Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beef with TPO parts bashing on this board. First off those who do the most bashing assume that everybody in the world just knows how to work on their bikes and without instruction can come up with solutions to what may seem like basic questions to some of use. TPO may be expensive to those of use who know how to make things ourselves, but for those who don't or just don't have the time, why should they feel like they are buying inferior products? I understand that the guy claims a lot of data he most likely can't back up, but hell who cares. His parts are cheaper than getting the same job done through Ducati and his quality is top notch. I have his emissions bypass kit and crankcase removal kit. The only reason I bought them was because I didn't know how to do the job with out instructions. I felt the parts were worth the value of the time an energy that I would have had to put into the job to figure it out on my own. Plus there was no chance of f*ucking up the job. Most the people who have performed these basic mods would have never done them if not for seeing this guys parts or some bike that had his parts on them.

End of Soap Box Rant.

S

·
0 Posts
i understand where you're coming from because a lot of people really get a bit edgy on the subject. (norm, look at tpoparts.com).

i "confess" i also picked up an emissions kit from them because frankly, i didn't feel like doing the legwork of finding the bits required. while it's goofy-expensive compared to buying the parts piece-meal, i was blowing crazy $$$ for mag rims, clutch parts, ohlins shock, etc... so it was a "drop in the bucket".

now... here's where my "counter rant" comes in. people stick up for these products because of the convenience and the included instructions, right? ok, the convenience is nice for having the parts all together, but i think it's pretty lame that the instructions are what you're paying for. NOT because a little leg-work online will find you the same info for free, but because i _personally_ think the guy should volunteer the instructions for free!

go to evoluzione.net or to nicholsmfg.com for example and you'll see they offer the instructions for how to install their products FOR FREE on their sites. chris kelley's ca-cycleworks.com has links all over the place to his ducatitech.com site which again... instructions all over the place. i got great support from motowheels, yoyodyne, and spareshack as well. instructions weren't necessarily required for most of the stuff i did because i have a service manual, but still... providing instructions is part of customer service. a great way to attract traffic to your business is by offering instructions FOR FREE. that's what my rant would be.

i try to include a bunch of info on ducatipipemod.com about how i've performed the mods on my bike, and while i don't post pictoral instructions on how to modify your cans (the one paid service i offer), i readily share the info when asked for it.

another gripe is the claims made on the products. it's one way to put specs of your products and info on how it compares to what it's replacing, but he makes it sound like the stock bits are such crap that you'd be dumb not to buy the TPO counterparts! on another message board, the guy said his suspension rod made the stock ducati part seem like a "wet noodle" in comparison. PUH-LEASE!!!!!!!!!!

i've got no prob with somebody trying to make a buck. but there are ways to go about it that don't result in the reactions you see commonly here.

end of counter-rant ;D

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well, the general opinion, which I share, is that TPO makes deceptive and patently false claims about their products, and charges egregious prices for some of 'em. I haven't looked at the TPO site in quite a while, and it's not operating at this moment, so I can't comment specifically on the pricing or claims...

If TPO was 'straight up' about their products, they could probably charge the high prices without getting slammed so frequently...

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't know TPO except for what I read on this board and have therefore no opinion about them but I know this: I always appreciate good instructions and am willing to pay a bit more for them. That's true for everything I buy be it camcorders, VCRs, IKEA furniture (they have great instructions), and definitely motorcycle and car parts.

Not enough vendors understand this, but for me it can tip my decision to buy a product in favor of the one with the better instructions, even if its a couple Dollars more expensive.

EDIT: just read Strati's post - sure, that's why I keep going back to Chris Kelley. He might charge a Dollar or two more for a few things I could get online and out-of-state tax-free, but he's always been straight-up, his website has been immensely helpful, and he goes out of his way to offer support over the phone, via email, or on this board.

-R.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've never bought anything from TPO so I cannot comment,
ALTHOUGH I have purchased a pair of Alpinestar boots from Ryan. (Terrible Viking)

Did I get any instructions upon purchase?
NO :'(
Does he have a website to download the instructions from?
NO :'(

I had to figure out on my own that my foot needed to be inserted inside each one. Then I had to tighten the laces, zip them up and close the strap at the top....... ???

Then I hopped on my bike and I rode those darn instructionless boots all over the place ;D

Thanks Again Ryan,
;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WoW! I thought I would get major flames for this soap box, but I am very impressed by the reasonings behind the flames of TPO.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I still can't find that WEB site that Strati provided. Am I the only one who doesn't know who this guy is?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Good thread Andrew! I feel the same way when I hear people bash about homemade parts. Fabrication work is a talent and many people can't do it. Either because they don't know how or can't afford the equipment. I would rather have Fabricated parts on my bike by someone I knew, than pay top dollar at some parts shop... I do spend alot on parts, but it is after seeing if it can't be fabricated at home.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still can't find that WEB site that Strati provided. Am I the only one who doesn't know who this guy is?

You find his stuff on Ebay alot. The web page is down right now I guess.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Most expensive and useless instructions I've ever bought- the set that came with the Ducati Performance kit for my S4. I swear, SWEAR I say, that they are written by a fourth grader who speaks English as a second language. I mean, it was laughable. The service manual looks like an Oxford dictionary in comparision.

Not that this has anything to do with the original post ::)
I've never looked at the TPO site, but if the guy can make a few good bucks then more power to him. If he's actually lying then shame on him for doing so and I hope it bites him in the backside some day.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
TO ME it sounds like there is a market out there for cheaper versions of TPO parts. So lets make up a set of our own Emmissions Removal screws and loctite and sell them for $1 cheaper with free instructions online!

TaDa!

I bought the Emmisions Removal stuff because I didn't want to source those little screws you need to cover up some nipple you removed a hose from :-D

D

·
0 Posts
i try to include a bunch of info on ducatipipemod.com about how i've performed the mods on my bike, and while i don't post pictoral instructions on how to modify your cans (the one paid service i offer), i readily share the info when asked for it.
I ordered a powder coated pressure plate from Strati because his site was sooooo helpful. I have a local guy that could have done it quicker, but I gave Strati my business because of the amount of free information he offers. It is by far the most useful website I have found about Monsters. His website is the reason I found the DML.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thanks to Strati. I took my stock pipes and did his mod. If I had known before I bought my Arrows I would have saved alot of moola.... But, if the Arrows take a sh!t in a crash I have new set of awesome pipes ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts