Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have good experiences with certain brands w/ o-rings on monsters? What size do they use by the way, 530?

The damn the exploded when taking going through an intersection.. good thing a gas station was rite there and i just coasted in. Nothing else appears to have been messed up thankfully. I just hope the gas station doesnt have the bike towed since its sitting in their parking lot and no bikeshops are open today to buy a chain. :)

-mike

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just thank god it happened at low speed. A chain problem at high speed will likely cause a crash or at the verty least destroyed cases.

G

·
eeek...what manufacturer chain? at how many miles? did you wax it regularly? are you a tire-smoking, wheely addict?

sorry to hear...glad it was a low-speed incident

·
Registered
76 Posts
You know, I had the original chain which was fanatically maintained & adjusted explode at 10,000 mi...

Granted, I had plenty of warning, but was in denial that it could fail so soon....still my fault - but it was certainly a drag. Happened at 75mph, no crash..hugger went away, ding in the frame, nice chunk out of the case, but nothing fatal. Lucky!

I'm sticking with the same DID X-Ring 520, as it was all available at the mo. I'll just get used to replacing them every season..riding through floods & mudbaths probably doesn't help, but I gotta be me...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... so how much mileage do you people log on the chain before replacing it? (or do you just look at the sprockets and see if the sprocket is worn before replacing both?)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Anyone have good experiences with certain brands w/ o-rings on monsters? What size do they use by the way, 530?
hi Mike, most ducatis have 520 chains.

these dont: 916,996,998,999, ST4, MS4, 1000DS.

i really like the DiD VM520 chains. with care every 300~500 miles, they should last around 12,000~15,000 miles. i change the chain when it has lots of kinked links.

:) chris

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
planning on using the "use the spent motor-oil on a rag to clean the chain first" bit, then wipe off the excess, then go over with chain wax. thinking of trying the chain-wax "cleaning" step (chain wax on the rag first) bit before I use the oil-bit.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Right after he posted it, I switched to Chris K's method of cleaning with the chain wax and wiping clean with the rag used to catch the overspray - turning the rag frequently.

Since adopting his method, the chain always looks clean and I am doing less work because there is absolutely no sling off onto the wheel any more.

Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The damn the exploded when taking going through an intersection..
Hey there, Mike
So sorry to hear this happened to you. Pretty frightening, I'm sure... but I'm glad it didn't turn out worse for you which it obviously otherwise could have.

Out of curiousity, how many teeth were you running up front on the drive sprocket (countershaft)? I went down one for easier take-offs but this may be causing some additional chain wear that I may now want to reconsider!

Good luck and best regards,
Christian

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I went down one for easier take-offs but this may be causing some additional chain wear that I may now want to reconsider! Good luck and best regards, Christian
hi Christian, the smallest front sprockets i have seen on ducatis are 14t. these are plenty reliable. do not have concern. :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've got about 10K miles on my DID VM, excellent chain. So far no serious tight spots. I use Bell Ray chain lube, excellent stuff for not attracting dirt while at the same time being fling resistant. I use a chain cleaner once in a while. You can spray it right on the chain and hose it off to dissolve all the old lube. It's o-ring friendly. Do NOT spray the chain with a pressure washer. My previous Regina chain did not last very long, but in the past I was not so judicious with chain maint.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Are you guys really flinging master link clips? I've been using clip masters on road and dirt bikes for years and I don't think that I've ever lost a clip.

I have used a little silicone under the clip in the past, but I'm not sure that I believe that it does much.

Daffe, where do you safety wire a clip master where it doesn't get eaten by a sprocket.

--Fillmore

1 - 20 of 24 Posts