Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My monster won't start up; battery's dead. I used to have a motorcycle battery charger but I can't find it. I did find, however, a charger for car battery's. Is this no good? Can I use it or not? Also, what is the voltage and amps of a motorcycle battery?

Thanks [smiley=help.gif]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
your bike battery is 12 volts, but probably only about 12 amp hours. recommended charging rate for your battery would be about 1.2 amps (assuming it's a 12 amp hour battery), and it is unlikely your car battery charger could charge at such a low rate. if your car charger can charge at less than 10 amps, you can use it if you monitor charging voltage and battery temperature (less thn 15 volts, battery not hot to the touch or excessively gassing). if the battery is half dead, 6 amps for one hour. not the best for your battery, though. if your battery is origional, it's probably not a bad idea to think about replacing it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Wouldnt be surprised if your battery was dead at 13k. Time for a new one. You can always try and charge it (you can go get a cycle battery charger for about $30) but if it wont hold a charge of more than 12.5 its a gonner.

T

·
0 Posts
Howie's right....about 10% of the Ah rating is all the charge rate you should subject a battery to.....and your average run of the mill automotive charger is too strong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts