Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

After crashing with my beloved Shoei XR1000 Moore replica I´m looking into purchasing a Bell M4R Carbon or M5X (White with red stripes like my S4Rs) but Bell isn´t a brand that sells well (or sells at all) in the UK and mainland EU.

Any experiences or thoughts on the brand, fit and finish etc?

I´ve been looking at http://www.bell-motohelmets.com/uk/Index_uk.htm

Regards,
NuTTs

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Bell has been around since forever in the US, but in the past 10 years or so they've been more successful at selling bicycle helmets than motorcycle helmets. I guess their designs seemed dated to people, although now they seem to be trying to get with it. If it fits I'm sure it'll do the job.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bell is definitely associated with bicycle helmets, but also auto racing helmets. My dad races cars and has always worn Bell. I've been riding for 3 years now with a Bell M2 helmet and have been very satisfied with it.

I need to get a motorcycle helmet though now (highway riding is a bit rough with the shape of the M2) and I'm probably going to get the Sprint. I have a little round head and the Bell fits just right.

http://www.bellpowersports.com/main.html

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
yeah. i've worn bell auto racing helmets for years. as the other folks have said, they're solid, but dunno how good the features/functions are for bikes. kinda like simpson. the helmets work great for car racing, but not having/sponsoring bike racers significantly limits their bike helmet r&d compared to other brands, imho.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a Bell Apex. I bought it because it fit my head as well as any other helmet I tried on and I got it at a really good price. They had it marked at their cost not at the retail price. It has good ventilation and is very comfortable but it does have a high pitched whistle unless I turn my head just a little bit to the side, kind of annoying. No FHE on how it is in a crash.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, from the pictures I've seen the M5 doesn't have cloaseable vents so that's a PITA in winter riding (it was down to -5 centigrade last night and -2 this morning when I left for work) as numb lips and ears are a no-no. The carbon M4 has the vents.. dunno, will have to find a dealer in Madrid and have a look at a real unit in my hands and try it out also.

I just wanted something different to my Arai, Shoei and Shark full face lids. I was going to go for the every so slightly camp Suomy Extreme Flowers with the alcantara lining etc. but at 675EUR it is a bit pricey.

I just wish I hadn't crashed with my XR1000.. that Moore replica paintjob is top notch and so different. :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
I remember as a college student during the '70s I could only afford a Shoei full face helmet. The Bell was maybe 3 times the price. As I recall they were considered by far the best helmet. Alas, I never had one.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Great helmet, IF it fits your head. Bell's fit round heads. Ovals not so well. No hope for my Alien shaped head.

I think the reason Bell lost share in the moto market was they focused where the money was (bike helmets) and they missed the demand for sportbike helmets with wild graphics. Who knew there'd be a market for moto helmets with lime green and purple stripes?

My head has always fit best in Arai's and I think they have the best liners and ventilation going. Darn expensive though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts