Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been anxiously waiting to get my monster started up after about 3 months of winter storage. After putting the battery back in, I eventually got it running and warmed it up for about ten minutes. I tried starting it again and again and it would not turn over, and still won't as of this AM. Is this a fuel problem (I did add stabilizer when I stored it away for the winter), if so, how do I drain the tank. I guess this could also be a plug problem. ??? What do you all recommend as being the next step? Thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
376 Posts
If it won't turn over, it's neither a fuel or plug problem, it's most likely a battery problem. Did you have your battery on a battery tender? If not, your battery may be dead, or weak. The other culprit may be the connections, did you make sure that the battery connections were clean when you reinstalled the battery? If when you did get the Monster running the first time, if you didn't let it run long enough, you may have drained the battery by starting it, but didn't let it run long enough to charge the battery back up. Hope that gives you some ideas. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just re read your post, and see that you let it run for 10 minutes, that should have been enough time to charge the battery so it would re-start, so maybe you have bad connections, or possibly a bad battery.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Put about 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol in the tank, put your charger on the battery & leave it on while cranking, & have a little starting fluid standing by. It'll ,start.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've kept the battery on the tender while on the bike, I will pick up some rubbing EtOH and see if that does it...thanks fellas...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I tried a little rubbing EtOH in the tank, and it still wouldn't start. Decided to check the plugs - crap, there was a lot of black tar-looking buildup on the electrodes. Does that mean it is running to rich? If so, i have a K&N filter I can throw in to possibly help lean it out, whatcha think? I put new plugs in and it started up like a charm ;D

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Good ol' starter fluid will kick anything over. Easier & cheaper than new plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts