Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow hooligans - due to the snow (damn!) I might not be riding during the next few days. What concerns me is that the forecast is for really really low, where-did-my-balls-go temperatures over the next week.
Do I need to pull my battery (and put it in the house) to keep it from cracking and spilling over? FYI, my bike is stored in an unheated garage.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I don't really have an answer to the question, but if it's any consolation, I'm leaving my bike alone, as I have until now. I doubt pulling the battery would hurt, so if you can, sure...otherwise don't sweat it. I have a Fiamm in there and I don't think twice about it.
T.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling it is an admission of defeat, which I do not like. That and it's work that isn't much fun. I might take my chances, unless anyone else chimes in with sage advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I don't actually know the freezing point of electrolyte, but whatever it is, it's not getting THAT cold here.

Think of all the cars up in Minnesota and Canada....
They use engine block heaters to keep the oil sufficiently viscous, but they don't heat their batteries.

However, I'd want it on a trickle charger if it will go unridden for more than two weeks. Got one of those?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. I had a trickle once, but it cleared right up with antibiotics and cranberry juice cocktail.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Evidently Big Brother doesn't like "c0cktail." No trickle charger, but then again, I don't go two weeks without riding anyway.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I certainly hope you don't have to go two weeks without riding, but it IS January in Mass. It could happen!

S

·
0 Posts
i really doubt you'll have any issues with the battery in low temps. as mentioned, think of the cars up in canada. no worries.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then why is that so many posts have to do with hooligans' batteries cracking and such? Is there another battery issue aside of the cold? Please bear in mind that I am but a recently reloctaed Southerner and am not used to winterizing my bikes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do. Please excuse the typos in my earlier post. I blame the moderator.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or I'll end up like this guy? :-X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts