Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wat's the difference between the Battery Tender Plus and the Battery Tender Jr....The price difference is $30, but if I just buy the junior, will that suffice to keep my battery charged throughout the winter?

Is the Battery Tender good enough? What other brands are recommended?

H

·
0 Posts
I use the JR. and it works great. It's all you need for a small capacity battery. I can even go out in 10 degree temps, and the bike will start!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the "plus" has a higher charging amperage and float charges at a higher voltage, which is important for maintenance free batteries.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The charging circuitry is also different in the plus so it will take advantage of deep-cycle and AGM batteries abillity to quick charge.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay...so it seems as though the Battery Tender Jr. is fine...so why spend the extra money for the Plus? Is it b/c I could leave it untouched for a longer period of time than the Jr.? The difference is 15 bucks...What do ppl suggest? I'm just wondering b/c during the winter I park my bike away from where I live...and so I will prob not be able to access it exept maybe once a month, maybe less...if I'm waiting that long, can I leave the battery tendered for a few weeks with the Jr, or should I go with the plus? Thanks again for the help!

H

·
0 Posts
I just checked mine, and it is a plus, so disregard my testimonial of the junior... ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anything wrong with using a car charger? Wat's the major differences between the two?

H

·
0 Posts
If all you need to do is charge a battery, a car charger will work. Just set it for the lowest charge rate. If you want to maintaine a charge, then the car charger isn't the best choice.

The main differences are, charge rate, and voltage monitoring. Most car chargers charge at a higher amperage rate, about 10amps on the low setting. They should stop charging when the battery is at full charge. A battery tender charges at a modest 1-2 amps max. Much less heat. It will also turn on and off when needed, which a car charger (the garden variety) won't.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Herb,

Thanx for all the advice...I'm gonna be going home to start up the bike after like 5 weeks :(...and I'm hoping the battery will be ok...so I'll just use a car charger if not...I think I'm gonna order the Battery Tender Plus from Chaparral Sports so that I can use it next winter or whenever I'm away from my home for extended periods!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Herb,

Thanx for all the advice...I'm gonna be going home to start up the bike after like 5 weeks :(...and I'm hoping the battery will be ok...so I'll just use a car charger if not...I think I'm gonna order the Battery Tender Plus from Chaparral Sports so that I can use it next winter or whenever I'm away from my home for extended periods!
if you use a car charger, put a voltmeter across the battery. do not allow it to go over 15 volts or get too hot. it would also be a good idea to disconnect the battery from the bike. you should also be able to pick up a battery tender locally at any good bike shop. just expect to pay more $

H

·
0 Posts
I found that starting in cold weather works best WITHOUT using the fast idle lever. Just crank it over, and when it fires, (and it will)feather the throttle for a minute, then use the fast idle. I wasn't sure if it was just my bike or not, but I tried it on my buddy's 02 750S, and sure enough, it fired right up. Doesn't make sense to me, but it works.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I think that the Jr actually has higher float voltage. I tested a few of them and the one that stayed on the same battery the longest was the Jr. So I use and sell those. I had a different one that was more better and it would go to float. Then put on the Jr and it would still charge.

:) Chris

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting...So I guess the JR. is the way to go :) Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Yeah. I too was really confused about it all. I started all this back in 2001 with the aprilia RS250 race bikes. They've got little bitty YTX4 batteries that the dash would drain between races. So I started my entirely unscientific experiment. I bought a couple of the cheap ass "tenders" and to my surprise, noticed that different ones by same company would charge longer. I probably should set up a more conclusive test sometime, but the Jrs have served my garage (with 9 bikes) well over the past couple years. Now if only they could do something about carburetors gumming up. ::)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts