gorilla length arms.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Just out of curiousity, how thick are the clamp sections - or how many mm of fork have to be above the triple for full contact with the Redlines?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Just out of curiousity, how thick are the clamp sections - or how many mm of fork have to be above the triple for full contact with the Redlines?
25mm...

I've had both the Redlines and now Cycle Cats and I ride Laura's M900 with Roadracing clip-ons.

You get what you pay for with the Cycle Cats, it's as easy as that. Quality and adjustabillity are far better than any other clip-ons that I've seen.

I did have the rotating problem with my Redlines, the root of the problem was that mine did not have a big enough gap where the bolts went through the clamps, so at a certain point they were tightening on themselves instead of the fork tubes. I corrected the problem by removing about 1/16" material from the inside of the gap. On older Monsters you could run them under the clamps, but I'm not sure about bikes with the newer triples. The better option was mounting the clamp above the triple and the either using the riser up to get them higher, use no riser, or invert the riser to get them even lower. Most people that I've seen just omit the riser.

The Roadracing clip ons are probably a tad higher quality than Redlines. They have secondary bolts that go into the old bar clamp holes, so if you have a molded in clamp you may be SOL with the stock upper triple. Roadracing clip-ons have no adjustabillity, and the clamp can't rotate on the fork tube. The actual bar is replaceable with readily available tubing in the event of a get-off that damages the bar (Redlines have a machined bar that must be replaced if damaged). Rizoma is similar.

HTH,
--Fillmore

1 - 14 of 14 Posts