Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm now ready to buy an aftermarket tacho/speedo. I've been doing searches on this subject for a while now, and was wondering whether the SPA tach's were still thought to be the best out there? (The last raving reviews I could find were back in 2005).

It's for a '96 M900 project bike, with a CycleCat top yolk, so perhaps some of you may be able to advise me as to whether they're easy to mount or not.

As always...many thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
FWIW I still think mine is awesome. It will fit in the stock housing if you use the OEM gasket. I have the tach/speedo with no problems with either in 2 full seasons. I have some pics of the install if you're interested.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
It's nice without a doubt, but at $501 plus shipping it's too pricey for me.
It does have features the SPA doesn't offer though.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$501? That's actually WAY cheaper than the price of the SPA ones I was looking at!

Ducpainter, sure I'd love to see any pictures you have of the install...thanks!

Speeddog, can you tell me if the Motogadget will easily install onto the CycleCat triple?

Cheers guys [thumbsup]

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
My SPA was $400 shipped. Not sure where you are or which model you are looking at. Here you go.
Edit: Just checked pricing online. Only went to one site, but the price is now $496.95. Makes the motogadget look much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I want that guage! I saw their brackets as well. If any one has an 03 04 monster and can measure the spacing between the mounting bolts on the guages. I'd appreciate it [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I happen to have my "02 S4 cluster off and I measure 125mm ctr of both holes. I'm pretty sure the cluster is the same as an '03.
hope that helps.
MM

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Motogadget is gorgeous...although I'd kinda like a black dial, but hey never mind, I can live with white ;D

How in the hell would I wire it though? As far as I can see, on my current guages I have the speedo cable, the rev wires and the main wiring loom for the warning lights, all coming into my stock cluster. Forgive me for being a complete diddy, but is this Motogadget piece compatible with all of this?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
When I did my SPA since the speedo cable was eliminated I ran the wires in that hole. I used the lighting feed for the speedo as a switched power source.

Since the motogadget replaces many of your indicators it looks like you'll have to cut the connector off and do some splicing.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It's been a long time since I bought an expensive tach because the cheaper ones seem to work just as well these days. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Norm said:
It's been a long time since I bought an expensive tach because the cheaper ones seem to work just as well these days. Am I missing something?
Well, he did ask for the *best*....
Indeed, the Motogadget and SPA units certainly aren't cheap.

What kinds of tachs have you used?
I'm sure some folks would be interested in less spendy alternatives.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
+1 with pics

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
autometer pro-cycle. I have a 5" tach sitting on my floor right now. It's wobbly at idle, but above about 1500 rpm it's smooth and accurate. it is huge, though.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Norm said:
[laugh] No, not at all mate. I've spent the GDP of a small country on this feckin project so far, amounted debts that will take years to clear...so I thought hell, why stop now heh!

When I said best, I was actually thinking more aesthetically than technically. I'm open to every single suggestion and piece of input you have...please...I really would welcome it :)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I generally use some kind of mini tach on the bikes I build, but I find that the Cruiser catalogs have a terrific selection in all sizes. You can usually get different style/color bezels as well as a choice of face colors, usually within the same brand (although you may have to different retailers). You can usually find a large selection for under $100. As long as the tach needle goes up and down with the engine RPMs, what else do you want a tach to do? I know there are other features available, but in the end, they just seem like a bunch of unimportant bling. Spend the extra money on suspension.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The Motogadget is a universal gauge which requires some type of speedo sensor (not necessarily a stocker), a switched power source (duh), and a momentary switch to toggle the functions of the gauge.

It seems very well made, and comes with an awesome instruction manual. I'll be wiring it up in the next couple months, but suspect it will be very easy to do.

·
Banned
303 Posts
This may be a silly question but...how do you know if these other gauges (ie. the ones you get from cruiser catalogs) are compatible?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts