Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twas a lazy Sunday afternoon. 37 celsius and too hot to go for a ride. I decided to install the newly arrived K&N crank case filter kit I recently recieved from TPO. While setting up I noticed this nasty little mess....

The cable is an earth from the battery. It is properly grounded on the engine case just above and behind the clutch. Unfurtunately the cable was in contact with the rear cylinder head and has burned off the protective clear coat on the engine in the spot shown.

Has anyone had this problem before? IUs there a way to patch it? Will it oxidize if left unattended???

Any advice most welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You don't really need a covering on the ground wire, I'd just ignore it, & maybe clean up the area with a few tie wraps.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You could clean off the affected area and apply some silver paint, and you're good to go. And zipties like Norm said.

Might want to check that the fuel line in the picture isn't getting into any mischief. Our fuel pumps can supply gasoline at a prodigious rate, so leaks from a worn-through hose can get ugly fast...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't really need a covering on the ground wire, I'd just ignore it, & maybe clean up the area with a few tie wraps.
It's not the covering on the earth I am worried about (though I think you do need it, especially in close prox to fuel lines) It is the clear coat on the cylinder head itself.

The paint has burned right off and that yellow circle shows the hole. I'm just wondering if it will oxidise and get worse?

P.S. The fuel tank is flipped up in this pick so the fuel lines look like they are closer to the engine than they normally sit.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
just do what speeddog said - a dab of paint. you could evev leave it alone. the ugly spot won't hurt and you are the only one (besides us) who will know it is there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts