Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor, poor supersport :'(

Just got both bikes back from our Aussie guests. Ivan (mostro900) had a little crash on El Camino Real in Belmont. He suffered a bruised ego and scraped leathers like I did.

The bike went down on the same (left) side I crashed it on. I'll let him post up and tell the story (believe me, you WANT to hear why he crashed), but for now it looks like this:
- Bent front top fairing stay on the left side.
- Broken windscreen
- Cracked right upper fairing (from compression of the windscreen)
- Left mirror is gone (hooray! I hated that thing)
- Side stand is thrashed, and the spring is gone.
- Shaved left clip-on
- Left side of tank is scratched and flattened, and there's a dent in the tank where the clip-on hit it.
- Ground the front axle
- Thrashed clutch lever (same one CADUCMAN helped me replace)

I may have missed something, but that'll come out in the wash. Just glad that Ivan's OK. But damn, my SS has gone down every Thursday since I brought it home [laugh]

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Crap, man! [laugh] Glad to hear folks are OK. You're taking the double-wadding of your bike very well I might say. I'd be in a dark corner, holding my knees, rocking back and forth while turning a lamp off and on if my bike went down twice in a week. [cheeky]

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostrobelle said:
Crap, man! [laugh] Glad to hear folks are OK. You're taking the double-wadding of your bike very well I might say. I'd be in a dark corner, holding my knees, rocking back and forth while turning a lamp off and on if my bike went down twice in a week. [cheeky]
I'd be doing the same if it were the S4R...which is why the thought of you barfing on it kept me from riding to DML night [laugh] Then again, I'm not about to lend my shiny new S4R to folks who drive on the other side of the road ;D

BTW - I ordered the biker ballz...DESMO Q will soon be deneutered into a post-op she-male [cheeky]
http://www.nutsfortrucks.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=3f360cb4256e0be22406274206ae6b9f

·
Registered
444 Posts
I will check the parts box again but I think I am out of spare parts [laugh]. We need to change your ride day to Wednesday I think!!

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
desmoquattro said:
I'd be doing the same if it were the S4R...which is why the thought of you barfing on it kept me from riding to DML night [laugh] Then again, I'm not about to lend my shiny new S4R to folks who drive on the other side of the road ;D

BTW - I ordered the biker ballz...DESMO Q will soon be deneutered into a post-op she-male [cheeky]
http://www.nutsfortrucks.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=3f360cb4256e0be22406274206ae6b9f
Oh no you di-in't! [laugh]

·
Registered
602 Posts
sorry to hear that desmo, maybe if we combine our two bikes we could have a whole one;)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Glad Ivan is okay. Desmo, you're a good sport [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
goldFiSh said:
**** good to hear Ivan's ok, but damn! Thursday = SS stays at home from now on!
More like, "Don't let anyone who's lived, visited, or been within a 1000 mile radius of Australia on it." [cheeky]

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I'm really glad Ivan's ok. It's one thing to get a bit banged up when you're at home. But when you're in a foreign country? That would just suck.

belle, if the crash ticker is getting full (too many characters), I'd say drop the dates instead of dropping the number of days. The part of it that always hit me--visually--was that number of short intervals between crashes. It's not as immediate when you have dates on there. Leave the most recent date and the red "days since"

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Unfortunately, the ticker IS too full--both of crashes and characters for my sig. [laugh] I'll revamp the ticker in a day or two. I gotta do the counts all over again now. ::) ...and I'm just too tired to do it tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I have a headache, as well. Good night.

[laugh]

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Thanks to all the well-wishers ! I think I have a cracked rib or 2, but that's all. The bruised ego/pride will take a little longer to heal.

My profoundest apologies to Desmoquattro, embarressment for this sort of incident doesn't begin to describe how I feel. So a big cheer to Joe for the way he has handled the incident. [thumbsup] A better mate you could not ask for. [clap] [clap] and that's not just for the way he handled this particular incident, but everything else he did for pretty much strangers. Very cool. And appreciated.

So to the incident in question. We had a team building event on the Thursday afternoon(go karting), followed by dinner. Both of these events were mandatory, so unfortunately that meant missing the DML get together at the Geist. Grrr.

Anyway, dinner proceeded quite well, starting at about 6:30. I had a Corona to quench my thirst from go-karting and then stuck to water all night. My team knows me well enough, that they were all surprised, but when riding.....
So 10:30 comes around, dinner has finished and we make our way out to the carpark. Oh, BTW, dinner was at Iron Gate on El Camino Real. I got the helmet on on, warmed up the bike and then proceeded to head out onto the road. As per habit(Australian habit!!!!) I looked over my right shoulder, no traffic and so pulled out and took off. I cut across the 3 lanes, cause I knew that I had to turn right to get back to the hotel. As I looked up I saw white lights where red tail lights should have been. At the moment, I realised I was all f'd up and on the wrong side. All 3 lanes were full with cars coming straight at me. As I was cutting across the lanes to the right, I had to brake and try to pull over to the left, as the car in the right most lane was the furthest ahead. With cold tires I pulled back into the middle lane, but the rear went out from under me and we started to slide. We hit the deck at about the point of impact with the car in the right lane if I stayed in that lane. The bike and I were sliding and the cars in the middle lane pulled into the right lane(remember, this is the innermost lane from my perspective). Bike stopped sliding and I did as well(few cuts, bruises and probably cracked ribs). I jumped up and grabbed the bike and got onto the footpath. Jury-rigged some string to hold up the stand as the spring had gone and it wouldn't stay up. I then rode back to the hotel - on the right side of the road without further incident.

In over 10 years of driving on foreign roads on other sides of the street, this is only the 2nd time I have caught myself on the wrong side. The first time was in a car in Verbier and I realised very quickly and had no problem. This time I realised quite quickly too(albeit too late), but traffic was involved so ouch...

Anyway, so sorry Joe and let's get the SS back on the road. Ebay searching for panels, etc. now! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mostro900 said:
Thanks to all the well-wishers ! I think I have a cracked rib or 2, but that's all. The bruised ego/pride will take a little longer to heal.
Ouch! I hope they aren't cracked, Ivan. And I hope there's no turbulence on the flight back tonight [laugh]...you should be boarding right about now..at least it's business class. Bikes can be fixed, but bones and flesh take some time.

Anyway, I've been researching options with the bike. Will call CycleFinish tomorrow about the tank and (possibly) the non-cracked fairings. I also found an aftermarket windshield, and am perusing DML-discounted stores and ebay for parts.

I'm stoked you guys made it out and got to experience Mines Rd. Hoping you and other Aussie DMLers can make it out again sometime. It was fun!

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
mostro900 said:

My profoundest apologies to Desmoquattro, embarressment for this sort of incident doesn't begin to describe how I feel. So a big cheer to Joe for the way he has handled the incident. [thumbsup] A better mate you could not ask for. [clap] [clap] and that's not just for the way he handled this particular incident, but everything else he did for pretty much strangers. Very cool. And appreciated.

So to the incident in question. We had a team building event on the Thursday afternoon(go karting), followed by dinner. Both of these events were mandatory, so unfortunately that meant missing the DML get together at the Geist. Grrr.

Anyway, dinner proceeded quite well, starting at about 6:30. I had a Corona to quench my thirst from go-karting and then stuck to water all night. My team knows me well enough, that they were all surprised, but when riding.....
So 10:30 comes around, dinner has finished and we make our way out to the carpark. Oh, BTW, dinner was at Iron Gate on El Camino Real. I got the helmet on on, warmed up the bike and then proceeded to head out onto the road. As per habit(Australian habit!!!!) I looked over my right shoulder, no traffic and so pulled out and took off. I cut across the 3 lanes, cause I knew that I had to turn right to get back to the hotel. As I looked up I saw white lights where red tail lights should have been. At the moment, I realised I was all f'd up and on the wrong side. All 3 lanes were full with cars coming straight at me. As I was cutting across the lanes to the right, I had to brake and try to pull over to the left, as the car in the right most lane was the furthest ahead. With cold tires I pulled back into the middle lane, but the rear went out from under me and we started to slide. We hit the deck at about the point of impact with the car in the right lane if I stayed in that lane. The bike and I were sliding and the cars in the middle lane pulled into the right lane(remember, this is the innermost lane from my perspective). Bike stopped sliding and I did as well(few cuts, bruises and probably cracked ribs). I jumped up and grabbed the bike and got onto the footpath. Jury-rigged some string to hold up the stand as the spring had gone and it wouldn't stay up. I then rode back to the hotel - on the right side of the road without further incident.

In over 10 years of driving on foreign roads on other sides of the street, this is only the 2nd time I have caught myself on the wrong side. The first time was in a car in Verbier and I realised very quickly and had no problem. This time I realised quite quickly too(albeit too late), but traffic was involved so ouch...

Anyway, so sorry Joe and let's get the SS back on the road. Ebay searching for panels, etc. now! [thumbsup]
All joking aside, we're all relieved that you're OK. [thumbsup] Joe's a class act for sure. I can't see him losing his cool over something like this. :-* You're braver than I am, as I have never even contemplated driving in another country, let alone one where the lanes are all messed up. Like Spidey said, it sucks to go down--and I bet it really sucks to wad it when you're far away from home and on a borrowed bike. Heal up soon and let us know if there's anything we can do for you while you're here--but don't ask me to help you tomorrow...I'm at the track, so you're on your own. [cheeky]

'Belle

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.