Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I cut say 2-4 inches from my termis, will I have any backpressure on my S2R1K :'(? I have full Termi setup and don't want to cut a few inches if I will have my monsta hesitating while giving it gas. I want to get a depper throaty sound . Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Mynor

·
Registered
737 Posts
you won't gain back pressure from shortening your mufflers. you will likely loose some but that's not exactly better either.

to have an idea of how your motor handles less back pressure you can simply remove the mufflers and ride around until your motor is at normal operating temperature. make note of any differences in idle and throttle response. that's a start.

as for sound. shortening the mufflers will make them louder but not necessarily throatier. it really depends on each muffler design. typically, a carbon fiber muffler will be throatier and a titanium one will be raspier when comparing identical designs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Waldorf said:
you won't gain back pressure from shortening your mufflers. you will likely loose some but that's not exactly better either.

to have an idea of how your motor handles less back pressure you can simply remove the mufflers and ride around until your motor is at normal operating temperature. make note of any differences in idle and throttle response. that's a start.
Did these bikes suddenly become a 2 stroke ???

Last time I checked, only 2 strokes require backpressure. 4 stroke motors are hindered by it.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My pipes are carbon 8). I will remove them and see how that goes. I want a throaty sound and of course a bit louder. Maybe I can get the best of both worlds. We'll see.

Mynor

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mynor, I sent you an email

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I had a set of carbon high pipes that I took out the packing and shortened by 4 inches. I noticed right off that the pipes sounded more "tingy". It was probably the combination, but I didn't like the noise it eminated. I think the pipes need the length to sound throaty .The pipes were def louder. I went back to the longer pipes. I would never want to take that throaty exhaust noise that Ducs are known for.
MM

·
Registered
288 Posts
The deepness of the exhaust note is determined mainly by the pipe diameter and baffle volume (probably in that order too). The larger the baffle volume and the larger the pipe diameter, the deeper the note. Shortening your cans is not going to make the exhaust sound deeper; it should have the opposite effect.

Shortening the mufflers will reduce back pressure, but not by much at all really. I doubt it would even be noticable as far as performance goes. The big different you get in switching from stock cans to to aftermarket cans is the drastic change in pipe diameter.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Yea, what Waldorf said. And Nibs too. Where'd you guys learn all this stuff? [clap]

Better leave those muffins alone. Carbon Termis don't sound good enough?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Although I switched to a different pipe, I started out doing what you want. I swapped them out because I was tired of the alignment issues and the fact that you have to remove them each time you do an oil change. But to your point. If you pruchased the DP ECU and had the airbox opened, there will be no noticable change in performance, no backfiring (unless you get an air leak in the headers), and no noticable change in backpressure.

The first picture shows the finished product. I think I removed 2 1/2 inches. Notice how you can draw a straignt line from the end of the tail to the back of the tire and the pipes line up too. To get a better look, I replaced the big Termi stickers with the smaller Termi stickers (as pictured). You can buy them on eBay.

There is a whole thread on all of this stuff with lots of pictures and tips. The second picture shows what was removed. The third picture is not very good, but it shows the before and after shot.

Other links:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=39514.0
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php/topic,10898.0.html
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=50361.0

·
Registered
165 Posts
my exhaust is significantly deep, even with the baffle-less ARC Fabrication pipes. I think it's the large interior volume and reverse mecacone construction.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts