Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some input from you fellow riders, to help me pick out an appropriate next ride.

I started riding this year in May. took the safety course, bought a 250 ninja. the bike was good but it buzzed something awfull. i also felt that it was not powerful enough to get me out of a jam. I have put 2,500 miles on the ninja. next bike, bandit 600. smooth, but still a buzz at highway speeds, annoying but can live with. I have put 2,500 miles so far on the bandit. last month in Florida, rented a h-d road king, put 500 miles on in two days. lots of fun, no buzz, just throbbing vibration, can deal with it.

I feel i have enough confidence in my skills and experience to step up and get a larger bike. I drive with caution, im in for the long haul, not to be driven over by a long hauler :eek:.

last weekend i was at the toronto m/c show and saw, sat on and felt the 800 monster, felt good. i also, saw the 1000, but stupit me i didn't sit on it., I'm guessing the riding position and ergonomics are the same???

I'm 5:10, 190lbs, 39 years old. i like to ride, looking for a good looking comfy bike that i tool around on, some hyway, some city riding.

my wish list:
monster 1000
monster 800
yamaha fz1
yamaha st1300
kawasaki z1000
kawasaki mean streak 1600
h/d electra glide standard
bmw r1150rt

main point is comfort, no buzzyness, ride all day. I'm on the edge of saying sport-tourer, but a close alternative is cool 8).

now that i've put some thoughts down, your opinions are welcomed.

have a good, safe, fun ride today!

Johnny

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Both size of Monsters should fit you exactly the same. The only other one on your list that I would consider is the FZ1.

If you're really leaning towards sport touring, you should consider the Ducati Multistrada. It's not the top of any one class, but for a good all around bike that you can tour on it does everything very well.

I've never enjoyed the Monster for more than a 200 mile day. Rides in the 150 mile range are excellent, though.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I will second the 200 mile day. It can get uncomfortable- I get lower back pain after 150 or so. Not too mention I walk like a cowboy with jock itch afterwards. When you say ride all day, do you mean cruisin the superslab, or hitting the twisties? We can make a pretty good day out of a 200 mile ride. Start early, make some stops for gas/lunch/relaxing.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... also depends on your height/weight... I weigh 100 lbs and have no problems being on the monster for 3 hrs straight of twisties. After about 400 mi. though I need to stop to take a break.

S

·
0 Posts
... also depends on your height/weight... I weigh 100 lbs and have no problems being on the monster for 3 hrs straight of twisties. After about 400 mi. though I need to stop to take a break.
You can ride 400 miles without a break? You must have balls of steel!

S

·
0 Posts
For your next ride go for the M800, the riding position and the ergonomics are the same as the M1000. You will look good and have a comfy ride. Get the standard handlebar fairing and the hard luggage and you will have a sports tourer too. The small standard handlebar fairing works very well at high speed.
Good luck mate.

Slim

R

·
0 Posts
It sounds like you may be happier with a 4 cyc like the FZ1. Maybe twins just arent your bag. I would wait until you get a chance to demo anything else before buying again. In the spring many shops will have demo rides.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Im guessing that when you say "yamaha st1300" you are talking about the fjr, they are great bikes, fun in the canyons and you could ride cross country on one. They are also faster than most of the nakid bikes you are considering. All that said I would not be caught dead on a sport touring bike. I like to ride like I am still 18 and they just scream "old man" to me.
The mean streak is slow and the harley is a pig. Have you thought about honda's VTX if you want a cruiser? Comparing all these bikes is alot to ask, pick a class and then go from there.
Nakid sport bike
Cruiser
Sport touring
Adventure touring
Super Sport bike
If its a nakid sport bike you want, I say the Z1000 but they are brand new and there is not much info on them yet.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
actually he is in fact a superhero. Check out this pic I found of him.
Ite obvious in the pic why he can ride the 400 miles and not hate it. Look closely, he has no balls ;)

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts