Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my Mickey Mouses and I'm wondering how much bar ends might interfere with splitting lanes. Although the lanes are wide enough on the freeway that it wouldn't make much of a difference, I ride my bike in some pretty tight places downtown, and really value my ability to squeeze between the big trucks and SUV's.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks.

G

·
I've got bar end mirrors (the cheaper $30.00 Japanese type) and they work great. For splitting they quickly just fold down, in and out of the way. The rest of the time they allow a vastly improved view to the rear to better spot trouble.

·
Registered
849 Posts
They're not great for lane splitting, but it can be done. Freeways are fine because you have a lot of room, downtown traffic is a bit of a pain with them. Still not as bad as an XR650 with barkbusters... 8)

If you do hit a car mirror by accident (happened to me once cos I switched from a sportbike and kinda forgot how wide the Monster was), they're very unlikely to cause damage because they're very light and easily fold out of the way.

I don't like to fold them in for lane splitting because I like to see what's going on behind me at all times. They do offer decent visibility to the rear, albeit a bit shakey....

-R.

PS: Trucks and SUVs won't be much of a problem - the barends will fit underneath their mirrors. Civics and other low-slung sedans are (for once) your enemy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They fold in....interesting. Okay, that changes things a bit. But I'm still a little nervous about the idea of sacrificing my mirrors completely when riding in downtown traffic.

I like to squeeze through some really tight spots- it saves tons of time being able to get to the front of the pack at every light.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Those are similar to what I'm running right now. Better than the Mickey Mouse ears, but I'm not too crazy about the techno look. Whatever floats your boat, but now SUV and truck mirrors are gonna be in your way again :D At least these make it a bit easier to judge if you're gonna make it through compared to the barends.

Since I'm mostly using the much narrower R6 in traffic and have figured out a way to turn the Cycle Cat bar end sliders to accept the CRG mirrors, I will revert to the barend mirrors for the Monster myself. Only for looks, though.

-R.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
if you are worried about running with 2 bar end mirrors and hitting vehicles, just use one (if your state laws allow it). I used to run only with a L-hand bar end mirror.

I rfecentlly switched to Monstrack mirrors and love them!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I had two third-eye bar end mirrors on my stock Monster bars for several years. They stick out at least three inches. I never considered it a problem for splitting traffic, whether up to a stop light, on the freeway, or anywhere else there are multiple lanes of cars moving too slowly. If you can't fit between the cars with the bar ends, it's probably too tight anyway.

Now I'm trying to learn how to split with big old ST2 saddlebags. They stick out a lot more than bar end mirrors, so I need wider gaps. 8)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I never considered it a problem for splitting traffic, whether up to a stop light, ....
Try Hollywood on a Friday or Saturday night - drunk drivers, super-narrow streets. ;D I used to be a bartender and had to do that sh*t EVERY WEEK :-/ Took me an hour to get to work in my car, twenty minutes on the bike.

-R.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Viking, you go it right, man.

I live in Hollywood and I frequently use my bike the same way. I'm learning to become very comfortable with its dimensions so that I can slip myself through the narrowest spots. It really does save a ton of time, and if you are careful about it- as you should be- it'll be a quick, fun trip.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I *HAVE* one of those!!! (BLindsite mirror) but it's currently not installed on my bike... I have Monstrack mirrors on right now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I'm really liking those Monstrack mirrors. Now I just have to figure out a way to justify paying for them.

Daffe- do you have the short or long ones? Care to comment on likes/ dislikes?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Yeah, I'm really liking those Monstrack mirrors. Now I just have to figure out a way to justify paying for them.

Daffe- do you have the short or long ones? Care to comment on likes/ dislikes?
I have the short version... the field of view is better than most of what's out there. The exception is a convex mirror, which allows a wider field but at the expense of distorting all objects so they appear further away than they actually are.

My mirrors are flipped as well (the long base is on top and the short base is on the bottom)... basically put the R-mirror on the L-arm and vice versa. They are very well made and are high quality. The threads are stainless so you won't have problems of the mirror breaking (I had a pair of Roadracing mirrors... the whole stem is aluminum - ended up breaking when i torqued the nut down on it tighter to prevent the mirror from vibrating). There's a write up on the Product Review page here as well as on the monstrack website.

if you have other questions, let me know!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Daffe!

I've read the review on this site (I think the review on the Monstrack site is actually the same one) but I always like to hear different opinions. So far, nothing but positive. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
no problem! The reviews are the same, btw. I visited the "shop" where the mirrors are made (and also where the new Monstrack back-rest was designed/made)... look for that item soon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts