Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak at the base gasket of my 01' M750, it's in the shop now. I just heard that you should NOT use the same part in the replacement, but rather, use the gasket off a 750ss because it is Metal and has the correct sized passage hole.

Has anyone else done this to their bike? I'd like to call my shop and tell them about the 750ss gasket, but I want to make sure it's legit before I do it.

Thanks
ERic

·
Registered
827 Posts
This was posted a little while ago but I was hoping to still get an answer since I have the same 01 m750 and am planning to change the base gasket myself this weekend.

·
Registered
555 Posts
both base gaskets are metal. some of the problems were from a newer gasket that didn't seal the feed hole to the vertical head. if you lift the vert cyl. on the right rear side you will see a small oil hole. in the old days there was a counter sunk hole here with an o-ring to help seal it. at some point ducati decided they didn't need the o-ring anymore.

if you just change the base gasket be sure not to block off this hole with sealer as the lack of oil would be bad. a good machinist can make you a countersunk hole in the bottom of your cylinder for an o-ring. in that case I would use the older base gasket,and o-ring. don't go too deep with the o-ring pocket you want the o-ring to seal the two togeather.
good luck

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
when they first deleted the o ring they used hard red sealer that leaked. then they used the grey sealer that tended not to. then they put a dowel in the cases and recessed the cylinder so the grey goop flowed up into the recess and formed a goop o ring.

which would have to be more expensive than the original recess and o ring i'd think.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have an oil leak at the base of the vertical cylinder Its small. Every few rides I see a small puddle of oil on the top of the trany. Is this the same thing that you are talking about? How bad is it to just leave it be? Or should I get it fixed now? It just started to leak one day last summer. I have not been on the bike much since then.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
ducrider45,

what year and model do you have?

My S4 had the base gasket leak. It very slowly got worse over time.
I plugged the oil gallery in the crankcase. That solution won't work for every Duc, as some of the air-cooled motors used that oil gallery to supply oil to the head.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
all 2v use the oil feed to the heads. all 4v have external and you can plug the hole. they use the same basic machined case for 900/944 2v and 916 (s4, st4) 4v.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts