Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd like to bend my chromed steel handlebars (LSL "superbike") a few degrees so they go a little further forward (to clear the tank), and tilt down just a hair (to be a little easier on my wrists). i like where they are, but they are too flat and my right wrist is getting angry at me for this. tilting them back will only reduce my steering lock more.

so.... is it safe to give them a little bend? if so, what technique should i be using? cheater pipe and a propane torch w/ a vise? ???

advise-away, please!

·
Registered
512 Posts
You can cold bend them easily enough -- just check the wall thickness first. You won't be able to bend them much without the chrome from developing possible fractures. Heat on the chrome will discolor it. Just pull the grips/controls and find a tube to slide over the bar end for 7+ inches. You don't want the bend to occur in the grip or section where your controls are mounted. Thus use a sharpie to locate their locations before bending.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
IMO I would look for some different bars.

We used to bend bars back after minor upsets, using an electrician's tube bender.
Did it right on the bike, just pulled off the switches and levers and cranked away one guy holding the bike and the other applying the force.

I would be concerned that you could damage the upper triple clamp doing that now.

Can you install some risers to change the position?

Disassemble everything and look for someone who has a tube bender, like a muffler shop.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I agree... find some other bars. If you find that for some reason you don't like the new position you can always go back. It would be too easy to compromise the integrity of your bars by bending them yourself, especially without the proper equipment. Check out the bars from Renthal. They have a load of different bends, in many colors and they can be had for relatively cheap. If you're patient you can find them on eBay too. I just got a pair for $10 shipped to my door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts