Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 weeks ago I took my bike into my local Ducati dealer. I got it back Saturday. The bike went in for its 6k service plus it was leaking oil ontop the engine (head-cylinder gasket). This was my "free" 6k maintenance and the bike is still under warrenty.

pre-ride inspection everything seemed ok. I rode it home from the service and found a few problems when I parked in the garage.

(1) improperly blead clutch - popping during clutch relase a few minutes into the ride.
(2) chain slack at around 38.5mm (instead of 20-25mm)
(3) the head-cylinder gasket leak is even worse now - oil all over the place - including rear wheel and pooling under the bike. I looked at the new gasket - is it normal to use some kind of white silicone looking stuff to help seal the gasket?

They said the adjusted the valves and performed the normal 6k maintenance. I'm quite pissed at this point! I'm not sure if I should allow them to make it "better" or take it to another Ducati dealer.

Also, is there a list of what gets done at your 6k maintenance? This is a 2001 monster 750 dark. Just my luck, I had planned to take the bike to North Carolina next weekend (leaving Thrusday) for some nice riding with friends.

Any thoughts / opinions?

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Re: bad service experience & questions / opini

As a service manager (for a car shop), I would at least appreciate it if these items were brought to my attention and given the chance to make it right. I believe that we are all human and therefore are all prone to make mistakes, but how we rectify those mistakes is what separates us from the rest.

I would call the dealership and calmly ask what was done, in detail, to the bike regarding the 6k service and the oil leak, and then ask why certain things weren't done (such as the chain tension, and a test ride to confirm that the engine wasn't leaking anymore). At tis point anyone worth dealing with again would ask, not demand, that you bring the bike back in for IMMEDIATE rectification of the problems. Keep in mind that the Service Mgr. might not even know that he has a problem with a tech not doing the job right. Whatever you do, don't call them up and tell them that you're never coming back or that they wouldn't know what a wrench was if were stuck up thier a$$. Just remember to remain calm no matter what he says, if he acts like a horses a$$, go to another dealership and ask for the regional service mgrs. cell phone#, then call and complain in a rational manner (remember, you're not a dick, the dealership employee was). ;D

G

·

According to my 6000 mile certificate, the service should include:
Replace spark plugs
Check cylinder compression
Check/adjust steering head bearings
replace air filter
check/adjust valve clearances
Check rear wheel cush drice
Check brake pads
Check/adjust timing belt tension
throttle body synch/ idle adjust
Proper operation of radiator fan, if equipped
replace fuel filter
Chain tension and lube
replace oil/filter
Check tires
Road test

·
Registered
374 Posts

That many mistakes made on one bike is unexceptable. You should call DNA and complain to them, then call you dealer and discuss it with the top boss. After that never take your bussiness to them again.

Just my .02/

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

DNA will send you a nice letter back saying that they are very soory for your experience but they have no control over how the dealers do business.

I had something similar happen when I bought a new (yes new) tank for my 620. I was quoted $1150 for it and when the tank showed the price was $1660. If I hadnt needed the tank for a raceweekend Id already paid for in advance Id have told them to shove the tank.
I sent a nice email to Jer Stewart @ DNA and while she replied nicely enough she said there wasnt anything she could (or would) do as the dealers are their own businesses. Needless to say that is the last item I bought from that dealer and I will not recommend them to anyone.

G

·

The closest dealer i've got is 200 and 250 miles away
both are not worth the trip,i am doing the work myself.
I've red enought horror stories.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts