Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too satisfied with the initial bite and stopping power of my stock brakes. What do you guys think are my best options for upgrading (no, I'm not going to buy monoblocks). I'm talking a few hundred dollars max. I want these things to grab HARD!

What are the best pads to use?
Radial master cylinder?
Full-floater buttons?
Should I hold out and splurge on 4 Pad Brembos?
New rotors?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
The best bang for the buck will probably be the right combo of pads and rotors. The object is to improve the bite and fade resistance without giving up the feel that is necessary to avoid pushing the front end out whenever braking in a turn. Upgrading calipers and or m/c's is probably overkill and unnecessary expense in many cases. Of course, that stuff still has the "cool factor".

Run a search on the boards here covering about 180 days back (the Max Age parameter). Search keywords brakes, brake rotors, brake pads. In one of the threads Chris outlined some good combos based on ductile iron rotors, but I can't remember which pads with them.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Braketech cast iron rotors and EBC HH or Ferodo CP911 pads would probably get you where you want to go. (They bite like hell, but the rotors may not last long with sintered pads and you might have to consider heat issues).

I actually like the Ferodo Platinum pads on cast iron rotors, maybe not as much intial bite, but they feel great.

The 999 has the best brakes I've ever felt on a stock bike, so 4-pad calipers and radial MCs are pretty high on my list right now.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
My SS had Nissin master, stock rotors and calipers, braided lines and EBC pads, and it had very powerful stopping.
actually too powerful...i locked up the front on several occasions (combo of low rider skill, and not much 'feel' on the brakes/too grabby).
Fillmore's problem now [smiley=cheeky.gif]
The best brakes i EVER felt are on Nunez's M750.
Brembo narrowband rotors, 4pad calipers, dunno which masters. big power and great feel.
they arent that expensive either (especially if you have the newer 65mm caliper mounts)
the BT/ferodo combo is prob a good one too

·
Registered
796 Posts
Do you have steel braided lines? thats a good place to start.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, they came on my 02. Would I aftermarket lines make a difference?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
My SS had Nissin master, stock rotors and calipers, braided lines and EBC pads, and it had very powerful stopping.
actually too powerful...i locked up the front on several occasions (combo of low rider skill, and not much 'feel' on the brakes/too grabby).
Fillmore's problem now

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This damn mod bug is killing me. I'm browsing around, checking out my options, and that little voice in my head keeps saying, "Hey! If you're gonna spend $600 on new rotors, why not just spend a few hundred more on new calipers?" "...and hey! If you're gonna do all that, you mights as well get the radial mc," "...and that radial brake mc just won't look right with the clutch coffin on the other side, so you might as well replace that too!" "...and what about that rear? You should really put a lightened full-floater back there just so the back of the bike doesn't get jealous of the front." Arrrghhhh! And I still have my superbike forks sitting on my workbench because I haven't even gotten around to buying all the lovely CC bits I need for the conversion!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Welcome to my world... :p

--Fillmore

G

·
I think pads are very good upgrade if you don't want to spend alot of money (under $100). A Brembo GP radial master cylinder is a little over $200. Brembo 4 pad calipers are about $400 for the pair and good rotors like the AXIS are about $600/pair.

I have Brembo GP radial master cylinders on all of my bikes. I love the progresive feel and two finger effort.

On my M944, I'm using the Brembo 4 pad calipers and narrow band rotors ($400/pair) with the STM fulll floating buttons. It works very good. Nunez is using the more expensive corsa type narrow bands with the same calipers because he was worried about warping the rotors -- but I think he was using the wrong type of pads.

I'm using the AXIS rotors on the 999S with the 4 pad calipers.
These are great rotors. I think this is the best combo for the price.

On my 916SP, I went with Brembo Monoblock calipers and corsa rotors because the dollar was strong at the time. This is the best set up that I ever experienced on a bike. The Monoblocks are very confidence inspiring - but pricey. The AXIS/4 pad/radial master combo comes very close to this for a lot less money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I upgraded my S4R brakes to the 999 set up(minus new rotors) and I believe the 4 pad Brembos are worth every $.
They really haul your ass down. I had no choice since my RSV1000R had these....it is hard to backwards in stopping power. I also added the 999 pumps as well, these units are light weight and work very well. Just my .02 cents.

Jeff

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ohh, decisions decisions. Do I...

(a) Pay off some of my holiday credit card bill
(b) Finally get that top triple and clip-ons so I can install my 748 forks
(c) Go for the brake upgrade

*Sigh*

G

·
ok, what else do I need. I got a hole burning in my pocket..if I go 4 pad, do I need all new lines for a S4 or jsut the banjo bolt ? I'm a little confused.

thansk

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
My dream setup (which I've never tried) would be Discatati(sp) master, Brembo monoblock calipers, one carbon rotor with carbon pads, & one wave rotor with a sintered pad. Of course, it's a lot of money to piss away if it doesn't work!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts