Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question maybe but I'm new to Duc ownership. Do any of you utlize a batt tender or add Stabil to their fuel? I keep my Duc in the garage as I do my other bikes. I still ride them in the winter months around here, just not as often, but also make it a point to start it up at least once a week if I don't ride. I keep the tanks full in the winter months to prevent build-up/moisture. Any other tips?

Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I use a Battery Tender year around and if you ride your bike at lease every 4 weeks or so you don't need the Stabil. I think gas has to sit for something like 3 months before it starts gumming up things. But with that said I'll probably adds some Stabil if I know my bike will sit for a month this winter. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I think you've got it, i use a tender too, just not that often as i usually get the bike out for a good ride at least once a week.

as for the stabil, you might want to just go to some seafoam instead as someone on the main board suggested. I always have a can of that stuff around and it never sits that long on the shelf. With stabil, it's a pretty specialized use so you don't end up using it a lot, the seafoam won't stay on the shelf for long...

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Like Jones I have several bikes and every single one of them has a Battery Tender plug jack wired to them. Everytime I park a bike at home I lock it up and plug in the Battery Tender, everytime. They are wonderful, I have a charger for every bike.

I also use Stabil in all my bikes. Everytime I fill them up after a ride they get an ounce or two of Stabil when I get home. I rotate my scooters so one may sit for several weeks before it's ridden, so they all have Stabil in the gas tanks for insurance. It's worse for bikes with carbs. The gas evaporates in the float bowls and leaves a coating on the jets and passageways causing the bike to not run properly on all cylinders. Ever torn down a set of carbs off an inline four? It sucks. Especially when you put it all back together and it still doesn't run right. I've done it dozens of times over the last few decades. Enough was enough... Stabil in the tank after every fill up. Of course with fuel injected bikes it's not near the problem but Stabil still helps the tank from breaking down.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've never heard of Seaform, but after reading up on it on their website it sounds like a product that would be beneficial to run through a bike once a year.

I'm definitely getting a can for my 15 year old Caddy.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Jones said:
I'm definitely getting a can for my 15 year old Caddy.
The pimp daddy mobile!!! [laugh]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.