Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no, not that kind Krolick. ;D

3 week old battery, bike hasn't been ridden in a week, and now said battery is dead

balls, i say, balls

was it the cold snap? this is the second time my battery has basically given me the finger. any of you hooligans have tricks to prevent my batteries from dying so fast? maybe my bike just hates me

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
onetoomanyticket said:
no, not that kind Krolick. ;D

3 week old battery, bike hasn't been ridden in a week, and now said battery is dead

balls, i say, balls

was it the cold snap? this is the second time my battery has basically given me the finger. any of you hooligans have tricks to prevent my batteries from dying so fast? maybe my bike just hates me
You got yourself some voltage loss somewhere in the system.
Battery tenders do wonders, but there is something wrong.
Did you charge the battery all the way up before you used it?
If you have a charger, you can probably charge it all the way up and use it for a year or so,
find the draw though.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
toolfan said:
You got yourself some voltage loss somewhere in the system.
find the draw though.
how could the bike be losing power if its just sitting there? i fully believe you're right, i just cant see what could be putting a drain on the battery if its not being used. there is a blinking yellow light, part of the immobilizer, right?

orrrrr is it that the battery wasnt/isnt recharging when in use? is that where the leak could be?

i r confused

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I'm not sure what it could be. Have you wired anything in?
I used to leave my heated grips on all the time and would kill my battery with that,
but then I put them on a relay, much better.

What kind of battery is it, and how did you charge it initially?
If it had a low initial charge, the immobilizer might be enough to kill it.

Oh- check the battery terminal connections too,
and the connections on the other end,
if those are loose it could either
a) not give enough current to start
or b) not allow proper charging
or maybe both.

What I would do is charge it up,
put it in, start the bike, check the voltage at the battery, should be more than 13 I think.
Turn off the bike, check the voltage at the battery (wait about a minute) should be about 12.8v
Check the voltage at the battery the next day (should still be 12.8)
That'll give you a little bit of an idea of what's going on/not going on.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
toolfan said:
What I would do is charge it up,
put it in, start the bike, check the voltage at the battery, should be more than 13 I think.
Turn off the bike, check the voltage at the battery (wait about a minute) should be about 12.8v
Check the voltage at the battery the next day (should still be 12.8)
That'll give you a little bit of an idea of what's going on/not going on.
Do it! And if you have a power loss try disconnecting the battery terminal when you ain't ridn' id to see.

My bat. is about 3+ years old now and it sometimes gives me the finger when it is cold out (2 times now :'().... so I have to disconnect the head light start it, reconnect the headlight and hope I don't stall out on my way to school... or charge it up for a little while.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Desmosome, go buy a new battery. The Battery Exchange right in your neighborhood, SE 20th & Belmont, they had a sealed one for my '01 in stock.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
methinks i found the leak!

so i got the bike started, to just go for a ride and see if the battery would hold some charge at all, and i parked it on nw23rd to run in and grab some smokes, figuring that the battery would have enough charge to get her started and home. when i got out it wouldnt start. so before i called AAA, (and after i had the requiste freak out) i tried starting it while jiggling the starter relay, and she started like a freaking champ. when i took it into MotoCorsa last time, i told them it might be the starter relay but they told me it was just a dead battery. im thinking i might clean the connections on the relay and see where that gets me before taking it back to the shiny happy (but extremely expensive) place.

thanks for all your guys's advice.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
It is likely actually the connection of the wire from the solenoid to the starter.
It's got a little rubber boot, but it gets crap in there pretty easy and corrodes.
Take that off, clean it up, put it back on, the put a bunch of dielectric grease in there and it should be good for a while.

hey, Jon, you should do the same thing. Maybe that's providing just enough extra resistance to cause your problems.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
toolfan said:
It is likely actually the connection of the wire from the solenoid to the starter.
It's got a little rubber boot, but it gets crap in there pretty easy and corrodes.
Take that off, clean it up, put it back on, the put a bunch of dielectric grease in there and it should be good for a while.

hey, Jon, you should do the same thing. Maybe that's providing just enough extra resistance to cause your problems.
Jeff @ MC mentioned that when he did my 18k, he said he fixed it a bit (rode grime etc.).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cant you just jump start it if its dead. What I mean is push it and throw it in second. I'm not saying its good for it but if your in a bind, Won't that work???

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
kaiser552 said:
Cant you just jump start it if its dead. What I mean is push it and throw it in second. I'm not saying its good for it but if your in a bind, Won't that work???
I don't think you can push start a monster

I've never tried but I think they have coil packs which would make it impossible

·
Registered
454 Posts
is jump starting especially bad?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
CliveS2R said:
is jump starting especially bad?
it just tears up your battery

but

if it is already shot

who cares

jump it

and buy a new battery when you can

They're only like 60 bucks

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Is it the jump starting, or the discharging that's bad for the battery?

I've never heard that jump starting is bad for the batt.

·
Registered
454 Posts
my 88 katana was pretty much a jumpstart bike...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
toolfan said:
Is it the jump starting, or the discharging that's bad for the battery?

I've never heard that jump starting is bad for the batt.
huh

I've always been told it is bad for the battery

but

I can't come up with a logical reason why

In theory

when you jump start, you are essentially bypassing the battery and using the other vehicles

when the engine starts the only thing going into the battery is the standard charge from the vehicles own charging system

it would seem that it is a myth

just like concrete floors make a battery go dead

and flies come from meat

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mother said:
I don't think you can push start a monster

I've never tried but I think they have coil packs which would make it impossible
oh, it is quite possible. when my battery went dead before, thats all i could do to get the bike started.

its a bitch and a half, and tears up the rear wheel (when you arent trying to start it when you let the clutch out it just locks up the rear wheel and you skid). motocorsa thought i had been doing a lot of burnouts. you need a lot of flat space to get up enough speed to get it started, and by the time i would get it started, i would be coated in sweat.

and motocorsa charges ~$100 for a new battery.

im really confused now what my bike is doing. i cleaned up the connection between the starter motor and the relay, and the realy and the battery. what im getting now is a 'click-click-click-cachuga-cachuga-vaROOM' when it finally does decided to kick over. when my battery went dead, i would just get the click for as long as i tried to start it. sometimes it starts. sometimes it just sits there and gives me that 'are you really trying?' look.

i want a trackbike

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
CliveS2R said:
my 88 katana was pretty much a jumpstart bike...
So ws my 87 Hurricane. Inline fours are alot easier to push start than twins.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
desmosome said:
A bump start only trackbike? :D
i hear most motogp bikes are bump start only, i wouldnt mind one of those.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts