Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have six battery tenders to support a range of motorcycle and mower batteries. Of these six, only one is currently functioning. It seems as though I have a battery tender virus that causes each one to work for a while and then stop. The lights go haywire and they don't keep the batteries charged.

I understand from the label on the back of the unit the meaning of the various light patterns, but some have no lights at all. Some simply blink green regardless of whether a battery is connected, regardless of the battery's condition. SOme blicnk red all of the time.

SHould I disregard the nearly universal recommendations from my friends and conclude that I am wasting my money on a junk product? What can I possibly be doing wrong? I don't believe that any of these have been cross wired, by the way.

Are there similar products out there that I should waste my money on instead?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
What brand of battery charger are you using? Are they all the "Deltran Battery Tender" products or something else?

I've got 2 Deltran Battery Tenders, and they've functioned flawlessly for years.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
are they all plugged into the same outlet or area? maybe more of a power source/outlet issue jacking up the chargers themselves? it seems unlikely that so many would go bad, regardless of brand.

i recently picked up a motocell 3amp 12v, that was a bit more expensive than some others, but is a very fast charge and had some other nice charging/float features.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
Half of our Deltran Battery tenders are not working either. We switched over to the 3amp ATI superchargers. They work on dry cell batteries whereas the Deltran Tender did not.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
dirtyfoot said:
are they all plugged into the same outlet or area? maybe more of a power source/outlet issue jacking up the chargers themselves? it seems unlikely that so many would go bad, regardless of brand.
+1 - as a guess. Did they all start failing at the same time? Could be an overloaded circuit, reversed positive and negative on the circuit, undervoltage condition, maybe a power surge fried them?

mitt

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
LT Snyder (Desmotimes) wrote that his BTs crapped out more often than he'd like, too.

Call Deltran (?) for their advice/direction...clearly, the blinking light patterns you describe aren't 'normal' and you have invested hundreds of dollars in their product.

If you suspect voltage spikes, try using a powerstrip with spike supressor/conditioner or a computer UPS.

Mine's been fine for two years - used all the time and even dropped, twice, on the concrete garage floor.

I installed a Powerlet (BMW-type) socket on the bike and a BMW-plug ($12) on the BT wires.

Also, directions say to always connect the BT to the bike/battery first and then plug unit into electrical outlet...unplug in reverse.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Huh. I'm overly abusive to* the tenders I own and use in the shop and have had a few since year 2000. I was at a trade show and Yuasa is REALLY proud of their latest products. They've got a tester and a tender that both seem pretty snazzy. (and probably $$, too)

Hmmm, but I've got to say that around the same time, I tested a bunch of different tenders and my favorite is the simple "Battery Tender Jr". It charges to the highest voltage and they withstand being dropped or dragged on the floor better than they should...

For long term storage, we put the tender on a timer circuit so every once in a while, the battery will be discharged enough to get a new charge, rather than just float all the time.

*- I'm kinda like that with most things I buy / test.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I will contact Del Tran. It seems as though something is wrong.

I have always connected them properly. As far as I know, there is no problem with my power supply. There are no large industrial user nearby in my suburban maine town who might be causing spikes. I have not had any problems with my computers that are on virtually all of the time.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sent a technical inquiry on the Deltran site. They contacted me very quickly with a follow up. They have asked that I send back my malfunctioning chargers.

I am hopeful that they will take care of me. So far I have been very favorably impressed with their response.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.