Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ebay M900 came with a battery tender. Seems to turn itself on and shut itself off according to battery voltage. Can i leave the bike plugged into this thing indefinitely? Or is there some risk to the battery? Also, where would i get more plugs for it? It would be nice to wire up my other bike for this.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Yes, you can leave it on. It regulates itself.

Don't know where to get more connectors, but they're a n automotive standard so they're around.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can leave it on. It regulates itself.

Don't know where to get more connectors, but they're a n automotive standard so they're around.
Cool. I figured it was ok (since it does regulate itself) but i had to ask. I guess i could always snip off the connectors and splice on my own (ones that are readily available.)

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have connectors on my commercial site. Click on it, then catalog, then ducati, then electrical. :)

Cool, Ill check it out!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Can get connectors 2 to a pack at Radio Shack.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Can get connectors 2 to a pack at Radio Shack.
The connectors that I got at the shack were relatively short. I like the longer Battery Tender brand connectors because you can put them in the right place and not have to remove seat/lift tank to plug in the tender.

--Fillmore

R

·
0 Posts
I have experimented with the battery tender for a while. You can leave it plugged in but within weeks the fluids are diminished quicker than normal.

Monitor fluid levels, don't know how this would work with maintenance free models but my sense is they would be used up quicker.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I have experimented with the battery tender for a while. You can leave it plugged in but within weeks the fluids are diminished quicker than normal.

Monitor fluid levels, don't know how this would work with maintenance free models but my sense is they would be used up quicker.
Strange. I used a 'Tender both of the past two winters (loooong New England winters, especially last winter) and have never needed to add any electrolyte.

I was lazy this time and left my battery in. With the tank topped off, I don't want to lift it to peek at the battery. :-[

T

·
0 Posts
The Battery Tender was designed for long term use(to be left on for storage).
Cycle Gear also sells BTender & equip.

·
Registered
400 Posts

You might want to check your battery or your tender. The electrolyte shouldn't diminish after a few weeks. I've had batteries on the tender for months at a time without the levels going down.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
FWIW, in "Ducati Desmodue Preventative Maintenance, Checks and Services Guide," the author has this to say about the Battery Tender. As always, YMMV:

"I used to recommend the Deltran Battery Tender Plus, but have found them deficient in providing a sustaining charge to Ducati batteries. It seems they go into a float mode before the battery is topped off."

He goes on to say that he uses a Yuasa Smartshot tender and a Battery Minder tender.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Yes. Of the ones I have tested, the "Battery Tender Jr" seems to be the most aggressive. This is expecially the case with Yuasa's sealed YTX family of batteries. The other tender that BT makes that's slightly more fancy switches to float sooner than the Jr. I'd run it, it would go to float, then I'd hook up the Jr and it would still charge for a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts