Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm looking for the baggage to travel with my girlfriend.

So if it will be possible that anyone give me the advices to travel in duo, and how transport the baggage in our Ducati Monster 1200.

Thank you!!!;);)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I forget to say that is de Monster 1200 2019. And I think that are not a long trips, more or less 300 o 400 km.

I don´t have preference about hard or soft luggage, I want that me and my girlfriend can travel with our baggage in a confortable form. Is for that, backpack is not an option.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is more general advice, as I just bought a Monster 1200, but I’ll draw on my experience with previous bikes on long and short trips with soft and hard luggage. Soft bags can be handy if they are portable. I had a soft bag setup that was not model specific and it had two side bags and a top bag with a handle that were all attached. When I would stop for the night, I would take the straps off that attached the bags to my motorcycle and carry the whole apparatus into my hotel room. The downside to soft bags is that they don’t lock and if there are not brackets for them, they can rub the paint on your bike. Hard bags have the advantage of being lockable, easily attached and detached are usually waterproof. The downside is they tend to be expensive. But if you stop at an unfamiliar gas station and just need to go inside for a minute, they provide you with good piece of mind. The way around that with soft bags is to keep clothing and non valuable items in the bags and to keep valuables in a small backpack or tank bag that you can take in with you. I did this on a 7400mi road trip and it worked well.
Hopefully others can chime in with advice on actual models of luggage to try. I’m curious about this too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fitted a Ventura System rack to my 2008 S4RS Tricolore. I like that I can leave just the hand bar in place or fit the small or large frame depending on my needs. I use the small rack with a little day pack to hold items for a short day ride. I can fit the taller rack and carry a large soft bag for anything needing more capacity. I know the Ventura is not the sleekest thing around but it keeps me from needing to wear a backpack or risk strapping something that can damage the paint.

Eric

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hard luggage is probably the best, and costs like it.
Lockable yes, but how hard is it to break into a plastic box?
So maybe don't leave it on the bike overnight outside that motel.

Soft luggage is relatively cheap. Can be generic, or universal.
You just need to make sure it fits your bike with passenger if applicable.
Then secure those saddle bags some way so it does not move around and get on the hot exhaust pipe and burn your extra undies. I hate when that happens. :cautious:
Hint, bungee cords may not be the best thing as they stretch a lot.

You also can do tank bags and tail bags, but might need a luggage rack for a tail bag.
At which point get a box. A trunk. I run one all the time to carry my phone and water, etc.

You can use clear vinyl stick on shelf liner to protect you plastic body work from the bags.

I have a bunch of bags I don't use that need a new home if anyone is interested.
Next stop for them is Salvation Army donation box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fitted a Ventura System rack to my 2008 S4RS Tricolore. I like that I can leave just the hand bar in place or fit the small or large frame depending on my needs. I use the small rack with a little day pack to hold items for a short day ride. I can fit the taller rack and carry a large soft bag for anything needing more capacity. I know the Ventura is not the sleekest thing around but it keeps me from needing to wear a backpack or risk strapping something that can damage the paint.

Eric
I have just seen the Ventura System Rack, it will be a posible option. But my doubt y when I ride witch my girl if I put a mini rack or rack with a bag, The exchange of weight in the back of the motorcycle will not be very abrupt.?.
Also I see a mini rack of the brand Hepc Backer, and I have the same doubt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually tour on my 2017 Monster 1200S. The hard bag set up I use is the Hepco & Becker C Bow System. It works great! The downside is the hard bars do not carry a lot, but with careful packing you can get a weeks worth of clothes etc. in them. the bags lock and are easy to put on/remove. AND they are not obtrusive at all! (meaning they do not stick out very much so splitting lanes is a breeze...) I've also added a Ducati Performance Tank Bag and that also was a great option for touring/carrying stuff on trips!

tach9

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually tour on my 2017 Monster 1200S. The hard bag set up I use is the Hepco & Becker C Bow System. It works great! The downside is the hard bars do not carry a lot, but with careful packing you can get a weeks worth of clothes etc. in them. the bags lock and are easy to put on/remove. AND they are not obtrusive at all! (meaning they do not stick out very much so splitting lanes is a breeze...) I've also added a Ducati Performance Tank Bag and that also was a great option for touring/carrying stuff on trips!

tach9
Yes, I saw this type of bag and I like them.
Do you travel alone or in two?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts