Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching and didn't find a thread about people who want to relocate from cold to warmer climates for more riding. If there is one, please tell me and I apologize.

My husband and I don't have children so that we can have bikes and dogs and a cheap hunk of hobby farm land in the heart of twisty western Wisconsin. Obviously, our odometers are about half the count of anyone else in the U.S. and the winters are just brutal, especially for me, a native Californian and Duc owner.

He's an import mechanic, and I'm a freelance writer and I've done plenty of corporate marketing work. We're both politically left, although he is waaaay left and enjoys his firearms. I am the kind of left who just wants to be left alone and doesn't mind paying taxes so that we can ALL live comfortably.

Except for the Satanic stuff, we're not religious. [cheeky]

California is out, unless it's waaay out -- like cheap. My family is all in the Bay Area and I can't afford to move back there and don't want to work 24/7 just to have a shack in the woods. The South is mostly out because heat blows.

Can anyone recommend a good city/state for sportbike riding and slacker living?

What we'd like:

1. Twisties
2. Good coffee
3. Inexpensive, with possible hobby farm life
4. Progressive communities
5. Other sportbike people
6. Sushi within 50 miles
7. 2" maximum snowfall

Right now, we're looking at Salt Lake City (i know, but i hear it's worth it), North Carolina (?), and Italy.

Thank you so much for taking some time to cheerlead your city or the place you dream of living,

Sari

P.S. Please don't yell at me if I posted in the wrong place. I usually stay in MADDOG and don't venture out much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Asheville, NC. Yes it's the South, but it is an Oasis of liberal thinking in the otherwise conservative South. Asheville sits around 2200 feet in the mountains. Average summer highs 86-88, winter highs 35-45. Very little snow (at least for the last 5 years or so) and some of the best sport riding in the country. Deals Gap (the Dragon), Blue Ridge Parkway, mountain roads and country land as far as the eye can see. Funky downtown, cheap housing (compared to the west coast).
The tallest mountains east of the Mississippi are the towns backdrop. It's worth a look.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My parents are about to move to Pinehurst NC. If they are going to move there, it can't be too country ;) both being city folk from the northeast.

Off the top of my noodle, perhaps NC, Arizona, Austin area of TX, some areas to the West of Washington DC .. anyone else got something?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, all great starts to go research. If anyone has good websites to check out besides ones that list the average income and school info, I'd love that, too!

Sari

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I am from the MidWest myself. I've been here in AZ (Tucson, Flagstaff, Phoenix area) since the early 90's. It gets hot..but you can ride all year. There is A LOT to see and you'll have our own private mechanic who will service the bike for you!

I'm moving to Florida and dreading the maint. costs. I have really had it good here as far as that topic goes.

3 years with the Duc and close to 50,000 miles!

It's a buyers market here so you can't go wrong..MOVE NOW!!

BTW..I also noticed Italy on your list. Unless you speak the Italian language and a few others..that can be a huge barrier! It's a beautiful place but the riding is insane! I've been there a couple times (riding the second time). Take a look at the Euro videos on UTube.com.

I can't comment on SLC.

NC looks like it could be a nice place. I see on TV that Ashville is a growing place.

There's a lot of Ducs here and a million other bikes.

Sushi is always close and we have a few good places..I hear..I don't eat it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
SLC is great place if you enjoy skiing and mountains - there are 4 excellent ski resorts (Alta (great mountain) and Solitude (cheap) are my favorites; Brighton is a good mountain well; Snowbird is bit expensive) 30 minutes south-east of SLC's city limits. The city is really nice, too, however, it is theocracy - the Mormon church basically runs the state.

In the winter it can get quite cold (in the thirties is common in December and January, from what I remember). It also snow as well (when it does it snows more than 2 inches).

·
Registered
141 Posts
another vote for Austin.
one step better would be Wimberley, Tx, less than 40 miles from Austin.
small community (though its growing), lots of artists & musicians. great rides through the hill country.
Buy yourself a truck, raise a coouple of goats, start drinking Shiner Boch and ride when the mood strikes....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Red Baron said:
Have you considered the Sonora, CA area?
Hard to find work there, isn't it?

What about Sonora would you recommend?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ducatizzy said:
Chairman Mao was politically left and liked guns too.. So was Stalin..
Hey, I'm not a big fan of guns myself, but Hitler liked keeping people unarmed, too. :)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
SAducati said:
Buy yourself a truck, raise a coouple of goats, start drinking Shiner Boch and ride when the mood strikes....
Just don't take the goat for a ride after drinking copious amounts of Shiner. Just imagine what the neighbors would say! [cheeky]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RobJohn3 said:
The city is really nice, too, however, it is theocracy - the Mormon church basically runs the state.
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I think I'd rather shovel snow. They say the cold weather (and I'm talking about 40-below, not 30 above zero!!) keeps the riff-raff out. Lutherans are pretty harmless.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Count Desmo said:
Just don't take the goat for a ride after drinking copious amounts of Shiner. Just imagine what the neighbors would say! [cheeky]
*shrug* why do you think Austin's motto is 'keep Austin weird' ?? ;)

although the climate may be a bit off for you, it's not as bad as Houston for damn sure, but it does get its hot times in the year. Austin's about as politically different from the rest of Texas as you can get AND it's the capital :p One thing you should realize about Texas weather though, central air is absolutely the norm EVERYWHERE, so there is ALWAYS relief from the heat unlike a lot of other places...

From what I hear, there's a lot of resources for writers and artists in and around the city, and it's a short jump to get away from the city life any direction you go if you so choose... [thumbsup]

Seattle's a great little city too, reminds me a lot of Austin (and I LOVE Austin), same goes for Nashville, may want to look at those as well :)

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
+1 on Nashville. [thumbsup]

As for Sonora, it's not that far from your family in the bay area, but as for jobs there might not be that much to offer. lots of beautiful land.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi ya'll,
She (slo) finally got me to subscribe with this post. I'm not gonna get kicked off because I ride a Buell am I? I've been leaning towards the south since we started talking about moving so NC or TX sound better than AZ or UT. Anyone have an opinion about Nashville, I hear it's growing rapidly.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.