Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install some bar end mirrors on my 99 M900 last night. When I took off the bar end and then pulled out the well nut, this is what I saw: (That hole you see is maybe a 1/2" in diameter, the nut for the bar end mirror wouldn't even fit in there)

Are these the standard stock bars, did a previous owner install something else in these bars? ???

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
yep, those are aluminum bars, i'm pretty sure that they didn't come with the bike. My '01 originally had the steel(?) handlebars and when i bent them the shop gave me aluminum bars and said that they came on all the newer bikes.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
My 1997 M900 came with the bars with smaller diameter openings in the end. There was a bar recall and the replacement bar had the larger opening. They could be original bars.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
yeah, the mirrors won't work. same thing happened to me when i bought new bar ends. i didn't know that the inner diameter to the handlebars were different. oh well, i found another use for them anyways when i chopped my tail by using them as fame plugs :p

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
that looks like the magura bar on the S4R. i bought the
CRG mirror mounts and they work great. might be
something to look into.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Quacker:

I have those exact same bars on my Monster.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You have no reason to fret. The end of those bars are only that way for about 1" into the bar. You can drill that piece out with no problems what so ever. They look like basic dirtbike bars which have this piece to add weight to the end of the bar. Look at you picture and you will see a seem. If the bars where long enough you would be able to cut them down to get rid of this piece, but that doesn't look like an option for you.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have those same bars. I used Emgo mirrors and cut the tab off the post that goes inside the bars. Made them fit, but the mirrors are not so great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same bars on my '96 M900. I bought Napolean bar end mirrors and they would not fit. I sent the Napolean mirros back and bought 3rd eye mirrors. I had to use a wire wheel on a bench grinder to shave down the smaller shims on the 3rd eye mirrors to fit. I also had to grind down the nut corners to fit in the bar. I could have modified the Napolean mirrors to fit, but I did not want to ruin $60 mirrors. If you screw up the cheap 3rd eye mirrors it's no big deal.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to use a wire wheel on a bench grinder to shave down the smaller shims on the 3rd eye mirrors to fit. I also had to grind down the nut corners to fit in the bar.
So you actually ground down the rubber grommet pcs? I may try that idea first before I plunk down the $$$$$ for CRG mirrors. I'll risk the $12 for save $160 :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used a bench grinder with a wire wheel, but you could use a razor blade and carefully shave down the rubber grommets to fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts