Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while I was riding. Any ideas? I mean, I don't think I'm an idiot. All the normal connections (grounds, earth, etc.) seem fine, the bike still starts and runs fine, all the electrics work. Ideas?
Dion

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the normal life of a battery? I bought this thing maybe 10 months ago, though it did sit and lose charge over the summer while I was rebuilding the bike.

How can I tell if the regulator is bad?
dion

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
a well maintained wet cell battery will last 2~5 years. further, ducatis are kind of mean to batteries, so they fall out of good health unusually quickly. the ducati regulators are not good at charging batteries, so it's best that battery tenders or other chargers "charge up" batteries, rather than rely upon the bike's charging system.

once the charge warning light comes on, i feel the RR is on it's decline, though it may last a couple more years with the light occasionally flickering. :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still sticking to my "I'm not an idiot, though my idiot light is on" theory.

Went out at lunch and the bike won't start. ::)

So, to paraphrase, Chris, I need a new battery and to perhaps hard-wire a battery tender connection as well. Is this the correct assessment. And I don't need to spring for a new regulator? Thanks, man.
Dion

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
you can try life without the new regulator, but i still think it's on the downward spiral. regardless of the regulator's health, you're going to need new battery + tender anyhow. AND if you DO need a new RR, best to have the fresh battery before hand.

when you get the new battery (And tender) be sure to charge it nice and slow for a couple days. you need a good initial charge. this seems to make huge difference. more so with the sealed batteries on newer bikes.

:) chris

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to follow up on this, it was neither the battery nor the regulator nor the stator. Tracked back through the main wiring harness with a voltage meter and found ...

the main charging fuse (the big-arse one next to the airbox) was bad. It actually looked OK, but on further inspection had broken free side to side.

Just something else to check if anyone has charging issues.
Dion

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I had battery/starting problems this morning...

hadn't ridden in almost 4 days, bike sitting in garage, outside temp was in the high 40's low 50's.

This morning it cranked over slowly, then stopped.. just a 'click, click' of the relay on subsequent attempts...

hooked it up to a battery charger with a "start" function, and fired right up... went on a 45 minute ride before going to work..

I'm hoping it got enough charge tol start up at lunchtime...

Battery tender is looking like a good idea right about now.

Has anyone else experienced this? (weak/no starting due to battery, not other issues like the fuse...). I searched the archives and couldn't find much info on this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts