Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I low-sided the 900SS today on Redwood Road ::)

Met up with CADUCMAN and his exquisite S4R++ at Peet's in Castro Valley around 8:45 AM. These two bikes produce a nice symphony of dry clutch rattle and ear-splitting pipe tones. We took off and headed out on a fairly wet Redwood Rd. I was taking it easy, the SS being a new bike and all, with CADUCMAN patiently following my slow ass through the twisties. We rode several miles, then I pulled over at the intersection of Pinehurst Rd to chat about where to go next. We decided to double back and find some more twisties.

About 30 seconds after the turnaround, the southern sun hit my visor and kept me from seeing the glistening-wet tar patch in a slow-motion southbound twisty. My front wheel slipped out instantly (no braking necessary...a tank tread would have slipped out on this tar), the bike low-sided at about 25mph, and I tumbled into the pavement, my bike's life flashing before my eyes ;D

I was up almost instantly, walking around to make sure all the stock body parts still worked. My left glove's plastic knuckle guards were scraped almost clean, there was a hole in my jacket, and another scrape in my knee puck (yes!). CADUCMAN graciously helped me lift the bike up out of the dirt to take an inventory of the damage.

Mangled shift lever? Check.
Shredded left grip? Check.
Slightly-ground clutch lever? Check.
Dirt-colored racing scratches/stripes on the front, mid, and lower fairing and seat cowl? Check.
Broken front-right signal? Check.
Scratched left mirror? Check.
Minor scrathches on the tank? Check.

A lesson in irony here: at Peet's I noticed that the left bar-end was falling out so I put it in my pocket. When the bike fell, it scraped up the end of the clip-on, the bar-end caused a hole in my jacket, and got scraped up [laugh]

Vince lent me a crescent wrench and I de-mangled the shifter lever enough to ride the bike. I hated that shifter anyway...way too short for my size 12 boots. But the bike ran fine (albeit without a tach because I apparently blew a fuse due to the short caused by the fused turn signal stub) so we decided to limp back to his house to see what we could do with it.

I have to say, Vince was the man today. He scrounged me lots of parts... His stock S4R shifter fit the SS linkage perfectly, and was longer than the stock one (yes!). He had a spare grip to replace the one I had shredded. And he gave me a pair of clip-ons to put on the bike later. He really saved my arse out there. This is exactly why we love the DML: great people. Vince, I owe you many drinks!

The SS is pretty much ready to ride again, if not cospetically perfect. Ivan's going to have to live with a scratched up fairing.

Lessons learned:
- Taking the S4R would have been a very bad idea.
- Frame sliders are good.
- Wet roads plus riding southbound in the morning is a bad idea.
- You can never go too slowly on a wet road.
- Redwood Rd. is NOT a racetrack. Pescadero Rd, on the other hand...
- Plastic and leather are easier to replace than (human) flesh and bone.
- Having good people with you on a ride is always a plus.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Damn chief - glad you're okay. Clip ons and clutch levers are nothin', compared to the worst-case scenarios, that could have been.

It's time for me to start the eating and drinking festivities with the family (have a safe and happy thanksgiving people).

·
Registered
191 Posts
:-\ Hope no injuries have crept up since the fall. Eat extra amounts of turkey and pie for a well deserved food coma and some extra fuel for healin' ;)

·
Registered
769 Posts
desmo :eek: Glad you're okay man!

Vince, you rock [thumbsup] :-*

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
desmoquattro said:
I low-sided the 900SS today on Redwood Road ::)
Bugger, glad to hear you're OK...

The SS is pretty much ready to ride again, if not cospetically perfect. Ivan's going to have to live with a scratched up fairing.
That's OK, he's used to that by now <smirk>

big

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks guys. I just rode the SS to Novato and back, so it's definitely back in the game. And aside from a bruised ego I'm fine :)

Now all three of my bikes will be on Mines Rd. Sat so everyone will get to see the damage and laugh at me [laugh]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yikes!
Sorry to hear 'bout the misshap, but glad you are OK (and still coming out to Mines!) [thumbsup]

G

·
Joe,

Met up with Big today @ mecca and he told me about this.. I had a heavy week last week and did not get a whole heap of time to surf the DML...

Damn, glad to hear your OK, and the bike's (relatively) OK.

Nick

bigiain said:
[clap] [clap] [clap]

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
goldFiSh said:
Joe,

Met up with Big today @ mecca and he told me about this.. I had a heavy week last week and did not get a whole heap of time to surf the DML...

d**n, glad to hear your OK, and the bike's (relatively) OK.

Nick

[clap] [clap] [clap]
Thanks for the well-wishes, Nick. The SS is fine...we worked on her a bit today and she's raring to go. Ivan likes the way she rides.

Just got back from the bars with Ivan and Peter. We're riding Mines Rd. tomorrow with some DMLers. You guys need to make it out here sometime...always good to have guests.

Joe

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
bigiain said:

big
Crikey ! ;D
It's getting hard keeping up with the responses now that there are posts about my riding abilities on other 'local clubs' forums.....is the DML a tax deduction at least ?

You'll be glad to know I survived quite nicely on the SS today and I must say that I am warming up to the idea of a S4R in the stable too ! [thumbsup]

NRMA assessor - it's a write-off :angel:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Glad you're okay.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Sorry to heard that Desmo... bummer. Redwood has a tendency to get mossy quickly in the corners that don't see so much sun. Ticker updated. Glad you're OK. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
769 Posts
Another lesson learned, heard from desmo but he didn't note it above:
- Zip up the jacket to the pants. That saved some skin.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Glad no permanent damage occured. Its slick out there. Be careful all...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts