Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to 'canyon scratch' here in Northern CA. and as I was getting close to home my battery decided it was just too hot! Now, I have read other messages about this happening, and I'll get to the why it happened some other time, but what do I do now? Battery acid spewed just about everywhere on the frame/engine. Any suggestions on how to deal with this mess? Haven't actually looked at the total damage yet-still drinking beer and mourning!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Put the beer down and make up a baking soda/water mixture and clean that mess up first, so as to minimize any damage. Then you can get about the mourning process.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
baking soda all around, then the afternoon in the parts washer to see what can be salvaged -

what bike is it? what battery? any specifics?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Same thing happened to me. It's probably too late to head off any damage. My entire frame and engine cases were ruined. My bike is in pieces right now, being powdercoated.
Dion

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, today I decided to put the beer down and take a look at the aftermath..you're right, not much to salvage. So, looking on the bright side, how 'bout a red frame on a silver '99 900 monster?
Any other color combos out there? How pricey am I looking at to powdercoat the frame and 'most' of the engine? Looks like a winter job is in the works!! (o.k...now more beer)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rather than add to the 21+ pages of the official battery thread, what does the leaking battery and fluid look like? Clear, colored, foamy and where from? I've been checking mine ('02 750) often and still bone dry on the battery and its holder.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
the acid is clear - like water, it does not evaporate. a little leak will appear like condensate gathered on the battery and in the tray, once it gets to the bolts in the tray or through the tray open bottom onto the head it reacts instantly with the steel and you'll know immediately, but of course by then it's too late :p

-m

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'm going with the battery mat for now and then a new battery rather than take chances.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have a 2001 S4, the battery has been replaced with a dry cell Yuasa. Should I be fine now or will the rear cyclinder still heat up the battery to where it blows?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
A Yuasa YT12B-BS, right?

I think we're all experimenting right now, seeing if they'll hold up.
So many of the GS batteries have leaked or popped, that it's just not smart (IMO) to leave one of them in.

The Yuasa tech people are comfortable with our application, so it seems like the best option right now. The Odyssey batteries are probably more rugged, but they don't make a battery small enough to fit in the stock location on an S4. I don't think one would fit on the '02 and later Air-Coolers, but I don't have one of those, so I can't say for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts