Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 620 Dark and I only have 2500 miles on it when this weekend a Base Gasket went and oil started leaking. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this? It happens to be still under warranty so I don't have to pay out the expense but I was wondering if this is a common thing with 620's.

M

·
0 Posts
sounds like a warranty repair item to me.... only thing it should cost you is the down time to get it repaired.

i know the S4 has an established history of a leak caused by the pressure of an open oil galley that finally blows out the gasket. there's a memo out about it at the dealerships, they simply plug the galley and replace the gasket. not 100% sure but i think 620 owners have experienced a similar issue also.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
vertical cylinder? my '01 750 had a base gasket leak. just enough to make things yukky, so i waited till winter for the warranty repair. been dry since. the galley plug is an s4 issue.

you could also have a leaking breather that deposits oil in the same place.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
sometime in '00-01 Ducati changed the base gasket design and omitted the "O" rings. since this change, some bikes have had this leak, usually at extremely low mileage.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
2001 M750d here and I had the base gasket leak at around 5000km

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My S4 started leaking at about 1500 mi, rear cylinder base gasket.

That was a really good redesign on the base gasket. :mad:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Happened twice to my 02 dark. Just before the 600 mile and then again about 1500. Duc will fix it under warrenty. Mine was on the vertical head by the way. Here in Oregon they sent my head out to be milled so an older base gasket from previous year model would fit. Ever since then it hasn't leaked. You may just want to ask for this the first time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am going to change base gasket on my m600 01 this month.It has 7xxxmiles-no waranty.sure on vertical cylinder.

·
Registered
223 Posts
hey kim, i had the same problem less than a month after i bought my bike last august (with less than 500 miles on it!). fortunately it was only a small leak and i didn't need to get it fixed until the end of the riding season.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... at first I thought the title was "Basket Case"... then did a double-take.

We had a discussion of this before... Seems like there were 2 consecutive years (yours is probably one of those years) where it leaks. Discussion was done over dinner during the annual SFBMHA dinner outing recently. It seems that the gasket is the wrong one. You'll have to get the ST2 gasket to fit on that one. It's a warranty issue so don't go out and buy it on your own. It's a factory mis-match.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Inoticed this weekend that my H base gasket is leaking again (2001 M750d)! So I had it fixed once at 5,000km and now a year later it is leaking at 10,000km. So it looks like they just send the dealer the same defective gaskets to do the repair with. The kicker is now the bike is out of warranty, I will see if they will do anything.

The first time I had the leak it continued to get worse as time went on (started as a small leak and in a matter of 2 months became a serious leak). So keep an eye on it if you plan on waiting it out until winter. Maybe these model years should just be avoided?? Maybe the gasket should be changed with every oil change!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Looks like this could be the next exploding battery thread.... How many others have had leaks, and what years/models? This sounds like it should have been a recall, and when they are fixed it should be corrected for the long term.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I will let you know if they approve mine, as I said it was fixed under warranty once already, now it is out and needs to be fixed again! Obviously the amount of damage does not compare (leaky batteries), but my leak last time got so bad it had to be fixed, so if DNA does not fix it I will have to at my expense (and I am sure it will cost mucho $$$). On top of that, will I need to fix it again next year, the year after that.... I will if they put the same gasket in again, this should be a recall??

Z

·
0 Posts
I've got my 02' 620 since April, and at about 2500 mine has a important leak problem also (vertical cylinder) The Bike is at Competition Acessories, Springfield OH, I'm waiting about news from the guys over there...

Check also my other topic about hard shif problem...

Thanks

Jay

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
My 02 M750 with 213 miles sprung a leak it is in the shop right now they are milling the jug to accept a o-ring like the older jugs. My question is the problem the gasket or the lack of the o-ring on the jug?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would have to go with the lack of o-ring. They did the same with my 02' 620ie and it has not leaked since. I have put lots of hard miles on her as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts