Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some problems starting my bike recently. Every so often when I hop on for a ride I hit the starter and it doesn't want to turn over. It'll barely crank the engine over. If it doesn't start I hit the button again and I get the click, click, click of a dead battery. No electrics come on at all. But, if I turn the key off and then back on the electrics come on and the bike will fire up. Usually happens on the first start up of the day. But not every day....

Here are the particulars. Bought the bike in August. Has been riden 4 to 5 times a week since I got it with the exception of Nov, Dec, and January. But I rode it once a week during those months. Started fine all through the winter. Have been back to riding 4 to 5 times a week for a month now. Problem started about a week ago. Mostly in the mornings at first start up but has happened a couple of times after it has been riden for a while. Doesn't happen all the time. Battery?

G

·
Doesn't sound like a battery problem. Start checking all the connections, clean the connections on the battery terminals, check the battery ground to the engine block. look for any connections that have a powdery substance on them.(save the powder in a baggy, and send to Loki) Check connections at the starter solenoid, ignition switch an kill switch.

A bad battery wouldn't not start one minute, then start the next.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I didn't think it was the battery because the problem doesn't consistently happen.

What I ended up doing was making sure the fast idle switch was fully on, so the bike gets a good gas supply on start up, and it usually fires right up. I had noticed that if I didn't have the lever on enough the bike wouldn't fire up and then it was on the second try that the electrics would go out. So, I make sure the fast idle is on and it has 'cured' the problem so to speak. I mean it'll fire up but I am still puzzled by the electrics going out if the bike failed to fire. I will check all my connections.

I also noticed while riding my low fuel light would flicker from time to time. Even after filling up the tank. The FUEL message wouldn't flash but the light would flicker a little. Make any sense? The bike runs strong though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? It sounds identical to what my bike is doing, flickering gas light and all.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I actually would consider the battery... I had a triumph TT600 that started strong and ran well but had super weird problems that I thought were electrical... the lights would dim while riding, it would occasionally not start well, etc. All these problems were resolved with a new battery- even thought I had none of the classic symptoms of a dead battery.

I can't be more technical about this but I have seen very weird behavior with older batteries, even if they are reading good numbers. If you have another known good battery or need to replace yours anyway, swap it.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Not sure if this will help you, but...

I had a weird problem on my '97 m750 where no lights (anywhere) would come on when the key was in the "on" position. I could hear a click from the relay under the seat when I went to "on" but no lights, starter ...nothing.

Most of the time lights would turn on in the "park" position. Then after I took everything apart for re-jetting my carbs this weekend the switch wouldn't go to the park position at all! I took the ignition switch out and after moving the key around some it started going into all position. I think I'll graphite the lock mechanism to prevent sticking of the tumblers (I guess that's what happened!). Anyway, then I took apart the main relay I've heard many here complain about. It's under the seat near the fuse box. It's held on with a rubber band thingy and has a multi-blade connector attached. Mine was yellow. It's NOT the flasher /turn signal relay next to it. The main relay comes apart with just a small screwdriver prying the sides apart. I just cleaned the contact of the switch and everything started working like new again!! ;D

Thanks to those who had posted stuff about this relay box in previous threads!!! [thumbsup]

Anyway, maybe that might give you something else to try. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is too good, I had the same thing happen to me this morning.
The first day of the season to ride, I check, turn my inition, and I have lights. Turn it back off, and go get suited up, turn the key, nothing but that familiar click.
After many hours, a trip to a local bike shop to have the battery checked, and an ex coming to the house to help me figure out what it was that was causing many four lettered words to fly......he said it was probably the relay switch, same thing happened to him once.
Electronics cleaner, and you're good to go.
So.....just to be sure....I have spent several hours on the DML, and I think you all very much for the input.
I made sure to copy that last post into an e mail to let him know that once again, he was right......god, some days..
Thanks guys!!!!!!! I never DID get to ride, btw, by the time all was said and done, I had to FLY to work :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts